Solidworks World...........errrr, 3D Experience World Videos

Arthur NY
Answers: 0

Solidworks World...........errrr, 3D Experience World Videos

Unread post by Arthur NY »

Anyone else not fall asleep........... I mean jump up and down with gleee for anything shown on the stage this year? Sometimes some of these stories just feel so forced rather than being organic when they're up there trying to get people to tell success stories of using the software when, maybe they just have stage fright, idunno. It's like a high school play and people have forgotten their lines....... :)

There was a time when thing didn't feel so stiff and cooperate.... when the presentations were some engineers were talking to other engineers. It's still great to go if only to talk with other users in person from all over.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... IN2-sFCwnk

One item worth noting is that SP updates will bring further functionality rather than having to wait for a year. This has been in place for a while but seems like it is a major focus. Though let's see how that plays out during the 2024 cycle....
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Solidworks World...........errrr, 3D Experience World Videos

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I'll give a listen this afternoon to the R&D Updates session, that's about it. I won't force myself to sit through it though so it better be interesting and not just marketing speech aimed at corporations rather then users.
KennyG
Answers: 7

Unread post by KennyG »

Arthur NY wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:51 am One item worth noting is that SP updates will bring further functionality rather than having to wait for a year. This has been in place for a while but seems like it is a major focus. Though let's see how that plays out during the 2024 cycle....
This is an evolution brought about by Agile Product Development where software is developed in short Product Increments (PI's). It also depends on a rigorous quality assurance (QA) program to insure zero regressions in each release. This process is utilized for cloud apps (3Dxperience) as this is common on those platforms, and once they are upgraded, there is no going back. It will be interesting to see if SolidWorks can pull off the "zero regression" thing...
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

KennyG wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:07 pm This is an evolution brought about by Agile Product Development where software is developed in short Product Increments (PI's). It also depends on a rigorous quality assurance (QA) program to insure zero regressions in each release. This process is utilized for cloud apps (3Dxperience) as this is common on those platforms, and once they are upgraded, there is no going back. It will be interesting to see if SolidWorks can pull off the "zero regression" thing...
...to insure zero regressions... and ...utilized for cloud apps you say? ;)

https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=33851#p33851

edit, sorry I didn't mean it as serious as it may read. Added the emoji, I hear those help.
AlexLachance

I skipped the 15 minute countdown, listened to about 15 minutes of awkwardness that felt like the "User Advocacy team" weren't much interested in the discussion. When they brought a chairman to continue the conversation is when I stopped the video.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I'm pretty sure they've been using "agile" for the last couple of years. They just haven't told anybody. There's plenty of regression in SP5 releases that I use as evidence.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:39 pm I'm pretty sure they've been using "agile" for the last couple of years. They just haven't told anybody. There's plenty of regression in SP5 releases that I use as evidence.
I think the .1 releases speak for themselves :lol:
Arthur NY

@KennyG

Have been a user since '98........ I've seen regression all over the place with this software and while this has decreased over the decades it still amazes me how some "common" things use to break back in the day. To be honest the push forward has always felt like it was ahead of the QC/QA process. Felt like a 80/20 thing......... 80% on progress and 20% on QC/QA. It was around the 2012 era when they couldn't ignore some of the glaring stark realities that so much was broken that this ratio had to change.

Their attention towards the future is also just as clear, which is definitely their prerogative, and I think if they could "instantly" replace all SW with 3DXP they would.

