Drug testing and CAD jobs

List your openings or availability here
ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Drug testing and CAD jobs

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

Been having a slight bit of an ethical quandary lately.

Hopefully I will not have too much judgement. Or have people secretly in the illuminate of drafting dox me and put me on some black list for even bringing it up..LOL!

I am almost halfway through my AAS in Drafting. Been doing REALLY well in classes. On honors list.

Of course I still think there are things I can work on. 3rd semester goes over BIM, 3D, and plant equipment and I want to wait for that before making my move. I think I am fairly competent at 2D autoCAD. Maybe not a master, but I can do blocks, xrefs, and figure out all but the most complex orthographic and isometric drawings. I can do more than just lines and circles, LOL! Though the stuff I have heard about people say is that real world stuff will be no where near as complex as the college subjects you to.

Problem?

Almost all the internships in my area drug test that my college sends to. One of them a hair test!

Now, I never was like Cheech and Chong. I have only ever been an occasional enjoyer. Not like some of those cats when I was working service industry in New Orleans. Those guys, a mosquito could bite them and get high. But I believe it is far safer and probably better for someone than drinking alcohol. And in my decades of living NEVER got in trouble or made myself a fool with pot. Alcohol, different story in my youth.

Now, I have stopped pot completely and am abstaining and will not take internships till January till totally cleaned out for hair and urine. I can take it or leave it and do what is responsible for myself and my familiy's financial well being.

But, it just seems to be such an invasion of privacy and really irrelevant. No responsible person shows up on something and the tests don't even show if you are showing up on something. Also, hypocritical. When I used to work in country clubs around owners of places, those people would get crazy drunk and their kids...wow.

What has y'all's experiences been like.

Thanks!
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Drug testing and CAD jobs

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I haven't had any experience with it, but if you reach a point in your job search where it becomes an issue my recommendation would be to explain to the person responsible for hiring you exactly what you wrote above. It's possible that they're testing for hard drugs and don't care about a little weed use.

If other people, who have had personal experience, tell you that's horrible advice I won't argue with them.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Federal gov't jobs require testing because weed is still illegal by fed law. State laws vary. That's the issue I've had to deal with. For some employers its not a disqualification, just a flag to look for other possible issues. Alcohol isn't illegal but you can get fired for doing stupid stuff after using it.

Sometimes also employment agencies will violate as much privacy as they are allowed to just to cover all the bases.
ctsturdiv

matt wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 9:11 am Federal gov't jobs require testing because weed is still illegal by fed law. State laws vary. That's the issue I've had to deal with. For some employers its not a disqualification, just a flag to look for other possible issues. Alcohol isn't illegal but you can get fired for doing stupid stuff after using it.

Sometimes also employment agencies will violate as much privacy as they are allowed to just to cover all the bases.
I am thinking it is mostly because of the location of my college. College is located and funded HEAVILY by chemical and petrol companies. So they get lots of internships from those type places. Strict places.

I have heard from other people that the consultancies don't. But the only people I know personally locally in my far extended network in consultancies are kinda jerks, to be honest. I don't have a very good relation with them. Heard it's very much nepotism. One was REALLY dismissive and smug when I asked advice and I think just got the job because he knew people. So, it's the college's resources or recruiters. Of course, dude has no room to talk :D

I did not get the last internship round as I think they all went to second year students. This latest one, I did not even send in a resume to because it said "hair test". Think professor has neutral attitude towards me, anyways and kind of want to hold off till the BIM stuff and PTEC stuff and see what I could do.

There is a part of me when this is over that is thinking just take one of these gigs for around 6 months then move away to another state. Preferably one without brutal summers. Talked to the wife about it, she is on board.

Anyways, laying off.

Worst comes to worse, one day I after I get experience I can have a job that cares more about my ability to work and less about personal life. barring that, when I turn 63 ish in around 12 years, retire and become a hippie.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

I want to get doctor note for minimum alcohol level in my blood.
I'm more awake with enough alcohol.
Coffee don't do anything.

I'll say I can drive normal too but cops won't agree.
And those that can't even drive when they're not drunk.

So, choices.

Keep your hobby and limit your job opportunities which may or may not make any different.
Put hobby on hold and see if the grass/weed is greener on the other side.
Frederick_Law

BTW I needed to get security clearance twice to work on projects.
They didn't ask for drug test.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:11 pm BTW I needed to get security clearance twice to work on projects.
They didn't ask for drug test.
That might be the case Canada.
I guarantee the US is different about it.
ctsturdiv

matt wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:47 pm That might be the case Canada.
I guarantee the US is different about it.
If it is any consequence, I found out my state (Louisiana) just passed a law a while back that said that a positive for pot can not disqualify you if you have a valid medical card at least for state employment. I have also heard some other states have that, too.

