Mission Statement

Several announcements for new users.
matt
Answers: 18

Mission Statement

Unread post by matt »

The mission statement is meant to get a group of people all working together toward a goal. Each person has their own personal goals and personal style, but we should be able to agree on a few things when it comes to this CAD Forum.

1) By CAD users, For CAD users. (and analysts, and machinists, and industrial designers, and engineers, and technicians, and consultants,...) Discussion will center around CAD and all of its sources, resources, and results.

2) It is the founder's desire to make this site a destination for CAD discussions of all stripes. Although the bulk of the initial members are refugees from the SolidWorks forum upgrades, cross-CAD, multi-CAD, and CAD agnostic discussions are not only welcome, but encouraged. Topics up- and down-stream from CAD are also welcome. From hand sketching to maintenance of drawings.

3) To do this, we need to attract both experienced and inexperienced users . Professionals and students. We need an exchange of information. Questions and answers.

4) Realize that the best draw is good content. If you learn something valuable, write it up and share it with us. If you come across a cool video showing products you've made, we'll share your wonderment (yes, it's a word, I looked it up).

5) The tone should be positive and helpful. A sense of humor definitely helps. An occasional troll isn't out of line. A little snark or sarcasm can lighten the mood sometimes. This cannot really be enforced, but look at it more as a suggested mindset to help us achieve goals.
Rob
Answers: 2

Re: Mission Statement

Unread post by Rob »

@matt I agree with your sentiments exactly and cannot thank you enough for stepping up to give us a new home.

It is a clean slate - we have the opportunity to build an amazing resource together.

As the forum grows - I truly hope we can keep it clean and focused on all things CAD.

One of the reasons I used to love the old forum was because it was different to the rest of the internet, but in the last year or so off-topic stuff crept in that created division.

Please, please can we keep this a politics free zone.

I want to be inspired by other peoples work, learn the best practises, discover creative solutions and just maybe help with any problems.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Fred Outlaw wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:33 pm I'm having a frustrating experience. I'm here for solidworks DESKTOP content and when I click on the "CAD Agnostic" thread or any of the other threads related to non-solidworks CAD software, I see all kinds of stuff I DON'T WANT TO SEE! How do I UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS!?!?
CAD Agnostic is stuff related to CAD in general but not necessarily related to Solidworks. I'm not sure what you don't want to see, but I'd guess if you're hoping to see Solidworks stuff, you could try the Solidworks forum area.

Are there some specific questions you have?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Fred Outlaw wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:33 pm I'm having a frustrating experience. I'm here for solidworks DESKTOP content and when I click on the "CAD Agnostic" thread or any of the other threads related to non-solidworks CAD software, I see all kinds of stuff I DON'T WANT TO SEE! How do I UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS!?!?
Hey Fred,

You're not subscribed to any of this, no worries. You're just having a hard time navigating through.

When you are at the Board Index, what you see are categories and their sub-categories, CAD Agnostic being a sub-category. These categories can be collapsed by clicking on the minus symbol on the right. Doing so will hide all sub-categories. (Circled in red on the screenshot)

Sub-categories will contain the threads you are looking for. I'm not sure you can or would want to subscribe to a sub-category. In your case, the sub category you'd be looking for is the one under CAD Agnostic. Each sub-category can have sub-forums. (I underlined the sub-category that I believe you are looking for)
image.png
Cheers
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

If you don
't want to see any of that other stuff then follow the forum from this page: https://www.cadforum.net/viewforum.php?f=3
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"