Generic Pet Peeves

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Generic Pet Peeves

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:19 am Back to the ipad, it's 10 years old. I just want to run the old software that was available for the device at the time it was current. Nothing fancy and its still a good and fast device with the few apps on it. I shouldn't have to "jailbreak" it. I just wan to install old apps on it like an mp3 player or book reader, pdf reader, etc.
Apple and Google only keep updated apps on App Store.
And they all built to specific OS versions. Old app won't work on new OS. New app won't work on old.

I can get Android App install package and run it to install.
Don't know if it could work on Apple. They might have blocked app install out of AppStore. Hence jailbreak required.
Apple don't want Grandpa installing bank draining App from email and sue Apple.
Jailbreak it and it's your problem.

Jailbreak, root is to unlock all protection so you can do anything you want. Legal and illegal.
Old Windows came with no such protections.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I hate hackers and evil people in the world. Ever since our company decided to open our networks to global teams and vendors.... I have to "authenticate" multiple times a day on my phone. I feel like I'm wasting 5% of my day playing authentication roulette every single day of my working life.
grumph
image.png
Jason
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:18 am I hate hackers and evil people in the world. Ever since our company decided to open our networks to global teams and vendors.... I have to "authenticate" multiple times a day on my phone. I feel like I'm wasting 5% of my day playing authentication roulette every single day of my working life.
grumph

image.png
What if the companies selling the security services and products are hiring the hackers?
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:18 am I hate hackers and evil people in the world. Ever since our company decided to open our networks to global teams and vendors.... I have to "authenticate" multiple times a day on my phone. I feel like I'm wasting 5% of my day playing authentication roulette every single day of my working life.
grumph

image.png
About once a month I have to help one of our employees delete and create a new authenticator account. Because Microsoft.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law

bnemec wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:53 am What if the companies selling the security services and products are hiring the hackers?
They just have 2 jobs.
Security in the day.
Hacker at night.
Frederick_Law

SPerman wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:01 am About once a month I have to help one of our employees delete and create a new authenticator account. Because Microsoft.
All the security are good at locking accounts .....

from the user.
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

grumph

image.png
It would be nice if everyone could centralize on one authentication app too. I currently have 3 I have to utilize.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

The hackers keep finding ways to get around it. First my password had to be 8 characters, then 8 characters with upper and lower case. then 10 characters, then 16 characters with at least 2 uppercase, 3 lowercase, 2 numbers, 6 symbols, 2 dwarven runes, blood type, with no English words or l33tsp34k.
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Just wait until the bad guys get access to quantum computers.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Frederick_Law

KennyG wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:35 pm It would be nice if everyone could centralize on one authentication app too. I currently have 3 I have to utilize.
You need authenticate app to authenticate another authenticate app.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

The 2023-2024 Solid Edge interface. Just started using it and it's >>>
Everything is so close to the same color
image.png
If only the marketing team wouldn't have gotten ahold of the interface...
I'm getting used to it though...
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:31 pm The 2023-2024 Solid Edge interface. Just started using it and it's >>>
Everything is so close to the same color
image.png
If only the marketing team wouldn't have gotten ahold of the interface...
I'm getting used to it though...
I read a while back they were aligning icons with NX. I wonder how many users that actually helps; how many use both systems and need the icons to look similar? I mean, they're vastly different systems, why need same icons?
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

bnemec wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:31 am I read a while back they were aligning icons with NX. I wonder how many users that actually helps; how many use both systems and need the icons to look similar? I mean, they're vastly different systems, why need same icons?
It's bigger than just SE aligning to NX or vice versa... All Siemens PLM products are aligning to a consistent UI Standard which includes SE, NX, Technomatix apps, Simcenter apps, Teamcenter, Electrical products and the cloud apps (Share, Zel X). The idea is that if you want to use the "Window Area" command for example, it is a consistent icon across all products and the products all have a consistent look and feel. Some companies use multiple Siemens products, and a single user will have to do similar functions in all of them. You will see a mix of icon graphics coming from a variety of the apps as they are standardized.

