Dismissing the add in performance popup

mp3-250
Answers: 18

Dismissing the add in performance popup

Unread post by mp3-250 »

Since 2022 when opening SW a pop up warning shows telling us an add-in is taking time to load and that dialog could not be dismissed. I am testing SW2023 sp5 and I see the same problem.

We re using only two add-ins at startup and we need them, but they are not really taking that much time to load, so that warning dialog is only annoying us and it should be dismissed. We were careful to use the eye icon and wait for the dialog to fade out as it is supposed to work, but it was futile.

there were a bunch of SPR and we got even our BR as this issue was already closed, solved and archived according to Sw devs. (and as usual it came back to bite us at sp5 level on both 2022 and 2023)

I took half a day to dig this issue to the root and I found what caused the dialog to defy the dismission setting: it was another unrelated UI setting that trigged that dialog to show up again again and again.
more precisely the moment I disabled the "save remainder" and its timeout.
If you keep the save remainder on with whatever timeout you want the addin performance dialog is actually dismissed.

RANT ahead

I avoid to go into this bug details, but it is not good that after 10yrs (at least form me) SW UI is still a mess apparently programmed by professional IT engineers probably paid double my salary, and while I (mech. engineer) have to run a PDM system and flawlessly deploy their cr@ppy software in at least 100 machines fixing their bugs in the process, they are still unable to clean up all the garbage in their UI.
As a side note I noticed that under drawing the setting that forced detail view border to be a circle disappeared in 2023: according to the online help file should still there and the change is not documented in what's new as well.

Also this is not the first time a UI bug prevent a setting to work. I wrote about PDM making me broke our company vault, because the UI was showing a wrong path in one administration dialog (SPR issued still open), or that the roll back with reference actually silently rolled back files outside the selection scope without a single warning causing half a day of rework and god only knows how many other files broke unnoticed. (SPR still open)