Color Display Mode

Tapani Sjöman
Answers: 0

Color Display Mode

Unread post by Tapani Sjöman »

I was wondering why my drawings looked odd and by accident noticed that my Color Display Mode was activated by accident.

So thought to share in case someone else is facing this.

SW 2022 SP 4.0.
image.png
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Color Display Mode

Unread post by gupta9665 »

My friend @Dan Bovinich calls this button an evil button :P
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

gupta9665 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:45 am My friend @Dan Bovinich calls this button an evil button :P
I agree with him. Does anyone know what purpose that setting is supposed to serve (other than frustrating users)? Maybe whoever put that in there has a financial interest in a company that makes heartburn medication, or alcohol?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:53 am I agree with him. Does anyone know what purpose that setting is supposed to serve (other than frustrating users)? Maybe whoever put that in there has a financial interest in a company that makes heartburn medication, or alcohol?
image.png
The best part about this button is that when it is 'ON' (i.e. pressed in) you typically get LESS color, which is odd for a button labeled Color Display Mode. The button gets really fun in drawings with blocks, especially if they are in the sheet format and on the sheet. Here's a drawing with two notes and three logos:
image.png
The first note is a regular note. The second note is a block. The top logo is geometry on the sheet, the middle logo is a block on the sheet and the bottom logo is a block in the sheet format. When I toggle the button, I get this:
image.png
Glenn Schroeder

JSculley wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:35 am image.png

The best part about this button is that when it is 'ON' (i.e. pressed in) you typically get LESS color, which is odd for a button labeled Color Display Mode. The button gets really fun in drawings with blocks, especially if they are in the sheet format and on the sheet. Here's a drawing with two notes and three logos:
image.png
The first note is a regular note. The second note is a block. The top logo is geometry on the sheet, the middle logo is a block on the sheet and the bottom logo is a block in the sheet format. When I toggle the button, I get this:

image.png
Okay. Now that we know its intended purpose, I wonder if anyone actually uses it for that purpose?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:53 am I agree with him. Does anyone know what purpose that setting is supposed to serve (other than frustrating users)? Maybe whoever put that in there has a financial interest in a company that makes heartburn medication, or alcohol?
It's for those of us that remember when it didn't exist. :twisted:

I think it was added around the time layers were added....so a way to toggle between layer/line colors and system (underdefined, overdefined, etc) colors. It's rare for us to have it set to system except for the few cases we're troubleshooting some 2d sketch geometry.
Jason
Glenn Schroeder

jcapriotti wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:29 pm It's for those of us that remember when it didn't exist. :twisted:

I think it was added around the time layers were added....so a way to toggle between layer/line colors and system (underdefined, overdefined, etc) colors. It's rare for us to have it set to system except for the few cases we're troubleshooting some 2d sketch geometry.
I can't count the number of posts I've seen on this forum and the old one where someone toggled it by mistake and couldn't figure out what happened, but I don't remember ever seeing a case where someone used it intentionally, or recommended its use to someone else.

zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

just, don't touch it. :lol:
Attachments
hands-stop.gif
hands-stop.gif (51.84 KiB) Viewed 584 times
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau