BOM Item numbers across multipl sheets

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

BOM Item numbers across multipl sheets

Unread post by TTevolve »

So we do a bunch of welded assemblies where we have a main BOM on the first sheet and have configurations of the assembly on sequential sheets showing how to add parts to make the final complete assembly. Kind of like following a Lego booklet to build a lego model.

Our manager wants the BOM item numbers for parts on the successive sheets to be the same as it is on the Main BOM. I know I can get the balloons to be the same by using the "Link balloon text to specified table" and have it use BOM on the first sheet, but is there a why to get a configuration BOM table where you have only some parts shown to have matching item numbers?
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: BOM Item numbers across multipl sheets

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

AS you probably know, BOM's are linked to a specific configuration. In the situation you described I would recommend hiding components in display states instead of suppressing them in configurations. By doing that, the balloon numbers will match the one BOM with no extra work from the user since all drawing views will be of the same configuration, but reference different display states.

As an added benefit, the Assembly file size will almost certainly be smaller.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Link your drawing views to the BOM and you should be good.
image.png
Jason
TTevolve

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:32 am AS you probably know, BOM's are linked to a specific configuration. In the situation you described I would recommend hiding components in display states instead of suppressing them in configurations. By doing that, the balloon numbers will match the one BOM with no extra work from the user since all drawing views will be of the same configuration, but reference different display states.

As an added benefit, the Assembly file size will almost certainly be smaller.
Is it possible to have a BOM only show the items that are shown in the display state of the assembly on that sheet?

jcapriotti that works for making the ballons have the same item numbers as the table on the 1st sheet, but BOM's on other sheets will still have different item numbers.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

TTevolve wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:48 pm Is it possible to have a BOM only show the items that are shown in the display state of the assembly on that sheet?

jcapriotti that works for making the ballons have the same item numbers as the table on the 1st sheet, but BOM's on other sheets will still have different item numbers.
You can set any view on any sheet point to the same BOM. All you have to do is select the correct BOM in the list.

You can set components of an assembly as "excluded from BOM" based on what configuration you have.
image.png
image.png
Then you can create configurations with different things that are excluded from the BOM for only a specific configuration.
After that, create your views, set the configuration for that view, then create a BOM from the view and the correct things will be missing from the BOM.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Glenn Schroeder

TTevolve wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:48 pm Is it possible to have a BOM only show the items that are shown in the display state of the assembly on that sheet?
No. Perhaps I misunderstood what you're trying to do.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Glenn Schroeder

TTevolve wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:48 pm jcapriotti that works for making the ballons have the same item numbers as the table on the 1st sheet, but BOM's on other sheets will still have different item numbers.
So you want a BOM for each configuration, with rows for just the components in that configuration on each, and you want the numbers to match? If yes, that's going to be a tough one. I believe most people would recommend having just one BOM, with all the views referencing it.

josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

The only close to practical way I can think of for this would be to put BOMs on each sheet that are driven by the views on that sheet, then have a macro that would look through all the BOMs in a drawing and sync up the balloon numbers to the BOM on the first sheet. It would not be parametric, if something changed in any BOM you’d have to run the macro again.
TTevolve

josh wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:15 pm The only close to practical way I can think of for this would be to put BOMs on each sheet that are driven by the views on that sheet, then have a macro that would look through all the BOMs in a drawing and sync up the balloon numbers to the BOM on the first sheet. It would not be parametric, if something changed in any BOM you’d have to run the macro again.

I told my boss that I thought the only way to do this would be to manually change them on subsequent sheets, but that anytime the BOM on the first sheet changed you would have to update them. A macro would help somewhat, but it's still a manual process and can lead to errors.

I also thought maybe about putting a item number custom property value in each part, as long as we didn't put a sub assembly in that might work. We hide the auto item number column and show the inputted one. But again a lot of extra work and prone to errors.

I didn't think there was an easy way to do what he wanted. Thanks
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

TTevolve wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:50 am I told my boss that I thought the only way to do this would be to manually change them on subsequent sheets, but that anytime the BOM on the first sheet changed you would have to update them. A macro would help somewhat, but it's still a manual process and can lead to errors.

I also thought maybe about putting a item number custom property value in each part, as long as we didn't put a sub assembly in that might work. We hide the auto item number column and show the inputted one. But again a lot of extra work and prone to errors.

I didn't think there was an easy way to do what he wanted. Thanks
Use display states instead of configurations. Then the BOM will be identical on each sheet. Hide rows in the BOM that aren't relevant on each sheet:
image.png
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

JSculley wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:43 am Use display states instead of configurations. Then the BOM will be identical on each sheet. Hide rows in the BOM that aren't relevant on each sheet:
image.png
Jim's onto something here. That should work.
But, if this is a weldment and you don't want to deal with Display States, then you can use Select Bodies to only show the bodies you want to show in each view.
Though, I do think Jim's solution is better because the model reflects the view you want in the drawing and you can select it in the model by choosing the Display State. My suggested method is more cumbersome if changes are made.
Attachments
image.png
Craig Schultz
Answers: 0

Unread post by Craig Schultz »

JSculley wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:43 am Use display states instead of configurations. Then the BOM will be identical on each sheet. Hide rows in the BOM that aren't relevant on each sheet:
image.png
I asked for this years ago so that SW would mimic SW Composer with the BOMs. The BOM table only gets populated with the parts that are ballooned on each sheet. It was "elevated" (or something) to a higher new feature, and it has dies on the vine since then. You'd think that if they have it in one of their products, it wouldn't be reinventing the wheel when it came to adding the feature to another product in their portfolio.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

TTevolve wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:17 am So we do a bunch of welded assemblies where we have a main BOM on the first sheet and have configurations of the assembly on sequential sheets showing how to add parts to make the final complete assembly. Kind of like following a Lego booklet to build a lego model.

Our manager wants the BOM item numbers for parts on the successive sheets to be the same as it is on the Main BOM. I know I can get the balloons to be the same by using the "Link balloon text to specified table" and have it use BOM on the first sheet, but is there a why to get a configuration BOM table where you have only some parts shown to have matching item numbers?
Hey mate, sorry I was on vacation. Here's a macro to link desired sheets to the desired BOM Table. I believe @gupta9665 was the one who developped it.

You can link all sheets to one BOM Table too, that's how I use it.
Attachments
LinkViewsToBOM.swp
(149.5 KiB) Downloaded 46 times