Creating your own CAD Forum

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
burhop
Answers: 0

Creating your own CAD Forum

Unread post by burhop »

I'll be interested to see how this goes!
More interested in the future of CAD than today's CAD. :geek:
http://burhop.github.io
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Creating your own CAD Forum

Unread post by matt »

Well, hopefully you can be part of it. A leading question here and there can help drive interesting discussions. I know you're involved in a lot of interesting stuff, even if it isn't directly related to SW or even CAD. I'm sure we can find a better place than just the off-topic broom closet for you.

It's cool that you've kept the same 2nd life avatar for what, 20 years?
burhop

Unread post by burhop »

Thanks, matt.

I did just do a podcast for DesignWorld. Would be good to hear from real designers where they think CAD should go :-)

https://soundcloud.com/design-world/res ... ufacturing
JimWright2

Unread post by JimWright2 »

matt wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:10 pm It's cool that you've kept the same 2nd life avatar for what, 20 years?
Siemens has a new meeting tool that uses avatars in a simulated 3D environment. I say "looks just like 2nd Life." All the young 'uns say "Wut?" :lol:
Jim Wright
"Leave out a period in a sentence and it's called a typo. Leave out a period in an NC Program and it's called a machine crash."
matt

Unread post by matt »

JimWright2 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:59 am Siemens has a new meeting tool that uses avatars in a simulated 3D environment. I say "looks just like 2nd Life." All the young 'uns say "Wut?" :lol:
You'd think with all the talk about augmented reality that things like 2nd life would be getting a second life, so to speak, especially with the young 'uns.
burhop

Unread post by burhop »

Haha! My Avatar is from 2007 and now I can't get rid of it or no one will know me. I think immersive environments are great but I learned from back then that those things have a limited appeal. I fear the young 'uns are learning this again with AR and VR.
matt

Unread post by matt »

burhop wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 am Haha! My Avatar is from 2007 and now I can't get rid of it or no one will know me. I think immersive environments are great but I learned from back then that those things have a limited appeal. I fear the young 'uns are learning this again with AR and VR.
VR was going to be a thing back in the pre-2000 time. Right up there with eliminating paper drawings. It's funny how some technology (additive) makes the grade and people get it, and some just doesn't.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:36 am
burhop wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 am Haha! My Avatar is from 2007 and now I can't get rid of it or no one will know me. I think immersive environments are great but I learned from back then that those things have a limited appeal. I fear the young 'uns are learning this again with AR and VR.
VR was going to be a thing back in the pre-2000 time. Right up there with eliminating paper drawings. It's funny how some technology (additive) makes the grade and people get it, and some just doesn't.
As I've mentioned before at "the other place", if we issued tablets to our construction crew instead of paper drawings they'd need a new one on a weekly basis.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

matt wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:36 am VR was going to be a thing back in the pre-2000 time. Right up there with eliminating paper drawings. It's funny how some technology (additive) makes the grade and people get it, and some just doesn't.
This reminds me of VR when I was in high school around 1990. The mall had these VR games (boxing and shooting) for like $5 per game. I thought then the future is VR and and we'll all be plugged in soon. Here we are 30 years later and still not much on it...…and where's my flying car dammit.
Jason