PDM: Push User initials to drawing on file open

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
PMarcotte
Answers: 0

PDM: Push User initials to drawing on file open

Unread post by PMarcotte »

How can I push the CAD user's initials to the drawing properties on file open, or on Check out? Boss wants "Created by", "Drawn by", "Verified by" and "Approved by" to potentially be all different instances. The same person can do 2-3 things, of course, but the "verifier" cannot be the same as the "creator".

Thanx
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Re: PDM: Push User initials to drawing on file open

Unread post by jcapriotti »

You can't on open as far as I know. In PDM you would handle something like this with a workflow transition action.

So say you have a basic workflow with states (In Progress, In Review, Released). Once a file is "Released", the user transitions the file from "Released" to "In Progress" and you setup transition actions that set "Revised By" and "Revised Date". Same thing for approvals when going from "In Review" to "Released". There is a transition permission option to not allow the same person to transition twice in a row "Disallow sequential state changes" so that whomever submits from "In Progress" to "In Review", they can't also approve the "In Review" and send to "Released", even if in the same group.
Jason
PMarcotte
Answers: 0

Re: PDM: Push User initials to drawing on file open

Unread post by PMarcotte »

Hi jcapriotti, thanks for the reply. I know the transition actions. I'd like the system to input the user's initials by itself, read-only. I could have the initials pushed in the subsequent transition, I guess, or have some kind of macro, but that seems a little overkill.
The hunt continues...