Going to Fusion 360 (possibly)

Discuss Fusion 360 with other users
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Going to Fusion 360 (possibly)

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Here since the buyout, (by www.wyrmwoodgaming.com), no one cares about engineering, basically doesn't understand or comprehend that it takes an Engineering dept to get this thing right, but no, their basic way is Neanderthal at best. SW is too expensive, Fusion 360 is their go to product - Is there a good way to go from SW to 360?
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Going to Fusion 360 (possibly)

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

No, its too much different.
Even from Inventor to Fusion.
No assembly. All files on cloud.
File management is, a dump on cloud.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

This is a question I've been wondering about as well. I'm not a big fan of cloud CAD, but there are some pieces of 360 that are fascinating. Like subd modeling and Tsplines, and other stuff. There is a lot to be curious about. Can you explain what you're talking about with wyrmwoodgaming?
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:48 pm Here since the buyout, (by www.wyrmwoodgaming.com), no one cares about engineering, basically doesn't understand or comprehend that it takes an Engineering dept to get this thing right, but no, their basic way is Neanderthal at best. SW is too expensive, Fusion 360 is their go to product - Is there a good way to go from SW to 360?
I'm with Fredrick. I don't see a reasonable way to port anything from SW to F360. Going from SW to Inventor or the other direction would be hard enough.

That being said is SW too expensive because of the maintenance? If so I doubt that anything near the level of SW is going to be significantly less expensive.

Are you using the lowest level package of SW? Can you "Share" licenses if you have more than one?

I can't imagine using F360 all day everyday for anything terribly productive. It's a great "Hobbiest" piece of software but no where near a professional level piece of software.
Roasted By John

Wyrmwood gaming does not understand the Engineering Process at all, that's problem number Uno. The owner can't grasp or understand a 2D drawing, hand sketch, unless he makes his own sketch, anything else doesn't come close to comprehension, also any 3D model might as well be written in the Old Egyptian calligraphy.

For some reason pricing for the subscription is one big chunk here, because they made a bonehead decision to purchase 2 more seats, which one will probably never get used, so the thought process is that they don't need a high end seat of software to do what they do. Here we could out design the production capacity in just 2 to 3 week, so they don't need speed.

Changes happen on the floor without any Engineering Change Notice, and then it comes back in hear with, the "Drawings are Wrong" mentality.

I had laid out a plan for the Engineering Dept Structure, semi comprehensive, but I should have written it in a lower grade grammar and used block & stick letters, gruntled employee, for sure........

They got no Clue
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law

Gather a group of investors.
Buy Wyrmwood when the time is right.
I believe you'll figure that out.

They need to focus on the product they want to make.
Stay away from managing production.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

First thing you will NEED is this:

https://3dconnexion.com/us/spacemouse/

otherwise you will start to throw chairs.
Roasted By John

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:53 am Gather a group of investors.
Buy Wyrmwood when the time is right.
I believe you'll figure that out.

They need to focus on the product they want to make.
Stay away from managing production.

Not by a long shot, it'll take mills mills and more mills to buy Wyrmwood
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law

Roasted By John wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:27 am Not by a long shot, it'll take mills mills and more mills to buy Wyrmwood
Kick them when they are down.
Roasted By John

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 pm
Roasted By John wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:27 am Not by a long shot, it'll take mills mills and more mills to buy Wyrmwood
Kick them when they are down.
They're not going down, they have a Kickstarter every month, guessing the smallest would probably be 1 or 2 mill, others will be huge.. These guys are not going down, they have an awesome approach when it comes to sales and how they release product, it will be an awesome company to work for, however from the Engineering side of things, they are still acting like cave men...

Go to Wyrmwood Youtube and sit back and relax.. They spend like a 100 times more on media then design/engineering, but that is what sells, design/engineering is a cost.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

As an RPG gamer, I'm familiar with their products. My guess is they were a small company that recently got big and don't have a good handle on engineering processes and standards. They are artisans and gamers which tend toward the right brain more so than the left so I could see them being resistant to it.

