how can i run two SW setup

Assis As
Answers: 0

how can i run two SW setup

Unread post by Assis As »

i have model which is running simualtion with some fixed boundaries that can not change for motion analysis , how can i run same model where i can change boundaries and do Motion study
by DanPihlaja » Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:20 pm
Assis As wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:27 pm i have model which is running simualtion with some fixed boundaries that can not change for motion analysis , how can i run same model where i can change boundaries and do Motion study
If you have a beefy computer, you can run 2 sessions of Solidworks at the same time (this will use 2 licenses). But my advice is to use a 2nd computer, because if it is running slow, then running a 2nd session will slow you down even more.
Go to full post
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: how can i run two SW setup

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Assis As wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:27 pm i have model which is running simualtion with some fixed boundaries that can not change for motion analysis , how can i run same model where i can change boundaries and do Motion study
If you have a beefy computer, you can run 2 sessions of Solidworks at the same time (this will use 2 licenses). But my advice is to use a 2nd computer, because if it is running slow, then running a 2nd session will slow you down even more.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I don't know about simulation, but I only have 1 license and I can run multiple instances of SW on my computer at the same time.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

SPerman wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:48 pm I don't know about simulation, but I only have 1 license and I can run multiple instances of SW on my computer at the same time.

image.png
Really!? I assumed that it took another license. In fact, I remember a VAR telling me that exact thing. That 2 sessions of Solidworks on the same tube used 2 licenses..

Hrmm. Well then, looks like i was wrong. (I have been wrong before....this is generally what it looks like)
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Don't think you should work on same model while sim is running.
The second session might lock the file and sim will crash.

I ran 4 different versions SW at the same time.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

At one point, you can run 2 different versions or more on different computer with online license.
They broke it fast.

It could be different with network license.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

To open the same model twice you'll need to rename it, not just a different folder, must be different name. AFAIK, Solidworks will not allow you to load the same file in two instances of sldworks.exe at the same time.

This is not the reason we do sim on copies of the "real" file, but that practice does help with the scenario you describe.

Edit: I was wrong about SW not allowing you to load the same file twice. It will not open the same file from the same location; it will ask if you want to open a "copy" of the file. It will allow you to load the same file name from a different directory, but I would avoid that as it will likely lead to problems.
john@layketool.com

Unread post by john@layketool.com »

With the stand alone desktop license you can open multiple sessions of Solidworks including different versions. As for loading the same part in 2 different sessions, you can do that but the first one you open will be the only one you're able to make any changes to since the others will open "READ ONLY". You could close the first part opened and then it should ask if you want to save it on the other session you're running
Peter De Vlieger

Unread post by Peter De Vlieger »

Multiple sessions of solidworks on one computer?

Heck, I'm happy if even just one session runs without throwing a fit, freezing or crashing

By the by, running multiple session is indeed not impossible but it wil mean that the auto recovery functionality won't work AT ALL instead of only some of the time.
Assis As

Unread post by Assis As »

Peter De Vlieger wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:46 am Multiple sessions of solidworks on one computer?

Heck, I'm happy if even just one session runs without throwing a fit, freezing or crashing

By the by, running multiple session is indeed not impossible but it wil mean that the auto recovery functionality won't work AT ALL instead of only some of the time.
same scenario here :(