SOLIDWORKS pet peeves

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: SOLIDWORKS pet peeves

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:49 pm Attached below.

Sorry not really
I am aware of the hierarchy (in fact it is showing the appearance at hierarchy level). It is a part file and only has one part appearance without any other appearance
I played with it a little bit. The only way I've been able to change the color for the whole Part was to apply an appearance to a single face, copy it, select another face and Ctrl+A to select all, right-click, and paste the appearance.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:42 pm sometimes the solidworks appearance is just driving me nuts

only one appearance apply at part level, but it is not showing in graphic o[

(seem to happen most frequently on part save from assembly, aka Save as Part from assembly)
image.png
This is because the imported body features have appearances, but they aren't listed in the Property Manager Pane. However, they are listed in the popout appearances panel:
image.png
You can remove them in one shot via the feature tree:
image.png
image.png
SPR 1217395 -- Appearance applied on a imported body 'Feature' cannot be removed

Not technically accurate since they can be removed.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

JSculley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:38 am This is because the imported bodies have appearances, but they aren't listed in the Property Manager Pane. However, they are listed in the popout appearances panel:

image.png

You can remove them in one shot via the feature tree:
image.png
image.png

SPR 1217395 -- Appearance applied on a imported body 'Feature' cannot be removed

Not technically accurate since they can be removed.

A technical correction:

That appearance in your picture is applied to the "features" that create the bodies. Not the bodies themselves. If the appearance had been added to the bodies, then the appearance would show up under the bodies folder.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

https://help.solidworks.com/2023/englis ... rarchy.htm

Each level overrides the one to the right.

Assembly Component > Face > Feature > Body > Part
image.png
image.png (16.64 KiB) Viewed 19114 times
Looks the import model code has a bug that doesn't update the internal table that holds the appearances values in that tab.
Jason
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

DanPihlaja wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:42 am A technical correction:

That appearance in your picture is applied to the "features" that create the bodies. Not the bodies themselves. If the appearance had been added to the bodies, then the appearance would show up under the bodies folder.
Correct. I've edited my post to clarify.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I just opened a part from a vendor that I need to make some modifications to. I'm going through the long history tree, figuring out what I can suppress and what needs to stay. There are 2 fans on the end of the unit, with protective grills.

The step cut into the end of the part was duplicated with a linear pattern.
image.png
However, the 25 features that create the grill was duplicated for the 2nd grill.
image.png
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 11:48 am I just opened a part from a vendor that I need to make some modifications to. I'm going through the long history tree, figuring out what I can suppress and what needs to stay. There are 2 fans on the end of the unit, with protective grills.

The step cut into the end of the part was duplicated with a linear pattern.

image.png

However, the 25 features that create the grill was duplicated for the 2nd grill.

image.png

image.png
Maybe someone tried to pattern the grills also, but it didn't work because he or she didn't know to de-select "Features to Pattern" and select "Bodies to Pattern" instead?
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Based on what I am finding in the tree, whoever did the work wasn't very proficient in SW.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

On every single feature, I'm having to change this to "all bodies."
image.png
image.png (6.78 KiB) Viewed 18996 times
-
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:58 pm On every single feature, I'm having to change this to "all bodies."

image.png
It sounds like a fun time. I'm so glad I almost never have to deal with anyone's models other than mine.

bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 4:23 pm It sounds like a fun time. I'm so glad I almost never have to deal with anyone's models other than mine.
Some of you never have to work with other people's models and it really shows.

;)
Glenn Schroeder

Solidworks crashed on me in the middle of working on a drawing a little while ago. I had saved often while working on it, including not long before the crash, but it somehow wiped out everything I had done in the last 3 hours (it crashed around 2:00 pm, but the drawing shows it was last saved at 10:51 am). How's everyone else's Friday going?

I've had very few crashes with SW2023, but this was a bad one.

AlexB

Unread post by AlexB »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:11 pm Solidworks crashed on me in the middle of working on a drawing a little while ago. I had saved often while working on it, including not long before the crash, but it somehow wiped out everything I had done in the last 3 hours (it crashed around 2:00 pm, but the drawing shows it was last saved at 10:51 am). How's everyone else's Friday going?

