Sheet Metal Parcel Boxes

gupta9665
Answers: 20

Sheet Metal Parcel Boxes

Unread post by gupta9665 »

Not a SolidWorks related question but looking on ideas/recommendations to design sheet metal parcel boxes which can be knock-down easily.

Here is one which looks close. So looking for ideas on internal structure. And also how to assembly from inside only (without the fasteners being visible from outside)

(https://www.theshelvingstore.com/Kids-M ... 24-1gs.htm)

Thank you for any pointers.
Deepak Gupta
SOLIDWORKS Consultant/Blogger
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Re: Sheet Metal Parcel Boxes

Unread post by AlexLachance »

By knock-down, you mean broken down into parts? Is there any complexity to the box? If you could give more info I'll try and give some pointers.

I guess it depends a lot on what the intent is. For instance we started by making our airboxes with each faces individually so that we could have a more efficient nesting but we eventually "merged" some of them to make less parts and less welds. Then we modified the overall shape of the box to add a seal on it. When we did each things, we simply created new numbers rather then try to continue with the existing parts that weren't modeled as desired.

If I'm designing an airbox, I'll be working with an extruded geometry to get the overall shape I want and then I'll go from there to see what kind of design I can get to be as lean as possible.
gupta9665

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:01 pm By knock-down, you mean broken down into parts? Is there any complexity to the box? If you could give more info I'll try and give some pointers.

I guess it depends a lot on what the intent is. For instance we started by making our airboxes with each faces individually so that we could have a more efficient nesting but we eventually "merged" some of them to make less parts and less welds. Then we modified the overall shape of the box to add a seal on it. When we did each things, we simply created new numbers rather then try to continue with the existing parts that weren't modeled as desired.

If I'm designing an airbox, I'll be working with an extruded geometry to get the overall shape I want and then I'll go from there to see what kind of design I can get to be as lean as possible.
The sheet metal box is to be made knock-down type so that packing volume can be reduced. And it can be assembled easily. Thank you
Deepak Gupta
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

you can do tabs and slots to interlock pieces and avoid some fasteners. Also depending on the size and how much scrap you want to make you can make a full size box from a single piece.
image.png
This is a corner of a door I made, it's a miter flange all the way around. Usually the limitations are based on what equipment you have to manufacture it.
gupta9665

Deepak Gupta
gupta9665

TTevolve wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:00 pm you can do tabs and slots to interlock pieces and avoid some fasteners. Also depending on the size and how much scrap you want to make you can make a full size box from a single piece.

image.png

This is a corner of a door I made, it's a miter flange all the way around. Usually the limitations are based on what equipment you have to manufacture it.
Thank you for sharing. I'll be doing miter flange for the door and side covers.Just thinking on the wiring layouts now.
Deepak Gupta