Drawing slow, lot faster with parasolid imported data

mp3-250
Answers: 18

Drawing slow, lot faster with parasolid imported data

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I understand that there are a lot of parameters and metadata inside the native files, but view generation alone is taking too much time.

I am working on performance, to improve our workflows and to fix problematic data. Here is what I found. I made some tools with API to analyze drawings and apply settings in batches to all views, but there is something I do not understand yet.

An enclosure made with sheetmetals panels (not sheet metal features, only extrusions, cuts, holes, patterns, splits)

the first time I opened the mutibody model it rebuilt in 9 seconds. Now I make it rebuild in 3.5 seconds with the same amount of geometry and the same amount of features tweaking the way it was modeled.
(I am writing a separate post on the matter)

Nevertheless its 2d drawing is slow and SW hangs a lot.
E.g. If I try to hide some body (to clean up a view background) in the view property and I press apply it takes MINUTES to update with SW not responding.

There are a lot of holes, i tried to disable the annotation visuals and put the threads in draft quality.
no luck

I disabled di overlappIng edges high quality setting in the drawing document properties.
no luck

I exported the 3D data as parasolid, reimported in SW and I used the same 2D drawing relinked to the new 3D.
result: as expected the dimensions blown up, but the view generation and body hiding is an order of magnitude FASTER.

I suspected hole wizard as a culprit, and I am replacing the holes with cuts, but it does not seem to be the only cause.
my intuition is that SW is bringing a lot of overhead inside the drawing views, overhead not present with a dummy solid exported from the very same geometry that caused a slow drawing.

This overhead is apparently affecting view generation for whatever reason.
I want to understand that reason.
The amount of edges, view styles etc for native SW data based drawing and imported parasolid model are exactly the same.

@Alin any idea you could share?

I cannot share data without an NDA.
by mp3-250 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:07 pm
We received SW DEV's reply to our inquiry from our VAR and according to them our 3D data behaviour is due to SW2022 being broken somewhere with multibody parts in drawings.

According to SOLIDWORKS the slowness I described above is somehow related to:
SPR#1244123 SOLIDWORKS is not responded after placing a drawing view using this part document.
Go to full post
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Re: Drawing slow, lot faster with parasolid imported data

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Check the performance evaluation of the model and see which features are taking more time.

When you use imported body, all the history is gone and there are no features to rebuild. This makes the model/drawing faster.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I already did that and the slowest features take 0.15 seconds.
When I first opened it there where features in the order of 0.6 or even 2 seconds: i fixed them and the whole model rebuilds in 3.5 seconds down from 9seconds it was at the beginning
On average it is less than 0.015seconds per feature.
The rebuild is smooth and without aparent freezing.
I can try to improve further, but I need to remodel it with a different approach.
However I think it is impossible to get closer to the parasolid data as it rebuild in 0.03s

I have fixed a grill with hundreds of cuts in the same way and the drawing was noticeable faster, and the grill went from 13 to 2 seconds rebuild time. This model's drawing slowness is not getting any better...

What is bugging me is what makes our drawings so heavy.
is it the feature reference database inside the model?
and if so why it is needed to generate a 2d drawing view?
gupta9665

Try freezing the features if that helps.
Deepak Gupta
Frank_Oostendorp
Answers: 2

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

Did you un-select Detailing mode?
image.png
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

yes detailing mode is disabled.
it brought us more assle than good.
for 2022 is now in the templates as they moved it in document properties.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

gupta9665 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:54 am Try freezing the features if that helps.
I could try, but we disabled the freeze bar years ago as I have been said it caused a lot of troubles in PDM. For my personal experience I had part corruption and instability with that bar enabled so I avoided it. but it was yars ago.
gupta9665

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:03 am I could try, but we disabled the freeze bar years ago as I have been said it caused a lot of troubles in PDM. For my personal experience I had part corruption and instability with that bar enabled so I avoided it. but it was yars ago.
You can make a copy of the part and try with that.

