Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
dave.laban
Answers: 4

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by dave.laban »

I don't think I'd be very happy if my VAR posted my name, company and full license number online for all to see. <()>
image.png
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

dave.laban wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:16 am I don't think I'd be very happy if my VAR posted my name, company and full license number online for all to see. <()>
That's just... wow. <()>
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

dave.laban wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:16 am I don't think I'd be very happy if my VAR posted my name, company and full license number online for all to see. <()>

image.png
incompetence at it's finest. Thankfully he forgot the credit card info
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

image.png
Young guy based on his profile. The newer generations (and some older) don't seem to value privacy as much.....maybe too used to air their dirty laundry on the internet.
Jason
AlexLachance

18 hours after posting and the serial is still there. I sent a DM to someone at Dassault to have it taken down... Incredible lol
dave.laban

I flagged it for abuse this morning for sharing confidential information, that system has hardly been rapid.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Not much anyone can do with the serial number.
Can't activate without email.
Glenn Schroeder

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

It said the user is from whatever corporation, so I assume it's a network license. If that's the case, the serial number wouldn't do any good without access to the server (I think).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Glenn Schroeder

My computer was acting up so I took it to our IT people to fix. It sounds like they're pretty sure they can fix it by updating it to Windows 11. In the meantime they gave me a loaner with Windows 11. I really like that you can have multiple tabs now in File Explorer. That's something I didn't know I wanted until it became a thing.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I've been on W11 for a while, and never noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out, that is a huge timesaver.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Spider-man1962
Answers: 0

Unread post by Spider-man1962 »

That is a great feature, I end up using that a lot when searching for multiple files.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Windoze is about a decade behind in multiple tabs in file browser, Linux desktop environments have had that since maybe 2008?
Glenn Schroeder

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:23 am My computer was acting up so I took it to our IT people to fix. It sounds like they're pretty sure they can fix it by updating it to Windows 11. In the meantime they gave me a loaner with Windows 11. I really like that you can have multiple tabs now in File Explorer. That's something I didn't know I wanted until it became a thing.
It turned out that they were able to fix it without wiping it and starting over. Some time ago they combined several of our network drives into one, and a recent update caused numerous computers to lock up because they were trying to access those missing drives (I think I have that right).

Frederick_Law

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:44 am Some time ago they combined several of our network drives into one, and a recent update caused numerous computers to lock up because they were trying to access those missing drives (I think I have that right).
Yeap.
Let's move all the files to different locations and see what happen.
ctsturdiv

Unread post by ctsturdiv »

SPerman wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:50 pm I've been on W11 for a while, and never noticed that. Thanks for pointing that out, that is a huge timesaver.
I was forced to upgrade to W11 last spring.

Pain in the @$$ and freaked me out. Also inconvenienced me since the wiring in my neighborhood is not the best (the wires here are cut and recut multiple times from people stealing cable and the box floods every heavy rain) and I use cellular wireless via PDAnet which HATES big downloads. Had to sit at the school to use their bandwidth.

Think it had to do that the school uses the full Microsoft 365 suite including Teams, Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point, etc and those connected to the system, they forced updates.

Knocked out the touch mouse pad on one of the laptops I was using because the driver did not take. Freaked out because drawings were due and took my grant money to buy the laptop I use now, because the older laptop has USB and HDMI port issues that can not be fixed unless you buy a motherboard and the build quality of that one was not that good. (MSI GF63 thin i5 lower tier budget gaming laptop).

As I am unpacking and setting up the beefier laptop, old laptop reboots and reads "FOUND DRIVER FOR MSI MOUSEPAD", so felt like a dummy.

But then again, I live with myself because this new laptop screams. And I still use the old one to look at .pdfs so I can have my CAD insructor's videos on new laptop screen, AutoCAD on big UHD screen via HDMI, and he old laptop just showing the .pdfs.
AlexLachance

I'm supposed to have a little phone call with OnShape with a little presentation of the new things introduced tomorrow. Eager to see what's new but doubt we'll be switching anytime soon.
Frederick_Law

ctsturdiv wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:56 am I was forced to upgrade to W11 last spring.

Pain in the @$$ and freaked me out. Also inconvenienced me since the wiring in my neighborhood is not the best (the wires here are cut and recut multiple times from people stealing cable and the box floods every heavy rain) and I use cellular wireless via PDAnet which HATES big downloads. Had to sit at the school to use their bandwidth.

Think it had to do that the school uses the full Microsoft 365 suite including Teams, Excel, Word, Outlook, Power Point, etc and those connected to the system, they forced updates.

Knocked out the touch mouse pad on one of the laptops I was using because the driver did not take. Freaked out because drawings were due and took my grant money to buy the laptop I use now, because the older laptop has USB and HDMI port issues that can not be fixed unless you buy a motherboard and the build quality of that one was not that good. (MSI GF63 thin i5 lower tier budget gaming laptop).