This sounds like a dream job, for me at least, but I would probably feel the same way you do. My left and right brains fight over this stuff all the time but the left usually wins.
Jason
Roasted By John

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:16 am As an RPG gamer, I'm familiar with their products. My guess is they were a small company that recently got big and don't have a good handle on engineering processes and standards. They are artisans and gamers which tend toward the right brain more so than the left so I could see them being resistant to it.

This sounds like a dream job, for me at least, but and I would probably feel the same way you do. My left and right brains fight over this stuff all the time but the left usually wins.
Dream Job... It really is, however with any buyout, it takes a while to settle in, there are a lot of changes that need to be made, major production, flushing the Keystone Legacy stuff, plant layout changes, personnel changes.. Just a lot of stuff going on, having said what I said, I don't feel any different with the Design/Engineering comments that I made. The difference is we all got a raise, the guys are absolutely fun to work with, being able to see Doug, Jason, Johnny, Bobby and JV, plus others at a regular basis, is pretty cool. These guys are fun..
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Roasted By John

Go to the Wyrmwood Youtube channel to get your latest Wyrmlife Fix, twice a week, Wednesday & Friday releases.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law

If they don't change, they will go down.
You can work with no standard, no planning on art and 1's 2's.
Once you need production of 10's with 100 different configs, you can't wink it.
Anyone can pitch a kickstart with great photos.
Only a few actually deliver their product.
Some struggled to deliver first batch of 100's then fold.
Some paid out of their pocket then fold.
Roasted By John

These guys are Kickstarter/Youtube Channel Experts, that combination makes them have more money then brains, but they'll get it together.. Do some research and you'll see they have been insanely successful on Kickstarter...
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law

They need to keep delivering products to stay successful.
That's why they got Keystone.
The more successful they're on YouTube and Kickstart, the more pressure on manufacturing.
Once supply cannot keep up with demand, it start to come apart.

People, consumer always looking for the "new" and "hot".
Once they turn away, they won't come back.

They'll need a big team in behind to support their dream and fantasy.
They don't know they need that yet.
Get ready for when they want that team.
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

Isn't SW a perpetual license? You can lapse your subs and be good for years
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

berg_lauritz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:52 pm First thing you will NEED is this:

https://3dconnexion.com/us/spacemouse/

otherwise you will start to throw chairs.
For F360? I used it for a while on some home project stuff and most certainly found it awkward, what does the mouse get you to make it better?
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

MJuric wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:52 am I used it for a while on some home project stuff and most certainly found it awkward, what does the mouse get you to make it better?
Less mouse hand cramps?
Jason
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Rob wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:13 am Isn't SW a perpetual license? You can lapse your subs and be good for years
That's actually a great idea. I did this with Adesk multiple times because I did not feel I got any support and rarely if ever used any of the "New features" they added. All I did was upgrade and spend a week trying to get all the settings back to where I had them before the upgrade :evil:

@Roasted By John You can let someone else work on F360 and you can work on an unsupported SW license and then keep track of who's more productive and why. Management likes numbers and if you show them that using F360 actually COSTS them money, then they'll pay for SW. You do that without costing them a dime.
Roasted By John

Heard that, but one thing I learned from a guy years ago, "money is like water", it flows to the lowest places, therefore you can tilt the table to your advantage. I can manipulate the numbers that would save them a lot of money... but you don't want to over do it..
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

John,

I'm guessing you most likely tried this already, but here is a way to get things across when the communication lines are blurry.

It's pretty much how I convinced management to switch to SolidWorks. Estimate what it would imply to switch from one to the other, and don't forget to bring in dollar figures, including time saved and what-not. It's quite an exercice to do, but it is something most people will understand. A lot of people have an easier time understanding dollar figures then understanding pro's and cons, especially when they have no idea what context it pertains to. Dollar figures are universal.