Other thing to try is do a save as with a different name and then save as again with the original name. This might help. But make sure to keep a backup.
Deepak Gupta
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

No luck with the freeze bar as well.
Alin
Answers: 3

Unread post by Alin »

Do you have high quality or draft quality views in the original drawing?
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Adding to what Alin said, do you have sections in your drawing? If so, do those section show surfacic bodies? Because for some reason, the setting in sections to show surfacic bodies slows everything down, even if you don't have surfacic bodies.

Also, check to see if you have empty view shells laying around in your drawing
image.png
To view them, go to view>Hide/Show>Hidden views
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@Alin @AlexLachance

I have written a macro to analyse all drawings view and output their properties in text format to check mainly:
・ the view quality (draft high quality)
・threads quality in the view (draft or high quality)
・surface show/hide status (for sections and detail views iirc)
・hatching status for faces in the view

with the same macro I can turn off or on them in batches. This drawing has all the views forced to High quality, the threads to draft (I even disable them from annotation view settings), and surface are hidden.

I re-installed a minimum SW from tje original files, instead of our admin image, left the settings to default and used the default templates and sheet format SW generates, and draw the same views: when I change the property of the front view to hide the background bodies 1 core of the cpu is maxed for 1-2 minutes, if view automati update this continue for 4-5 minutes.

4.5+ GHz xeon quad core, 32GB RAM, SSD, Quadro RTX A2000 12GB.
20 yrs ago I used to model die casted parts with unigraphics and a 32bit workstation with 2GB RAM. their drawings compared to this one were absolutely nuts. free form surfacing vs flat panels!
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

btw my VAR has still to come back to me after 3 days since I show them the comparative video of native vs parasolid, only to upload our files...
I made some complaint on the pLafOrM and it seems a dev from the drafting definition team could pick up the issue, but I need a SR number from my VAR...

My main question: why parasolid data is so light? same views same lines same section, the very same slddrw with swapped 3d data...
AlexLachance

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:51 pm btw my VAR has still to come back to me after 3 days since I show them the comparative video of native vs parasolid, only to upload our files...
I made some complaint on the pLafOrM and it seems a dev from the drafting definition team could pick up the issue, but I need a SR number from my VAR...

My main question: why parasolid data is so light? same views same lines same section, the very same slddrw with swapped 3d data...
lol welcome to the circular reference world of troubleshooting with VAR's and Dassault. Nobody seems to know their role.

parasolid data is featureless. It is information stocked within a feature from my understanding. In the case of parts or assemblies, we have multiple features and display states and sublevel of assemblies and whatnot so SolidWorks tends to get confused with everything after a while. I think the most noticeable example is display states, it's not hard to get SolidWorks confused.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

mp3-250 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:25 am What is bugging me is what makes our drawings so heavy.
is it the feature reference database inside the model?
and if so why it is needed to generate a 2d drawing view?
Everything.
Whatever you can't see in the view is still there. Every update require recalculate what's is visible and what's not.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@Frederick_Law the same 3D data exported in parasolid and relinked to the SAME drawing file is a order of magnitude faster and the same operation on the SAME VIEW with the SAME geometry takes seconds instead of minutes.
same edges same settings
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I get that parasolid data is featureless, but the point of drawings is display edges and dimensions.
I can understand that calculatea section that does not exist in 3d needs to create a ad hoc configuration and the calculation takes time. what I struggle to understand is why a projection of edges and hiding edges that are already there is taking a whole cpu core for minutes. like SW is querying a huge database of features id, edges id or whatever else to do a useless job nobody asked for.

it would be nice to know from the technical point of view what is takIng so long to calculate. Reading the KB I understand that SW devs have a tool to open the drawings and see all the elements stored inside the files including garbage and other funny thIngs. it is a sort of viewer, I do not remember its name atm.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Btw I found the reference to the tool the technical support is supposed to use to open drawings..
Corrupted Drawing makes SOLIWORKS to crash
Portfolio / Domain: SOLIDWORKS Desktop / E-Apps
Product: Drawings
Detected level(s): SOLIDWORKS 2023 SP4
DESCRIPTION
Corrupted Drawing makes SOLIWORKS to crash I tried to repair with
SldFileViewer but no luck
CLOSURE INFORMATION
File is already repaired by R&D
Does someone know what SldFileViewer is?
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I got back from my VAR.
They tested our file with SW2022 and it took them almost 5 minutes to generate a view and hide a body inside that.
They opened the same file with SW2023 and it took 1 minute including file opening and drawing editing. A few seconds to hide the bodies as expected.

