Help on project

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Lockeed
Answers: 0

Help on project

Unread post by Lockeed »

Hello, I have a drawing assignment for university and I've never had any doubts about drawing from 3D perspectives, but now I have one because I really can't imagine this in 3D. I've used AI tools, even research or tutorials on the internet, but none of them have helped me, could someone help me? The first picture represents the perspective from the front and the one below represents the perspective from above. Thank you in advance for your time and attention.
Figure to 3D
Figure to 3D
Krzysztof Szpakowski
Answers: 0

Re: Help on project

Unread post by Krzysztof Szpakowski »

The model is very simple, but it's for studies so I won't show it. Let me just say that the projection is in the ANSI standard and may be more difficult to imagine for people who use the ISO standard on a daily basis. Remember, ISO is the view from the side we are looking at, ANSI is the projection of the edge from the opposite side onto the viewport.
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

Lockeed wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:26 pm Hello, I have a drawing assignment for university and I've never had any doubts about drawing from 3D perspectives, but now I have one because I really can't imagine this in 3D.
This is probably intentional to make it look like an envelope in the upper left view. However, the upper triangular portion (the flap of the envelope) is not the most proud face of the body. I don't want to give you the answer but hopefully this hint helps.
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

Krzysztof Szpakowski wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:44 pm The model is very simple, but it's for studies so I won't show it. Let me just say that the projection is in the ANSI standard and may be more difficult to imagine for people who use the ISO standard on a daily basis. Remember, ISO is the view from the side we are looking at, ANSI is the projection of the edge from the opposite side onto the viewport.
I can't figure what you mean about first angle projection (ISO) versus third angle projection (ASME). In first angle projection, the left side is shown on the right, the top side shown on the bottom, etc.. In third angle projection, the left side is shown on the left, the top side shown on the top, etc..

I would guess the OP's picture is first angle projection. In third angle, it is a two-body shape, best I can make out. I'd be glad to share in a private message.

Dwight
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Dwight wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:59 am
I would guess the OP's picture is first angle projection. In third angle, it is a two-body shape, best I can make out. I'd be glad to share in a private message.
Well, not necessarily two bodies, but still fairly funky.
Frank_Oostendorp

Unread post by Frank_Oostendorp »

To make it more confusing:
image.png
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I remember this exercice in school, a mind twister for the beginners :lol:
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:21 am To make it more confusing:
image.png
Try moving your bottom view to the top, as the OP shows it, while still using the third angle projection.
Frank_Oostendorp

Dwight wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:35 am Try moving your bottom view to the top, as the OP shows it, while still using the third angle projection.
Why would I do that? It shows one of the problems of SolidWorks. ( moving views to new positions can destroy the arrangement according standard of selected projection method)
The problem I see a lot, many companies don't even show the selected projection method on their drawings. So it is very good to teach all involved about these details. In the past, I had to handle both types of projection in a mix. That will keep you awake. :D
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Dwight wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:35 am Try moving your bottom view to the top, as the OP shows it, while still using the third angle projection.
How about just make them detail views and move them around?
Confusing enough? ;;
Dwight

Unread post by Dwight »

Frank_Oostendorp wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:50 am Why would I do that?
To solve the problem in reverse, per the original post, in third angle projection.
Frank_Oostendorp

Dwight wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:20 am To solve the problem in reverse, per the original post, in third angle projection.
I guess the original post shows the views in first angle projection, but wouldn't amaze me if it doesn't show the active, chosen type of projection in the assignment.
I have no intention to show the solution already, the student has to start reading about projection methods, with examples, until he sees the light. oa
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

This is an exercice to see if the student is able to notice the projection error if my memory serves me right. It is made intentionally to confuse the user to see if he can notice the mistake within the drawing from the little knowledge he has so far about drawing projections.
Frank_Oostendorp

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:56 am How about just make them detail views and move them around?
Confusing enough? ;;
image.png