What are your most impressive tricks of Solidworks

Dwight
Answers: 2

Re: What are your most impressive tricks of Solidworks

Unread post by Dwight »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:40 am Yes, my drawings don't scream. No ALL CAPS !!!!!

Hidden line dimension. Only when necessary.
Of course, use a view with more visible lines.
All caps is ASME Y14.100, a standard used by many in the US. Nothing about shouting.

Dwight
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:26 am Not mine, but @Alin's.

Interesting... How is this different from using convert entity on face and trim it?
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
berg_lauritz
Answers: 6

Unread post by berg_lauritz »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:55 am Interesting... How is this different from using convert entity on face and trim it?
Interesting that the sketch symbol that SolidWorks is using is not actually the convert entities one - but the offset entities symbol.
josh
Answers: 11

Unread post by josh »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:55 am Interesting... How is this different from using convert entity on face and trim it?

It's the same, just a little quicker.

SW isn't using a different function (offset vs convert). The difference is between selecting a face vs selecting edges and converting them. Somehow that "convert" operation remembers its source entity and will always convert all edges of that same face, even if the original edges go away. If you select edges and convert them, then the edges go away, the constraint gets lost. It just depends on what you select to convert.
Dwight
Answers: 2

Unread post by Dwight »

josh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:29 pm It's the same, just a little quicker.

SW isn't using a different function (offset vs convert). The difference is between selecting a face vs selecting edges and converting them. Somehow that "convert" operation remembers its source entity and will always convert all edges of that same face, even if the original edges go away. If you select edges and convert them, then the edges go away, the constraint gets lost. It just depends on what you select to convert.
Yes. The usual issue is that it might add new edges disjointed from the sketch and preventing an extrude. They may also be out of sight, far away from the original sketch, making it tough to diagnose the problem unless you remember to expect this sort of thing.

Dwight
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I learned something new on the Swamp today: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... S2KgZcL0CQ. Thanks @dave.laban.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:01 am I learned something new on the Swamp today: https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... S2KgZcL0CQ. Thanks @dave.laban.

image.png
I always forget what key to hold down since I don't have to move/re-move buttons often. It's easier to remember to just go into customize and then just drag them off, no need to hold any button when dragin if your in the screen customize mode.
Glenn Schroeder

TTevolve wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:30 am I always forget what key to hold down since I don't have to move/re-move buttons often. It's easier to remember to just go into customize and then just drag them off, no need to hold any button when dragin if your in the screen customize mode.
That's what I've been doing for the last 14 years, but it's nice to know there's a simpler (for me) option. When I decide I don't need one it's more likely to be removed if I can just hold down a key and drag it off. If I have to go into Customize I'm more likely to just leave it there. I won't try to justify or explain why, that's just the way it is for me.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Glenn Schroeder

Another thread made me think of a workflow I don't believe I've mentioned or seen anywhere else. I frequently have view labels that contain text linked to cut list properties. Since they're view labels they of course don't have leaders. However, if you copy the note you can paste it in another view and the properties will reflect the new view if you click directly on the model and not just on a blank part of the drawing view.

I discovered that by trial and error (like quite a few things).

DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

Just stumbled on to this one after 14 years of SW usage.

Want to add something to a dimension? You don't need to type the + symbol! You can just stick the number you want to grow it by at the end and SW figures it out.
image.png
image.png
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

My latest SW achievements!
image.png
image.png (6.73 KiB) Viewed 280 times
image.png
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

From
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php? ... ack#p24108
Roberts P. wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:43 am I've found a way of locating faulty file that has previously been saved in rollback state.

1. Open the assembly that contains the rollback component.
2. Navigate to FeatureManager and select ConfigurationManager.
3. Right click on top component, select Add Configuration... and see the pop-up error message. The message should contain the name of the faulty component.
4. Open the faulty component, undo rollback status and then save.

Sincerely yours,
Roberts :)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams