Advice please

Alibre, FreeCAD, Sketchup, ZX, AutoCAD, Microstation,
PeterS
Answers: 0

Advice please

Unread post by PeterS »

Hello,
I'm new to CAD software, and normally use paper, pencil, ruler and compass to plan the small projects I make in wood. I'm looking for advice on a simple, easy to learn and preferably free package. I don't need lots of fancy functions and initially 2d would suffice, but 3d could be useful and something to work up to. My most important requirements are that it runs on Windows and allows A4 printouts to scale.
I'm newly retired and enjoy incorporating movement into woodwork, which usually involves planning intricate and custom mechanisms. I then stick the paper templates to the wood and cut using a scrollsaw. My current project involves making a wooden "Geneva Mechanism" (Google it) which converts continuous rotation into intermittent rotation for a small display unit. Ultimately I plan to advance to making wooden pendulum clocks. I have a gear generator program which lets me design and print out cog drawings, but of course, that is all it does. I think that learning a CAD program should make the design an modification easier and probably more accurate.
Hopefully someone will advise me on suitable software.
Thank you.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Advice please

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hello PeterS,

Here's a list I'd suggest you search, install and try out.
All of them are good and worth considering depending on how you want to start and work.
Good luck!

(in order of free to paid (or low cost maker/hobbyist versions)
FreeCad
Plasticity
DesignSpark
Moi3D
Rhino3D
Alibre
Cobalt
Shapr3D
OnShape
IronCad
Fusion 360
SolidWorks
SolidEdge
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
PeterS

Unread post by PeterS »

Thank you @zxys001

For my purposes, I'm erring towards FreeCad, as it is free, has a help community and looks to have far more capability than I need.
Is there a reason that SketchUp is not in your list? SketchUp Free is one that I have heard of, and had a little dabble with about 10 years ago, but never really got going with it and lost interest. How does SketchUp compare to FreeCad?
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

PeterS wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:10 pm Thank you @zxys001

For my purposes, I'm erring towards FreeCad, as it is free, has a help community and looks to have far more capability than I need.
Is there a reason that SketchUp is not in your list? SketchUp Free is one that I have heard of, and had a little dabble with about 10 years ago, but never really got going with it and lost interest. How does SketchUp compare to FreeCad?
Hi PeterS,
Honestly I'm not well informed with SketchUp (I typically import their files into Rhino3d
D). I think SketchUp is mainly a polygon modeler or it has some brep kernel for handling nurbs (step files)? It maybe worth trying if you prefer the work flow?
I think FreeCad is a good starting point. :)
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
PeterS

Unread post by PeterS »

Thanks @zxys001
You're overestimating my knowledge talking about brep kernels and nurbs, not a clue :D ! However, I do remember SketchUp doing circles as polygons. They only looked like circles if you entered a large enough number of polygon sides. My internet searches have told me that a lot of people don't get on with the way SketchUp works, which possibly explains why I didn't progress with it 10 years ago, unless I'm just a bit thick o[ .
So I'm definitely going to give FreeCad a good trial, and hopefully I will at least master the basics so I can do my two dimensional plans without needing a pencil, paper and eraser.
Great to have your input on this to help get me on the first step of the ladder into CAD.
Cheers,
Pete.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

There's nothing wrong with freecad, but if you decide you want to explore some of the other options, many of them have versions that are free for non-commercial use.

I've got a paid license of Solidworks, but I've also got Fusion 360, NX and Solidedge installed and use from time to time for one task or another.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mgibeault
Answers: 1

Unread post by mgibeault »

My advice would be to try Onshape.
They have a free version (not the tryout version) that is very powerful. I do all my personnal work with it now.
It's modern and robust and you won't have to manage files on your computer, it works like Google Docs. That also mean you don't need a powerful computer.
len_1962

Unread post by len_1962 »

mgibeault wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:59 pm My advice would be to try Onshape.
They have a free version (not the tryout version) that is very powerful. I do all my personnal work with it now.
It's modern and robust and you won't have to manage files on your computer, it works like Google Docs. That also mean you don't need a powerful computer.
Problem with the free version is the file are shared to the world, not yours in secured place.

here: https://www.onshape.com/en/products/free