Onshape has done a great job in this arena but almost in reverse. They're almost like a 70% focus on QC/QA and 30% on progress. Fusion 360 has done a very haphazard botched, yet lucky, kind of implementation of this as well. In the end companies need to move away from this completely self forced narrative of having to put out a big release every year.
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

Any good stuff in the "What's coming in SW25" sketch they normally do at World?
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Do you consider half baked features that won't be useable for a couple of years, and that break previously working functionality "good stuff?"
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
gupta9665
Answers: 20

Unread post by gupta9665 »

dave.laban wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:22 am Any good stuff in the "What's coming in SW25" sketch they normally do at World?
Few I remember:

1. Multibodies fillets and chamfer
2. Planes/Axis can be patterned now
3. Change sketch block color on fly (during insert)
4. Instance to vary now have option to offset/vary the value from other instance. So no need to calculate the value from parent.
5. V notches in sheet metal
6. Apply selected custom properties to all or selected cut-list items.
7. Filter BOM based on Configurations and Display States
8. Autofix for dangling dimensions in drawing.
9. Reload a drawing like models.
10. Add specific colors to components in assembly visualization.
11. Selection toolbar for Chamfer command
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Unread post by dave.laban »

Nice, thanks! Multibody fillet / chamfer and BOM filtering will be nice.
Ryan-3DS

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

SPerman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:39 pm I'm pretty sure they've been using "agile" for the last couple of years. They just haven't told anybody. There's plenty of regression in SP5 releases that I use as evidence.
I don't know of any major CAD vendor not using agile updates these days. It makes sense for software design. PTC will tell you it makes sense for product design too. I've yet to figure out how that can be done successfully.
Ryan-3DS

Unread post by Ryan-3DS »

Arthur NY wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:51 am Anyone else not fall asleep........... I mean jump up and down with gleee for anything shown on the stage this year? Sometimes some of these stories just feel so forced rather than being organic when they're up there trying to get people to tell success stories of using the software when, maybe they just have stage fright, idunno. It's like a high school play and people have forgotten their lines....... :)

There was a time when thing didn't feel so stiff and cooperate.... when the presentations were some engineers were talking to other engineers. It's still great to go if only to talk with other users in person from all over.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... IN2-sFCwnk

One item worth noting is that SP updates will bring further functionality rather than having to wait for a year. This has been in place for a while but seems like it is a major focus. Though let's see how that plays out during the 2024 cycle....
Agree that they should have done some editing and removed the 15 minutes of sitting in a queue. And should have bookmarked the video at the actual on-stage start point.
I also agree the people/customer success stories were a bit off. I can say from experience at other DS events that all presenters who have speaking parts are required to be onsite a few days before their session so that it can be practiced. I don't think this happened for this event. So you have people who are not familiar with the scripts, jokes, and general layout of the teleprompters. It results in a first-run production without any practice!

I will have to say there was some exciting news and some cool things that can be used in the combination of SW desktop and the 3DS platform. Yes, I'm plugging the platform! Gotta keep my job you know!
Arthur NY

@Ryan-3DS Dassault has made this roll out, quite possibly, THE most painful thing ever!!! What made the engineering community luv using the software was that, at the core, it was for engineers by engineers. While it wasn't the best when released in 1995 by 2005 is was quickly becoming the industry standard.

I get, 1000%, why the move to 3DS is happening but they've gone the...."we're gonna shove this down your throat" route rather than build good will with, one could quite arguably say, is one of the largest software's used in the engineering community. It's clear where the bulk of the larger forward best things are going and it's not SW as we've known it.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Ryan-3DS wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:18 pm I don't know of any major CAD vendor not using agile updates these days. It makes sense for software design. PTC will tell you it makes sense for product design too. I've yet to figure out how that can be done successfully.
Just because it is good for the software companies, doesn't mean it is good for the consumer.

I would argue, if you want to use the agile model in cad software, you should be way more careful than DSS, and put the things you broke way higher on the priority list. If the agile philosophy is "We'll fix it in the next release" you have to actually do that part.
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:00 am Just because it is good for the software companies, doesn't mean it is good for the consumer.

I would argue, if you want to use the agile model in cad software, you should be way more careful than DSS, and put the things you broke way higher on the priority list. If the agile philosophy is "We'll fix it in the next release" you have to actually do that part.
And ensure you won't break it again in the next release because of bad cohesion between R&D teams.