How to space holes at specific intervals around a cylinder

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
drewpaul
Answers: 0

How to space holes at specific intervals around a cylinder

Unread post by drewpaul »

I have the body of the part, but I am not able to figure out how to space the holes correctly. Here is what I have:
help pic1.png
Revolved to produce:
help pic2.png
What I need is to position three 1/4" holes spaced 120° apart around the cylinder, and .8" above the base of the cylinder.

This is the view of the opposite side.
help pic3.png
I need the center hole to be positioned along the axis, ie opposite of the notch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Drew Paul - AP
by Glenn Schroeder » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:57 am
Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the sketch I assume the part is hollow? If yes, use a simple Extruded Cut for the first hole. Start the sketch on a plane at the center of the part and parallel to the notch (create a new one there if there isn't already one there), then choose "Through All" for the end condition. Use the circular pattern for the other two (set to three instances evenly spaced).
Go to full post
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: How to space holes at specific intervals around a cylinder

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Welcome to the forum.

Looking at the sketch I assume the part is hollow? If yes, use a simple Extruded Cut for the first hole. Start the sketch on a plane at the center of the part and parallel to the notch (create a new one there if there isn't already one there), then choose "Through All" for the end condition. Use the circular pattern for the other two (set to three instances evenly spaced).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
ellundo

Unread post by ellundo »

I believe you can place the first hole opposite the notch where desired (using a 3D sketch) and then do a circular pattern for the other two.
drewpaul

Unread post by drewpaul »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:57 am Welcome to the forum.

Oh my gosh! Thank you! You made it so simple, I got the desired result in 2-3 minutes. I appreciate your time and assistance!
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

drewpaul wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:36 am Oh my gosh! Thank you! You made it so simple, I got the desired result in 2-3 minutes. I appreciate your time and assistance!
I'm glad I could help, and I like simple. Many of the people here who have known me for years (at least through this and other similar forums, if not in person) will probably be happy to tell you that I am simple. :D
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"