So for this file problem was just solidworks 2022 SP5 to be BROKEN?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

mp3-250 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:57 pm I got back from my VAR.
They tested our file with SW2022 and it took them almost 5 minutes to generate a view and hide a body inside that.
They opened the same file with SW2023 and it took 1 minute including file opening and drawing editing. A few seconds to hide the bodies as expected.

So for this file it was solidworks 2022 SP5 to be just BROKEN?
Impossible. SP5 is supposed to be the most stable.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

SPerman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:07 pm Impossible. SP5 is supposed to be the most stable.
Probably if compared to SP4 of the same release... now I wonder what is going to break our drawings randomly in 2023
AlexLachance

mp3-250 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:57 pm I got back from my VAR.

So for this file problem was just solidworks 2022 SP5 to be BROKEN?
No, they're just trying to get you on 2023 and then when you'll have a very similar issue to what you are encountering then they'll blame it on something like "Well, template's corrupted".

They've certainly made drawings faster in 2023 but there are so many little issues inside drawings compared to 2019 that sometimes I'm left wondering if I'd rather have a less performant and less buggy program or a more performant but more buggy program.

On my end, the former is certainly the prefered choice.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:17 am No, they're just trying to get you on 2023 and then when you'll have a very similar issue to what you are encountering then they'll blame it on something like "Well, template's corrupted".

They've certainly made drawings faster in 2023 but there are so many little issues inside drawings compared to 2019 that sometimes I'm left wondering if I'd rather have a less performant and less buggy program or a more performant but more buggy program.

On my end, the former is certainly the prefered choice.
@AlexLachance do you have a list of the main issues you had with 2023 and drawings? It could help me in my next test session towards version up
AlexLachance

mp3-250 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:38 am @AlexLachance do you have a list of the main issues you had with 2023 and drawings? It could help me in my next test session towards version up
A lot of display issues such as changing view quality, having to change display style to have a view show back up, not being able to select a component added in the current session to a lower level assembly, there's a bunch of ones but most of them can be worked with. I didn't really make a list of these but I'll try to add more here as I stumble upon them
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

SPerman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:07 pm Impossible. SP5 is supposed to be the most stable.
Stably slow.
Jason
AlexLachance

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:57 amStably slow.
That goes with the consistantly inconsistent slogan :lol:
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

This probably isn't your problem, but I saw this from Alin about "Make "Automatically populate View Palette with views" a Document Property"

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... Ceeri93_Sw

Are there more views in your SolidWorks part than the Parasolid version? Do you have the option on to automatically populate your view palette?

In the past, we have had trouble figuring out why a drawing thought it needed a file that wasn't related because at one time that model was in the view palette and the drawing didn't want to let it go.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I have disabled view palette In our settIngs where possible. it should affect file opening and view recalculation (which I also try to disable in my trials), but 2023 seems to be fine with vanilla settIngs, while 2022 just collapse on body hide.

I have another part with 200 bodies, 100 views and dozen of sections and the hide body on a random view takes 1 second, not 3 minutes...same settings. and it is a more irregular and complex weldment.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

We received SW DEV's reply to our inquiry from our VAR and according to them our 3D data behaviour is due to SW2022 being broken somewhere with multibody parts in drawings.

According to SOLIDWORKS the slowness I described above is somehow related to:
SPR#1244123 SOLIDWORKS is not responded after placing a drawing view using this part document.