Parent is checked out and cannot rollback

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
mp3-250
Answers: 18

Parent is checked out and cannot rollback

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I have two files to roll back and according to the warning in the rollback dialog one of their parent is checked out.

according to kb the where used could omit some indirect parents so I asked the dept. affected to check in all their files: it did not worked.

I run the query SPR077839_ListCheckedOutParentsBlockingMoveRename_v2 on the SQL server and it does not find a parent. I know it works because during the day I tested it and it gave one result that disappered once the file was actually checked in.
But that query was made for files unable to be moved or renamed due to parents checkout, so my case could be fIltered out... I do not know as my query language knowledge is quite limited.

I tried move tree and the dialog is useless as no filename is given instead a general warning only: and this issue should fixed since 2019 according to the KB....

https://kb.dsxclient.3ds.com/mashup-ui/ ... 000123878e
AlexB
Answers: 24

Re: Parent is checked out and cannot rollback

Unread post by AlexB »

I hadn't realized that the parent being checked out prevented rollback so I learned something today.

The best way I've seen to check the parent files is to use the Where Used tab and make sure the "Version" is set to "<<All Versions>>" and on the right-hand side make sure the select "Show All" and not "Show Latest Attached" just to be sure.

If that still doesn't show anything, manually try to move the file to another folder by dragging the icon between windows. This will pop up a dialog and tell you the problem file name if the move operation fails, unlike the Move Tree dialog which unhelpfully shows "%s".
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

AlexB wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:35 am I
The best way I've seen to check the parent files is to use the Where Used tab and make sure the "Version" is set to "<<All Versions>>" and on the right-hand side make sure the select "Show All" and not "Show Latest Attached" just to be sure.
Is it possible to make that setting the default?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexB
Answers: 24

Unread post by AlexB »

SPerman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:05 am Is it possible to make that setting the default?
I believe that once you change it for you then it remembers those choices on your vault view. If you want to share the setting with others then I think the only way is to compile a registry update file to modify the necessary keys. However, I have no idea what they are without a fair amount of testing.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I have to change it to All Versions every time I use the tool. Is there a place to save that as the default setting?
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

AlexB wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:35 am I hadn't realized that the parent being checked out prevented rollback so I learned something today.

If that still doesn't show anything, manually try to move the file to another folder by dragging the icon between windows. This will pop up a dialog and tell you the problem file name if the move operation fails, unlike the Move Tree dialog which unhelpfully shows "%s".
I hve already tried the "all versions" tab and sorted the column "checked out by" (or its english version equivalent) : there is no parent checked out.

I tried the rename instead of the move trick: I WAS ALLOWED TO RENAME the file with a supposed parent checked out...(it was a supposed critical bug in 2019 iirc)

my last hope is trying to move with drag and drop...
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

PDM ALLOWED ME to move these files with drag and drop in a folder, but block me if I try to use move tree saying that a parent is checked out.

THE SAME HAPPENED WITH RENAME. NICE

If I checkout a REAL parent and try to drag and drop a warning pop tells me a parent is checkout. NICE
JSculley
Answers: 54

Unread post by JSculley »

mp3-250 wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:43 am PDM ALLOWED ME to move these files with drag and drop in a folder, but block me if I try to use move tree saying that a parent is checked out.
That exact scenario is described in this open SPR, including the bit about the SQL query from S-077839 returning no results.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

JSculley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:21 am That exact scenario is described in this open SPR, including the bit about the SQL query from S-077839 returning no results.
♡vault specific♡

aka half broken DB...
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

SOLIDWORKS told our VAR that there is no other method to extract the supposed parents other than QA00000123878(S-077839) query. If that query, like in our case, fails and returns no result we are left with deleting and re add those files to the vault.

In alternative SW devs asked if we would like to submit our complete vault DB to take a look and see what is broken inside.