Are you me? I literally just lost everything I worked on with an assembly from this morning. I clicked save probably 100 times while working for several hours but apparently it wasn't behaving... Not a single thing I did was saved. (2021 here) o[
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:11 pm Solidworks crashed on me in the middle of working on a drawing a little while ago. I had saved often while working on it, including not long before the crash, but it somehow wiped out everything I had done in the last 3 hours (it crashed around 2:00 pm, but the drawing shows it was last saved at 10:51 am). How's everyone else's Friday going?

39 minutes till it's a great Friday!
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Would be going a lot better if I didn't care. Trying to focus on the positives.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

With the Save File dialog open...
image.png
image.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 18793 times
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

oh man, crashing while saving, that is the worst!
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

TTevolve wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:49 am oh man, crashing while saving, that is the worst!
After 1600 it's a toss, I just leave.
Damo
Answers: 0

Unread post by Damo »

SPerman wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 3:58 pm On every single feature, I'm having to change this to "all bodies."

image.png
Interestingly, I am often frustrated that by default this is usually set to "Auto-select." Which generally means All Bodies anyway.
I work with multi-body parts, a lot, and I almost always set a cut extrude to go "Through all." and only select the bodies I wish to apply.
This way, if bodies move because of changes I make, the cut continues through.

Another frustration I find is that when I pattern a cut extrude feature, it is again, by default set to "Auto-select" (Tacitly, All) bodies.
I musy ALWAYS change this setting to apply only to the bodies I require..
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I really hope someone actually reads these things.
image.png
-
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

That's circular reference and ZTG.
Of course SW crashed to prevent you from creating a blackhole.
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:29 pm I really hope someone actually reads these things.

image.png
ironically
a lot of the time, the error report crash on me too
so i get two crash from one crash ... wait... is this their one and two? :o
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

That's 2 for 1.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:31 am That's 2 for 1.
or, a Three For.. ><
Attachments
pic195754.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti

SPerman wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:29 pm I really hope someone actually reads these things.
Dassault error report department
image.png
Jason
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Really. You can't process the other 1934 files because 1 has to be resolved? (PDM Checkin)

grumph o[
image.png
-
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Gotta love stuff like that. And how do you know which one needs to be resolved?
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

KennyG wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:35 pm And how do you know which one needs to be resolved?
Sort by the errors/warnings column, brings them to the top (or bottom).
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Still scratching my head around this...

Why did they change the GD&T tool in SW2022?

The amount of mouse click needed in the new tool is just frustrating

Want to change your GD&T? Make sure to double click on the "correct" area
Want to delete or change your datum? Make sure to double click on the correct datum box tool!
Want to change two or more datum? Double click on the first datum, change it, then double click on the second datum, change it, repeat as needed yay!
Accidentally add a datum that is not needed? There is no back button, make two extra step to delete it!

Right click on the feature frame will show u both the rmb menu and gd&t window... because why not?!
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
jcapriotti

zwei wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:03 am
Want to change your GD&T? Make sure to double click on the "correct" area
Want to delete or change your datum? Make sure to double click on the correct datum box tool!
Want to change two or more datum? Double click on the first datum, change it, then double click on the second datum, change it, repeat as needed yay!
Accidentally add a datum that is not needed? There is no back button, make two extra step to delete it!

Right click on the feature frame will show u both the rmb menu and gd&t window... because why not?!
Not sure if this changed in 2023 but I only have to double click initially to put it in edit mode. After that, single click in an area activates and allows typing immediately. Seems to work ok although I'd like a picture with some of the menu text to assist selecting the correct option.

There also appears to more options than the old one. My GD&T standards knowledge is rusty, looks like new options have been added such as "Indicators". Also guessing the MBD stuff drove the change as well.
Jason
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:07 am Not sure if this changed in 2023 but I only have to double click initially to put it in edit mode. After that, single click in an area activates and allows typing immediately. Seems to work ok although I'd like a picture with some of the menu text to assist selecting the correct option.

There also appears to more options than the old one. My GD&T standards knowledge is rusty, looks like new options have been added such as "Indicators". Also guessing the MBD stuff drove the change as well.
TIL something... Never thought of clicking it again after the window show up....

o[
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Sometimes Solidworks is too smart for my own good.

If I wanted a hinge constraint, I would have picked a hinge constraint. For some reason SW decides any cylindrical feature should get this constraint. (Kind of like SW thinks all construction lines are centerlines.)

Click me! I'm a GIF.
HInge.gif
-