What is the image size for the macro button?

Programming and macros
mihkov
Answers: 0

What is the image size for the macro button?

Unread post by mihkov »

There is no normal specification for image size in pixels for the latest versions of SolidWorks. I did a little experiment and present the results. Ideally, the picture should be in .BMP format, white color will be perceived as a transparent background. Image dimensions should be 20x20 pixels or less. If the image is larger, it will shrink. It should be noted that this is true for the interface with small button icons.
ico_size.jpg
Hansjoerg
Answers: 3

Re: What is the image size for the macro button?

Unread post by Hansjoerg »

The Austrian reseller Planet Software recommends bitmaps with 22x21. -> https://www.cad.at/wissen/blog/individu ... ks-makros/

He also refers to an online converter with which you can make the conversion for free.
-> https://online-converting.com/image/convert2bmp/
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
mihkov

Unread post by mihkov »

Hansjoerg wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:59 am The Austrian reseller Planet Software recommends bitmaps with 22x21. -> https://www.cad.at/wissen/blog/individu ... ks-makros/
We can check such options.
width 22 height 21
height 21 width 22
ico_size2122.jpg
As you can see, it turns out badly.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I use 22x22 on most but I have some 128x128 which come out perfectly also.

I guess as long as it's square?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

These are 256 x 256 and work for me.
Attachments
Macro.zip
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mihkov

Unread post by mihkov »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:48 pm I use 22x22 on most but
I think that your size 22x22 was compressed to 20x20, but it coincided that it was not visually noticeable.
mihkov

Unread post by mihkov »

SPerman wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:16 pm These are 256 x 256 and work for me.
Just for information, what does your 256x256 icon look like (upper left) and what does the adapted 20x20 look like (upper right).
I love beautiful icons. Bottom left, as if I made myself an STL icon. On the right are examples of icons. It is very convenient to take standard Solidworks icons and adapt them by adding labels.
stl_l.jpg
stl_l.jpg (38.82 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
Hansjoerg

mihkov wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:34 am .... I love beautiful icons. .... It is very convenient to take standard Solidworks icons and adapt them by adding labels....
Hello Mikhov,
can you describe how and with what software you create the icons?
Artem gave me a tip a long time ago to try inkscape.

But so far I haven't found out how to save my graphic in BMP format in Inkscape.

How do you do that with your STL icon at the bottom left that the fine geometries are so well recognizable? With my icons everything is always blurred and absolutely not recognizable.
All the "good" news about SWX makes me feel like I'm driving a truck with two trailers straight into a dead end.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

mihkov wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:34 am Just for information, what does your 256x256 icon look like (upper left) and what does the adapted 20x20 look like (upper right).
I love beautiful icons. Bottom left, as if I made myself an STL icon. On the right are examples of icons. It is very convenient to take standard Solidworks icons and adapt them by adding labels.
stl_l.jpg
This is what my Macro Icons look like.
image.png
image.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 1587 times
I'm less worried about beauty, and more worried about easily identifiable.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Hansjoerg wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:00 pm
I've used both MS Paint and Gimp.
-
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Hansjoerg wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:00 pm can you describe how and with what software you create the icons?
I mostly just used powerpoint to create my macro icon... mainly because it can quickly recolor a solidworks icon that i grab from the help page
image.png
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
mihkov

Unread post by mihkov »

Hansjoerg wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:00 pm Hello Mikhov,
It so happens that I use Photoshop. This is too much for making icons - but it is convenient for me.
Somewhere on the Internet I found a canvas with most of the Solidworks icons on a white background. And I just take them and modify them.
I create a new 20x20 pixel file, copy the appropriate stock icons and combine them or recolor them.
I save it in BMP - the white color will be transparent.
Here is an example of how I make an Icon for saving PDF. You will need minimal skills in working with layers and understanding what transparency is. Canvas with icons in the archive and two PDF icons too.
ps.png
SPerman wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:10 pm I'm less worried about beauty, and more worried about easily identifiable.
It is absolutely clear that we are simply getting used to the location of the icon and its shape and color image. I'm just obsessed with beauty)))
ps1.png
ps1.png (15.74 KiB) Viewed 1508 times
Attachments
ico.zip
(331.11 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

mihkov wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:14 am It so happens that I use Photoshop. This is too much for making icons - but it is convenient for me.
Somewhere on the Internet I found a canvas with most of the Solidworks icons on a white background. And I just take them and modify them.
I create a new 20x20 pixel file, copy the appropriate stock icons and combine them or recolor them.
Here is an example of how I make an Icon for saving PDF. You will need minimal skills in working with layers and understanding what transparency is. Canvas with icons in the archive and two PDF icons too.
ps.png

It is absolutely clear that we are simply getting used to the location of the icon and its shape and color image. I'm just obsessed with beauty)))

ps1.png
It would be lovely if you would share some of your icons, they seem really well made and I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to use them and also find them "collected" in a single place such as a thread on a forum.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

This became icon OCD thread :lol:
Icon-01.jpg
Icon-01.jpg (1.01 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Icon-02.jpg
Icon-02.jpg (1.66 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Good to maintain consistency with the program.

There are program to extract icons from dll and exe files.
Screenshot then crop and scale works too.
I save them to PNG. Easier to keep transparent background.
Usually use Paint 3D.
Found out VS has icon editor too.
mihkov

Unread post by mihkov »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:02 am It would be lovely if you would share some of your icons, they seem really well made and I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to use them and also find them "collected" in a single place such as a thread on a forum.
Not all of my icons are 20x20 pixels, some are smaller. They are in the archive.
Attachments
my_ico.zip
(16.77 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Hansjoerg

mihkov wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:14 am Somewhere on the Internet I found a canvas with most of the Solidworks icons on a white background. And I just take them and modify them.
Thank you for sharing the icon collection.
With the help of your tutorial and the collection of icons I now also manage to create beautiful icons.

With a little practice that works even only with Paint. ><