Design Table auto created only some of the configurations

jmongi
Answers: 0

Design Table auto created only some of the configurations

Unread post by jmongi »

So, I'm trying my hand at some design configurations. I created a design table, all the data is in there fine (this is for a compressed split lock washer). All of the # labels got created as a configuration (i.e. #2 size, #8 size, etc).

However, the fractional sizes did not get created (1/4, 5/16, 3/4, etc). Any thoughts? Is this a special character issue? I'm surprised "#" worked where "/" isn't.
Designated Pot-Stirrer
jmongi
Answers: 0

Re: Design Table auto created only some of the configurations

Unread post by jmongi »

Well, that was the answer. Changed "/" and they came in.

But...for some reason the whole numbers "1" and "2" got removed from the list? That one has me stumped.

To clarify, I had a list of sizes from 1/4 to 2. While the rogue character prevented SW from autogenerating configurations named that way, they still existed in the table itself. But, when I rebuilt all configurations, somehow the 1 and the 2 rows were just nuked from the table. I now realize (from recopying and pasting the original data) that it has done this before too. Any idea what is going on?
Designated Pot-Stirrer
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

jmongi wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:05 pm Well, that was the answer. Changed "/" and they came in.

But...for some reason the whole numbers "1" and "2" got removed from the list? That one has me stumped.

To clarify, I had a list of sizes from 1/4 to 2. While the rogue character prevented SW from autogenerating configurations named that way, they still existed in the table itself. But, when I rebuilt all configurations, somehow the 1 and the 2 rows were just nuked from the table. I now realize (from recopying and pasting the original data) that it has done this before too. Any idea what is going on?
Maybe your configs are set in alphabetical order and that causes it to misplace it in comparison to your design table?

1 would be before 1/16 I believe in that case and 2 would be before 3/16"

I numbered them in decimal because I was running into something similar if I remember correctly.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Random inexplicable problems in Solidworks? That's hard to believe.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
XHawkeye
Answers: 1

Unread post by XHawkeye »

Can't use '/' as a configuration name.
Capture180.JPG
Capture180.JPG (19.65 KiB) Viewed 406 times
In our system, 95% of the time configuration name = our P/N so the '/' isn't missed. But when I've used fractions in configuration names, like Alex I've used decimals and then use the faction in the configuration description.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

I purposely add a part number field to my design tables and don't use the configuration name as the part number for this reason. When you do BOM you can add a column for any property.