Convergent modeling in Solid Edge

Solid Edge, Synchronous Technology, Convergent Technology, and Siemens!
Ryan-3DS
Answers: 0

Convergent modeling in Solid Edge

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

Gang-
I was hoping to get an update on convergent modeling in Solid Edge. As I recall convergent modeling required a Reverse Engineering add-in. Now that was way back in Solid Edge ST10. I was wondering if anyone is actually using convergent modeling. I found the SE functional matrix and it shows that convergent modeling is available at all SE levels. But the reverse engineering capabilities are in the Classic and Premium.
So what is the difference between CM and Reverse Engineering?

Many thanks!

Ryan
by KennyG » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:50 am
Ryan-3DS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:44 pm Thanks Kenny. So now that you have this model that has mixed facet and brep...can it be exported to anything? Or is STL the only option you really have?
It would have to be exported as a mesh (STL). Primary use case would be for additive manufacturing output. This also allows you to use Generative Design output, which is a mesh, and then add precise BREP geometry to it.

If you want BREP as an output, then you need to use the RE tools to convert the mesh to BREP.
Go to full post
KennyG
Answers: 7

Re: Convergent modeling in Solid Edge

Unread post by KennyG »

Ryan-3DS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:36 pm Gang-
I was hoping to get an update on convergent modeling in Solid Edge. As I recall convergent modeling required a Reverse Engineering add-in. Now that was way back in Solid Edge ST10. I was wondering if anyone is actually using convergent modeling. I found the SE functional matrix and it shows that convergent modeling is available at all SE levels. But the reverse engineering capabilities are in the Classic and Premium.
So what is the difference between CM and Reverse Engineering?

Many thanks!

Ryan
Ryan, the Reverse Engineering tools are aimed at taking a mesh model and converting it to a BREP model. Convergent Modeling allows you to keep the imported mesh model "as is" and add/subtract BREP features on the mesh body, thus creating a hybrid mesh/BREP body.
Ryan-3DS
Answers: 0

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

Thanks Kenny. So now that you have this model that has mixed facet and brep...can it be exported to anything? Or is STL the only option you really have?
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Ryan-3DS wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:44 pm Thanks Kenny. So now that you have this model that has mixed facet and brep...can it be exported to anything? Or is STL the only option you really have?
It would have to be exported as a mesh (STL). Primary use case would be for additive manufacturing output. This also allows you to use Generative Design output, which is a mesh, and then add precise BREP geometry to it.

If you want BREP as an output, then you need to use the RE tools to convert the mesh to BREP.