As I am unpacking and setting up the beefier laptop, old laptop reboots and reads "FOUND DRIVER FOR MSI MOUSEPAD", so felt like a dummy.

But then again, I live with myself because this new laptop screams. And I still use the old one to look at .pdfs so I can have my CAD insructor's videos on new laptop screen, AutoCAD on big UHD screen via HDMI, and he old laptop just showing the .pdfs.
I was running SW2020 on Dell E7240 with 60" TV at home. Got it used for less than $300CAD. Upgrade RAM and larger SSD. Still working great.
Also ran simulation on weld fixture with it.
Frederick_Law

The tin foil hat got better:
https://getlambs.com/
Glenn Schroeder

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:46 am The tin foil hat got better:
The site says it "boosts cognition." I suspect most people who buy that could use some cognition boosting, but I have my doubts that the clothing will help.

On an unrelated subject, I just got back from a week-long trip to Belize with my wife and some of her relatives and their friends. It was my first time outside the US. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Frederick_Law

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:19 am The site says it "boosts cognition." I suspect most people who buy that could use some cognition boosting, but I have my doubts that the clothing will help.
Some people do claim to sense EMF. From high power line and wifi.
Wife can sense wifi. She can tell if that's 2.4 or 5GHz.
A thermal blanket (tin foil LOL) did help blocking some.
So actually, I might see one at home in the near future.

Hopefully it'll also block all the government and alien implants ()
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:50 am Wife can sense wifi. She can tell if that's 2.4 or 5GHz.

Really? That's quite astounding. I knew some people were more sensitive to radiowaves/microwaves but I didn't think it would go as far as being able to distinguish them. I wonder what influences this. Is it the eardrum?

Makes me wonder if I'm not a bit sensitive to them.
dave.laban

I can hear some high frequency electronics that seems to pass by most others. It's pretty annoying tbh.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Back when I used to have hearing, and shopping malls were a thing, I could hear a high pitch whine whenever I was in one of the big department stores. (Now I hear it 100% of the time, but that's tinnitus.)
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexLachance

dave.laban wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:37 am I can hear some high frequency electronics that seems to pass by most others. It's pretty annoying tbh.
Yeah, that I do. Ultrawaves is something that I hear and most people do not, it can be quite irritating at times
RichGergely

Unread post by RichGergely »

I had coil whine on a mother board, no one in the house could hear it and the engineer who came out couldn't hear it. Either way the engineer changed it because he understood only certain peoples hearing was in tune to it, he put it down as some kind of warranty issue so was fixed for free. Such a relief though when it had gone, it was driving me up the wall.
Frederick_Law

I can't really hear those ultrasonic mouse repeller but I know it's around.
Well I'm year of the Rat anyway .....

I guess those EMF hats will sell out soon .....
AlexLachance

RichGergely wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:40 pm I had coil whine on a mother board, no one in the house could hear it and the engineer who came out couldn't hear it. Either way the engineer changed it because he understood only certain peoples hearing was in tune to it, he put it down as some kind of warranty issue so was fixed for free. Such a relief though when it had gone, it was driving me up the wall.
Now that's some good service, not everyone would be as kind. The kind of service that makes you go back :P
Frederick_Law

SPerman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:42 am (Now I hear it 100% of the time, but that's tinnitus.)
Same.
I was wondering if I can cancel it with headphone by using same freq and change phase.
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:19 pm Same.
I was wondering if I can cancel it with headphone by using same freq and change phase.
My tinitus goes away with noise cancelling headphones so I'm guessing most likely. Mine is very minimal though, I'm still a youngin' ><
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:46 am The tin foil hat got better:
Whether you believe in EMF's effects (from you phone/electronics) and its potential to negatively affect your well being, I'd say reading /texting while driving on said devices are much more likely to impact your life.

That said, I felt a little Weird Al coming on.
https://www.cadforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=33715#p33715
Jason
AlexLachance

Without going into politics, how do you guys feel about Tucker Carlsson going to interview Vladimir Putin? I think this might be very interesting. Wondering if the picture painted by the media will be accurate with what comes out of the interview lol
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:33 am Without going into politics, how do you guys feel about Tucker Carlsson going to interview Vladimir Putin? I think this might be very interesting. Wondering if the picture painted by the media will be accurate with what comes out of the interview lol
I hadn't heard about it, but it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:33 am Without going into politics, how do you guys feel about Tucker Carlsson going to interview Vladimir Putin? I think this might be very interesting. Wondering if the picture painted by the media will be accurate with what comes out of the interview lol
Or if he just gets ganked by Putin.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Glenn Schroeder

Has anyone else tried logging onto the Swamp this morning? I've tried several pages that I have bookmarked and they all just show a white screen.

