Instance Properties in Solidworks?

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
GTR84
Answers: 0

Instance Properties in Solidworks?

Unread post by GTR84 »

Is it possible to have instance properties in Solidworks? For example I have a part that is used in different physical location but the parts themselves are identical, can there be a custom property that is specific only to the one instance of the part without being in every instance of the part in an assembly?

i hope that makes sense. I've come from using Revit where this is a straight forward task that parts can be identical and each instance of the part can have different "instance properties". Im hoping there is something similar in Solidworks
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Instance Properties in Solidworks?

Unread post by gupta9665 »

There can not be a custom property specific to that instance but you can have configuration property. But this would mean that you need to have different config for each instance.

Further can you please explain why you need to an instance specific custom property. What is the use or this is helpful?
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

You can have a configuration with the only difference being custom property.
image.png
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

The only way I can think of to attach extra information to individual instances of a component (other than the one "Component Reference" field of the Component Properties) would be to use Attributes. These are data packets that can be attached to stuff in SolidWorks, but only through the API. Not easy or particularly straightforward to implement, but could be done.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

You can place the component in a folder in the assembly and name the folder with the unique identifier that you want.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14