Circled Letter and number block libaries

Alibre, FreeCAD, Sketchup, ZX, AutoCAD, Microstation,
ctsturdiv
Answers: 0

Circled Letter and number block libaries

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

Anyone have a link somewhere for circled letter and number libraries?

I feel people on being hardcore, not lazy, and making your own blocks, but why reinvent the wheel when someone, somewhere probably has this?

I am familiar with Tcircle command, but I would like quicker way to put this into paper space. Like just going to a block library and inserting without having to screw around with text commands and such.

That way I can drag, drop, and go.

Also, weld symbols and such would awesome.

That way I can spend more time on these obtuse drawings and fighting with ACAD on paperspace dimensions vs modelspace dimensions and less time in formatting hell.

Thanks!
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Re: Circled Letter and number block libaries

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

My guess is that you are talking about a specific CAD program (Autocad maybe?). Nevermind. I finally read the last sentence. LOL. SO, autocad it is. Because Solidworks has a lot of these built in.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

ctsturdiv wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:01 pm fighting with ACAD on paperspace dimensions vs modelspace dimensions
Modelspace is always 1:1. If it's done any other way, fire that AutoCAD user.

Paperspace is a "View", same as Solidworks and Inventor drawing.
Just in the same file.
Frederick_Law

ctsturdiv wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:01 pm Anyone have a link somewhere for circled letter and number libraries?
Probably on 3.5 floppy. If not 5.25.
Might have some on backup tapes.
ctsturdiv

DanPihlaja wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:42 am My guess is that you are talking about a specific CAD program (Autocad maybe?). Nevermind. I finally read the last sentence. LOL. SO, autocad it is. Because Solidworks has a lot of these built in.
It is AutoCAD.

I also checked on r/cad and was admonished for "trying to get out of the basics of drawing control and cheapening my education"! No ansewr.

Google search, you get a ton of architectural fluff like couches, chairs, and show off blocks, but I need piping and mechanical stuff.

I think I am going to cope. Final project is this vessel with tons of nozzles. Drawing has some nasty bits to it, but the big thing is the materials list down to every flange, bolt, and square area of sheet metal we have to have down to decimal point accuracy. I can be over, and fortunately take entire stuff like chamfered brackets, square them off, and not have to do advanced algebra to figure scrapped area after you cut the bracket from sheet metal. But still a challenging undertaking at my skill level.

I CANNOT wait to get my hands on Solid Works. That will be gone over next semester in Intro to Drafting Disciplines I, and Principles of 3D Drafting.

But I feel you.

Before I took drafting, I used a lot of cartography software. If I needed a symbol, I just dragged from a library. Or if I did not have a symbol, I could find one.

AutoCAD, I have to do it all myself. What's really obtuse is if I want something like, say, a counterbore or countersink symbol, I have to go into some deep hidden menu and scroll past hundreds of fonts and have to copy/insert this.

Other symbols which WOULD SEEM TO BE WHAT AUTOCAD IS FRIGGEN FOR, I have to draw by hand like weld symbols and the whole deal.

I LOVE how accurate AutoCAD is. I like the way it handles tangencies and circles. But making tables and symbols and formatting is making me lose what little religion I have!

I also find the whole annotation very, very ticky. Like it will try to measure in the distance on paper if I click slightly wrong, when who the hell would want to annotate the distance on a piece of paper! I want to measure the distance I drew in the units on model space! Especially if it's an odd angle or isometric.
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:03 pm Modelspace is always 1:1. If it's done any other way, fire that AutoCAD user.

Paperspace is a "View", same as Solidworks and Inventor drawing.
Just in the same file.
Understood.

I think I conveyed the wrong terminology.

One of my biggest headaches that get me irritated is this:

Sometimes when I annotate, Autocad thinks I am measuring on paperspace. Like if the paper was printed out and I was measuring exactly the distance if it was printed. Especially on iso drawings or any odd lines. (Which really, outside of graphic design, WHO would want measurement on paper? You want measurement of the object!)

But that's NOT what I want. I want the annotation to be the distance in modelspace. I am on correct layer, and I am in viewport.

Now, for dimensions that go off paper (ie: details), you are allowed to input values. You go in and EXPLODE the annotation, take off the arrow, and change the value to what you are trying to convey. BUT - you get points off if you don't use AutoCAD's auto measuring feature in many cases.

Not enough to fail me, but annoying when I know I can do A work.
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:14 pm Probably on 3.5 floppy. If not 5.25.
Might have some on backup tapes.
have not seen a 5.25 since the Commodore 64.

Still mad because an ancient ex-girlfriend's pet cat (that I ended up with when she left) clawed disk 6 or 7 of Pool of Radiance. That disk had the eastern side of the overworld around New Phlan.
Frederick_Law

ctsturdiv wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:01 am
Sometimes when I annotate, Autocad thinks I am measuring on paperspace.
Are you working in Modelsapce or Paperspace?

You have to be in paperspace to measure differently.

If the file is export from SW or other CAD, it depends on export setting.
All exports to modelspace. So if there are views with different scale, they will not be 1:1.
ctsturdiv

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:41 am Are you working in Modelsapce or Paperspace?

You have to be in paperspace to measure differently.

If the file is export from SW or other CAD, it depends on export setting.
All exports to modelspace. So if there are views with different scale, they will not be 1:1.
This is in paper space. We export to pdf. You turn in the .dwg and the .pdf. If the annotations show up in modelspace, that is major marks off. Fortunately, if I accidentally do that, I catch it before it goes too far.

I make sure the view ports are locked and if details are a different scale, I put text to indicate that scale under that window.

I always make sure the viewport is highlighted and I am on annotation layer (the college has basic standards already set up).

However, I did input values last assignment, and was not marked off for that since nothing was annotating correct values right including the distance of an internal downpipe to a reducer, so I don't know.

I am just going to be happy with a B and go on into SolidWorks/Revit next semester and have less headaches. LOL.
ctsturdiv

Wanted to say, I figured out my solution.

It was a font size issue then Tcircle.

I feel like an idiot.

What I did for my final drawings is make all the symbols before annotating and just copy/move as needed to show nozzels.

Also solved an unrelated problem with text not lining up in blocks for things like nozzle schedules and bill of materials.

Last two drawings looked A LOT better and more professional.