I occasionally see ads for state employment civil drafting jobs in my field.

But I would not hold out just for one possible job. A state job that is hard to get at that because while the state typically pays less, a lot of people like those state benefits and retirement. No doubt A LOT of people apply for those.

Not taking any chances.

But still, a tremendous invasion of privacy and hypocritical as hell.

I mean if someone is messing up at work, just fire them. Not deny them employment or fire them because they imbibed 2 weeks ago at a wedding.
Frederick_Law

"But still, a tremendous invasion of privacy and hypocritical as hell."

Yes, there should not be speed limit. Let everyone drive as fast as they want.
The bad one will kill themselves.
Same with driving under influence.
Same with carrying weapons.

Remember, we are free to do anything as long as it doesn't endanger or harm other. Physically, mentally or any other way.
Most people forgot about that and just focus on what they're not allowed to do.
Frederick_Law

AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

It's legal in Canada and I smoke it to manage my anxiety but also because it helps me focus. I've never been asked to do drug tests but have never hidden that I smoke pot and enjoy drinking on the weekend.

IMHO, if your private life does not interfer with your professional life, then who cares, as long as you're not hurting anyone in the process.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:35 am "But still, a tremendous invasion of privacy and hypocritical as hell."

Yes, there should not be speed limit. Let everyone drive as fast as they want.
The bad one will kill themselves.
Same with driving under influence.
Same with carrying weapons.

Remember, we are free to do anything as long as it doesn't endanger or harm other. Physically, mentally or any other way.
Most people forgot about that and just focus on what they're not allowed to do.
Freedom comes with fences. You are free as long as you are within the boundaries of the fence. Without the fences anarchy ensues. Go outside the fence....you lose your freedom.

For every good thing that we have, there is a fence to protect it. This includes our freedom.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Frederick_Law

Too many believe they're free to take down that fence.
DLZ_SWX_User

Unread post by DLZ_SWX_User »

:arrow:
Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:03 pm Too many believe they're free to take down that fence.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

The marijuana laws in the US are crazy. Federal law says it is illegal everywhere. Several states say it is OK, but that doesn't mean the federal restriction disappears.

In parts of the deep south, just mentioning drug use will get you black balled. The last place I worked tested pre-employment. They also tested annually if you went to the track. If there was ever a work related injury, the insurance company requires a blood test. One of the guys in the body shop cut his hand pretty bad. They went to the local primary care, who said he needed to be taken to the ER. Before they could leave for the hospital HR was on the phone telling them to draw blood.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
ctsturdiv

SPerman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:25 am The marijuana laws in the US are crazy. Federal law says it is illegal everywhere. Several states say it is OK, but that doesn't mean the federal restriction disappears.

In parts of the deep south, just mentioning drug use will get you black balled. The last place I worked tested pre-employment. They also tested annually if you went to the track. If there was ever a work related injury, the insurance company requires a blood test. One of the guys in the body shop cut his hand pretty bad. They went to the local primary care, who said he needed to be taken to the ER. Before they could leave for the hospital HR was on the phone telling them to draw blood.
I have actually seen this.

A long time ago, I worked in a 5 star hotel.

There was a lady who worked as a prep cook who ended up slicing a finger in a meat cutter.

Took her to the hospital.

They were ready to pay to reattach the finger and fix her up, but before even trying to stop the blood made her take a urine drug test. Tested positive for weed.

All of the sudden, they refused to reattach the finger. Instead, stopping the blood at the stump. She also has zero worker comp or unemployment to float her while she healed and was immediately fired and not eligible for unemployment.

She probably was not even on weed coming in. She could have smoked it weeks ago.

But because of that, the hotel saw it fit to make her lose her finger and possibly look at homelessness unless she had family or friends to put her up.

Mean spirited and hypocritical.

But, you can down a bottle of vodka and come in hung over, be a-okay.

And, yeah. I am strongly considering once this degree is done, moving away from the Deep South. Wife is on board with it. My only fears are insane high costs of living and having to compete against everyone else who had that same idea who may have more experience and or talent than I have.
ctsturdiv

DanPihlaja wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:39 pm Freedom comes with fences. You are free as long as you are within the boundaries of the fence. Without the fences anarchy ensues. Go outside the fence....you lose your freedom.

For every good thing that we have, there is a fence to protect it. This includes our freedom.
Yes, but what if the fence is not to protect you, but to keep you contained and controlled?

“There is one kind of prison where the man is behind bars, and everything he desires is outside; and there is another kind where the things are behind the bars, and the man is outside.”

- Upton Sinclair
Frederick_Law

ctsturdiv wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:53 am and there is another kind where the things are behind the bars, and the man is outside.”
Yeap, we need to free all the money behind bar in the bank.
And give me all the guns and ammo behind bar in the gun shop.