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:52 am Has anyone else tried logging onto the Swamp this morning? I've tried several pages that I have bookmarked and they all just show a white screen.
I'm currently, logged in, not having any issues on Google Chrome.
Frederick_Law

We all know the interview will be scripted, censored, cleaned, washed.
Maybe they'll send in a few spy?
Ethan?
dave.laban

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:52 am Has anyone else tried logging onto the Swamp this morning? I've tried several pages that I have bookmarked and they all just show a white screen.
I had about 30 minutes where I couldn't get in earlier, resolved now though.
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:54 am I'm currently, logged in, not having any issues on Google Chrome.
Thanks. It works for me now also.

SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:33 am Without going into politics, how do you guys feel about Tucker Carlsson going to interview Vladimir Putin?
How do you have a discussion on this topic without involving politics?
-
AlexLachance

SPerman wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:37 am How do you have a discussion on this topic without involving politics?
I was kind of asking myself the same question as I was making my post but I figured I'd add that regardless to try to diminish people going directly into politics.

I think we can speak about the matter without taking a "personal" approach. While I think that as Fred said, the whole thing will most likely be scripted, I'm kind of eager to see what will result from this. I'm kind of wondering what the 'narrative' will be.
Frederick_Law

Poke the bear without poking the bear .....
First, see if Tucker could get out of Russia.
We all know what cannot be talked.
Interesting to see what they could talk.

How to craft the interview and get to read Putin's mind.

Don't know if Tucker got balls or death wish.
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:34 pm Poke the bear without poking the bear .....
First, see if Tucker could get out of Russia.
We all know what cannot be talked.
Interesting to see what they could talk.

How to craft the interview and get to read Putin's mind.

Don't know if Tucker got balls or death wish.
Yeah, you pretty much summed it up. I'm wondering what style of interview it will be. Will it be a back and forth interview with questions and answers or will it be something structured with a question/answer format without Tucker being able to question his answer. Will it be made to appeal to a certain audience or will they have an approach for a more Russia/USA conversation. Just kind of intrigued I guess.

Most of all, I'm wondering if Tucker's gonna be able to hold himself back from interrupting :lol:
RichGergely

Strange thing happened today. My Fiesta ST was stolen back in September. Got a parcel from a auction/salvage company this morning with a credit card in, the name of the credit card was a lady I have never heard of.

Anyway, it turns out this auction/salvage place gets the cars that the Police have seized and then the insurance company decides what to do with with them depending on the condition (or owner if the insurance company hasn't paid out yet). Apparently the car is in good condition still since it was stolen in September and seized in January, it will probably get auctioned.

What is unbelievable is that the Police didn't find this stolen credit card in the vehicle. It appears, until I know further info, the criminals were using the car as transport. It has presently got no plates on it and the salvage yard said it looks like false plates were being swapped on it maybe multiple times.

I never knew the car was recovered until this, the insurance company officially own it now. The only reason the salvage company sent this stolen credit card to me is because they are instructed by the insurance company to send all personal effects in recovered vehicles to the original owner.
Frederick_Law

RichGergely wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:44 pm Got a parcel from a auction/salvage company this morning with a credit card in, the name of the credit card was a lady I have never heard of.
Did she go kidnapped? Robbed? Worse?
Or she's the thief?
RichGergely

Frederick_Law wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:55 pm Did she go kidnapped? Robbed? Worse?
Or she's the thief?
Well I talked to the police yesterday, they didn't want to tell me too much but they took there time on the phone looking at the case and discussing with 'higher' ranks. The officer took the details of the name on the card and what bank it was. After all the discussion, the officer I was talking to put it on high alert for who was in charge of the case to contact me.

Edit
I assume which ever officers who seized the car will get a toasting for not finding a credit card ;;
Frederick_Law

RichGergely wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:14 pm Edit
I assume which ever officers who seized the car will get a toasting for not finding a credit card ;;
They were busy hiding the cash and a few white bricks.
Frederick_Law

Or they were busy with her?

We can make this into a movie.
Glenn Schroeder

You've gotta love spam emails. I hadn't checked my spam folder in quite a while, so I just took a look. One of them is addressed to "Unconfirmed dear," and another one warns me that "Anamul" tried to log into my Facebook account (which would be a good trick since I've never had one).

image.png

AlexLachance

Just wanted to brag of our colourfulness
FB_IMG_1708645991232.jpg
AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:44 pm You've gotta love spam emails. I hadn't checked my spam folder in quite a while, so I just took a look. One of them is addressed to "Unconfirmed dear," and another one warns me that "Anamul" tried to log into my Facebook account (which would be a good trick since I've never had one).

image.png
These are easy to spot at least, some are very more subtle and catch the less aware. My mom was telling me last week about how she got texted by "Amazon" and how she called them and spoke with them for 45 minutes. She didn't give away anything direct, but they did get her to give a few answers that would serve in certain security checks... Hopefully nothing comes out of it but I still didn't like how "close" they got