In regard to Solid Edge AND NX, they are not "vastly" different. Both have the same fundamental MCAD commands and thus have a large command overlap. Apparently, there is a large subset of customers who use both interchangeably as Siemens sells a Mechanical Design Bundle that includes both licenses. Also, if you use SE with SE CAM Pro, SE CAM Pro is actually NX.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Joints in Fusion 360 make no sense. How can you take something as simple as mating two components and make it so convoluted a person can't figure it out?

They've adopted a DSS type attitude of solving a problem that didn't exist, and then digging their heels in saying, "but its better, you just don't get it."

8 years later, and I still can't figure out how to mate 2 components together.

When we started Fusion, one of the areas that we decided to try to improve over more traditional CAD software was the area of assembly modeling. Customers new to CAD often struggle with such abstract and mathematical concepts as "flush" and "mate" for describing relationships (especially kinematic relationships) between components. So, we decided to try to elevate the concept a bit to terms that are more familiar to mechanical designers: Joints. In our thinking, a "revolute joint" was more obvious than "Mate" between two linear entities that just happened to result in a circular degree of freedom. So, we decided to go "all in" on the joints approach, and not offer traditional assembly constraints at all. It was a bit of a risk. To our knowledge, no CAD software had tried this joints-only approach to assembly modeling.

In our (admittedly biased) opinion, this works very well for describing kinematic relationships. It seems pretty easy to created jointed component relationships. Especially in a top/down workflow, with "As Built Joint", I find it really easy to create most common mechanisms.

In the interest of honesty, where this approach still requires some tuning is in trying to position components rigidly with respect to each other. Fusion has always had Rigid joints, which definitely solves part of this workflow. But the joint positioning choices didn't always result in exactly the correct relative positioning of components relative to each other. So, over time we have added a few commands that help. One is Rigid Group. This command allows you to select a set of components and make them rigid with respect to each other in ther current positions. The Align command allows you to position components with respect to each other, by aligning geometry, and Move allows you to do more freeform moving of components. So, a very useful workflow is to use Align or Move to position components, then put them into a Rigid Group.

The other workflow is one that works well with top/down design. If you create components in a top/down design manner (for example, one sketch that is used to create 3 components), and you build these components in the orientation with each other that you want, then a simple As Built Joint with a type of Rigid works very well.

We are always looking for ways to improve workflows in Fusion. If you have ideas in this area, please let us know.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Software Architect - Fusion 360
-
KennyG

Unread post by KennyG »

SPerman wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 8:09 am Joints in Fusion 360 make no sense. How can you take something as simple as mating two components and make it so convoluted a person can't figure it out?

They've adopted a DSS type attitude of solving a problem that didn't exist, and then digging their heels in saying, "but its better, you just don't get it."

8 years later, and I still can't figure out how to mate 2 components together.
It's the other way to "innovate". Take something that already exists (spatial relationships) and couple it with an idea that few use (kinematics) and BOOM... a new innovation was born! Then defend it because otherwise there is nothing new.

Example: It's no longer a turning indicator, to simply indicate if you intend to turn left or right on your car. We have combined it with the compass and it's now a directional indicator that will indicate whether you are turning North, South, East or West in relation to your current direction of travel :lol:
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

KennyG wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:59 am It's the other way to "innovate". Take something that already exists (spatial relationships) and couple it with an idea that few use (kinematics) and BOOM... a new innovation was born! Then defend it because otherwise there is nothing new.

Example: It's no longer a turning indicator, to simply indicate if you intend to turn left or right on your car. We have combined it with the compass and it's now a directional indicator that will indicate whether you are turning North, South, East or West in relation to your current direction of travel :lol:
Since it already existed and was working, this is a special kind of innovation, the disruptive kind.