If you can, find things that aren't going great inside the company and show how you could address these issues with SolidWorks
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

The last time I gave F360 a try, which was about 6 months ago, they finally had assemblies.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

Does anyone have any insight into the possibility of Autodesk's intent of fazing out Inventor only to replace it with the cloud-based F360?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

SamSpade wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:02 am Does anyone have any insight into the possibility of Autodesk's intent of fazing out Inventor only to replace it with the cloud-based F360?
Given Autodesk's track record of planned obsolescence, "possibility" seems to be the wrong word. ()
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

My feeling is that they are creating a new market with Fusion 360. They are targeting all of those frustrated sketchup users who want to do more, but don't want to spend a lot of money. There's a bunch of people with 3d printers, laser cutters, cnc machines, etc. that aren't going to buy SW/SE/IV. That doesn't mean the time won't come where the eliminate IV. I really know nothing about the company, just how they were marketing F360 in the beginning.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Arthur NY
Answers: 0

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Just to clear up a few things.....F360 has pretty much always had Assemblies, they just approach it in a more Top Down methodology way than say Solidworks or Inventor which is a bit more Bottom Up approach. This isn't to say that you can't use the Top Down approach in Solidworks or Inventor it's just that in F360 that is really the only approach because everything is always there. F360 is still a local install and can be run offline say in comparison to OnShape which is 100% browser based and cannot run without internet access.

Inventor will never go away as the level of functionality and the direction of F360 are going in a different direction. There is a lot of overlap but they will always exist side by side.

Also I don't see what the company can't have both side by side....say 3 seats of F360 and 1 seat of Solidworks. It doesn't have to be all or nothing scenario.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Multibody parts are not the same as assemblies.
-
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

SPerman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:45 am Multibody parts are not the same as assemblies.
Clearly this is a given. What's this have to do with the fact that F360 has always had Assembly modeling?
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

Does F360 do configurations yet? How about reusable parts?

I dabbled with F360 several years go and there were no configurations and reusing parts was a MAJOR kluge.

That made the whole thing nothing more than a toy to me.
chris
shadwin1606

Unread post by shadwin1606 »

doobes wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:48 pm Does F360 do configurations yet? How about reusable parts?

I dabbled with F360 several years go and there were no configurations and reusing parts was a MAJOR kluge.

That made the whole thing nothing more than a toy to me.
You can use Excel to create design tables similar to SW. I am proficient in Solidworks (user since 1998) and have found that Fusion is more than capable. Someone proficient using solid modeling, detailed engineering drawings and CAD/CAM will find it can do most things and with some creativity do anything. It is easy to create configurations, templates, automation tools, etc. to speed up the design process.
Here is an example for the excel spreadsheet
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

Soooo, you need an add-in to do configurations?

Pass.....
chris
XHawkeye

Unread post by XHawkeye »

We are rebalancing the price of Autodesk Fusion to represent the value it delivers. Effective January 30, 2024, the annual subscription price will increase to $680," up 40% from the current $490/yr.

==================

Effective January 30, 2024, the new subscription prices will increase to the following:

$85 USD SRP / paid monthly
$680 USD SRP / paid annually
$2,040 USD SRP / paid every 3 years

All current annual subscribers will receive a renewal price lock at the current price of $490 USD SRP until 2027. The new subscription renewal price will be reflected on renewal terms starting after February 6, 2027.
SteveH

Unread post by SteveH »

We are rebalancing the price of Autodesk Fusion to represent the value it delivers. Effective January 30, 2024, the annual subscription price will increase to $680," up 40% from the current $490/yr.
One of the dangers of subscription services. Want continued access to your data? Pay us more.
doobes

Unread post by doobes »

Welcome to the club.

The cost of SolidWorks subscription went up 25% this year..... :(
chris
rothers

Unread post by rothers »

But you have the choice of not renewing but retain the use of the software and all your data, no so with Fusion 360.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

rothers wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:19 am But you have the choice of not renewing but retain the use of the software and all your data, no so with Fusion 360.
Not with some of the subscriptions.