Something in Projected views crashes Solidworks

JuTu
Answers: 1

Something in Projected views crashes Solidworks

Unread post by JuTu »

"An unsupported operation was attempted." Ok?

Well, now that you asked - what did I do wrong here? Clicked a view? Added projected views to drawing?

Now I'm unable to edit this drawing due to the fact that SW crashes for some unknown reason and only thing so far is that it involves projected views.. Meh... It is not about the setting or properties. Maybe I just have to reinstall SW2020 ... again <()>

Anyone heard or seen this kind of behavior before?

Cheers!
Sincerely,
JuTu
Answers: 22

Re: Something in Projected views crashes Solidworks

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I wouldn't reinstall the software just yet. The first thing I'd suggest would be to shut down your computer and re-start it, if you haven't already done that.

If that doesn't work (and it probably won't, but it's worth trying), the next thing I'd suggest would be to open the Drawing and do a save-as to a new name. It's possible that Drawing became corrupt somehow and this will fix it. If you don't have the same problem with the new file, then you can delete the old one.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

is the DRW not to big ? file size ?

if mutiple sheets DRW, try opening (loading to memory) one sheet at the time, to localize the problem.

another hint is, do you use in your 3D "imported" files ? (usual bad habit for library)
because they often cause problems with cutted views, so maybe it can have a link with your problem.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

JuTu wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:44 am "An unsupported operation was attempted." Ok?

Well, now that you asked - what did I do wrong here? Clicked a view? Added projected views to drawing?

Now I'm unable to edit this drawing due to the fact that SW crashes for some unknown reason and only thing so far is that it involves projected views.. Meh... It is not about the setting or properties. Maybe I just have to reinstall SW2020 ... again <()>

Anyone heard or seen this kind of behavior before?

Cheers!
If you create a new drawing of this part, does it work without crashing? If so, the original drawing file is corrupt in some way. You could try copying the sheets from the old drawing to a new one so you won't really lose anything. Then see if it lets you create the projected views. If it still crashes, you could try the same but copy only individual views. If the problem still follows you may have to recreate the views.
Jason
David Matula
Answers: 0

Unread post by David Matula »

Where did the drawing come from? We used to copy old assemblies and drawings. Some were from the 90's and they would start causing problems. To fix this we started updating the drawing standards. We took a new drawing and saved the standard to a file, then when we open the old drawings we load the new standard. you can do the same for your parts and assemblies.
JuTu

Unread post by JuTu »

Oh so many replies! :)

Re-boot doesn't effect. I ask a colleague to open this particular drawing and delete that one particular view after which I haven't had these crashes.

If I recall correctly I did some tests couple of months ago with our old templates and new templates and even a new part in new template and every time I had checked the View palette option to auto-insert projected views Solidworks crashed. But then I just circumvented the problem altering my workflow.

And now that I am again doing some DRWs I had the issue with this one pre-existing view, I'm working on a revision for assembly and DRW, in a DRW that some other co-worker had done originally.

This drawing has only one page so far and file sizes do vary. This file is ~38 Mb.

And yes - we, unfortunately, do recycle more or less most of our parts, assemblies and drawing if the structure is close enough to something existing. I am an advocate for non-recycling workflows :D

So I can really put my finger on it what's the cause but it has something to do with those projected views. And so far I'm the only one to have this issue. My superior bugs me about wiping the whole machine because I am too eager at testing stuff... software, settings, methods... etc :D
Could the issue have something to do with how SW handles views and GPU driver(s). I have downgraded my other GPUs drivers some time last year and then upgraded to higher version as per SW support pages say. IDK - I'm just playing a guessing game here... ()

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. Cheers!
Sincerely,
JuTu

Unread post by mauriciolanes »

I am facing the same problem.
Do you know how to solve it?
JuTu

Unread post by JuTu »

Holy $#!+ I was confused! @mauriciolanes, you propably guess what I mean :D

The thing is that I made a support ticket to our VAR yesterday and when you reached to me via LinkedIn's mail I started to doubt my memory. Sorry, I havent been to forum for a while :lol: and had forgotten that I had made this post a year ago.

And the thing is that I managed to recreate the issue on another workstation last week AND even more confusing is that I also managed to revert it just before I made the support ticket, which means I couldnt screen cap the crash.

My current knowledge is that this Projected View crash has something to do with File Locations and without being able to pinpoint the source here are some alterations I had made just before the issue occured this time:
  • Referenced Documents
  • Default Save Folder
  • BOM Templates
  • Revision Table Templates
  • Dimension/Annotation Favorites
As I made the changes SolidWorks prompted asking to add some of the locations to Search Paths too and secondly prompted the Windows safety concern asking whether I allow elevated acces for some SolidWorks related application.

Our VAR asked in one of their replies if some of the locations I added in File Locations pointed to OneDrive/Google Drive/DropBox/similar cloud-type storage. And yes, some of them were pointing to my OneDrive folder.

I removed all the newly added file locations from the settings, accepted the search path removal too, and went to recreate the crash. Being frustrated about the issue on friday I didnt continue else but see that SW had remembered some of these setting changes despite the crash. And when I picked up on it again yesteday, all was fine... so eh... idk... hope this is at least of some help.
Sincerely,
JuTu

Unread post by GJM »

JuTu, You didnt do anything wrong, Solidworks crahes continue to disapoint, as a contractor that has used many 3D CAD packages and considering how much we pay for it, i find it very disapointing.