Copying a Exploded view from 1 file to another

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
JMOS4
Answers: 0

Copying a Exploded view from 1 file to another

Unread post by JMOS4 »

Hi all,

I have a file with an exploded view and a totally separate file with 70-85% the same parts and want to know is there a way to copy it to the new file.

I know you can copy from 1 configuration to another but have not seen anything to do what I am asking.

Regards,
Jim
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Copying a Exploded view from 1 file to another

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Have you tried copy/pasting the feature/configuration? If it 'works', it most likely won't give you the desired result but the jist of it should be done.

I don't work with exploded views so I've never tried.
JMOS4

Unread post by JMOS4 »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:57 am Have you tried copy/pasting the feature/configuration? If it 'works', it most likely won't give you the desired result but the jist of it should be done.

I don't work with exploded views so I've never tried.
Hi again,

Trying to past a configuration from another file only results in the file getting pasted into the other file. I am not sure there is a way to-do what I am purposing but if there was it would be a time savor for large assemblies.

Regards,

Jim
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

You could probably write a macro that recorded all of the mates in assembly 1, and then applied as many matched in assembly 2. The exploded view information would probably be a separate step.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
JMOS4

Unread post by JMOS4 »

SPerman wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:32 pm You could probably write a macro that recorded all of the mates in assembly 1, and then applied as many matched in assembly 2. The exploded view information would probably be a separate step.
Hi again,

Might have been an option if I thought of it before I created the first exploded view but since its already created not sure where I would start.

Worst case, just copy the moved from one assembly to the other one step at a time which I was hoping to avoid but is what it is as they say never hurts to ask.

Regards,
Jim