Files with blank State & Workflow

Installation, PDM, standards, training, support, part numbering, rev schemes, etc.
smf39
Answers: 0

Files with blank State & Workflow

Unread post by smf39 »

Hello! Our SW PDM vault has several thousand files without any State or Workflow. It appears to have happened somehow after a delete then recover operation. I'm unable to transition them to any new state. Any ideas on how I could fix this? I've been eyeing up the CurrentStatusID column of the Documents table, but am leery of messing with the DB. Thanks!
Attachments
blank_state.png
AlexB
Answers: 21

Re: Files with blank State & Workflow

Unread post by AlexB »

That's a bit odd. Do you have any more details on what was involved in the delete and recover operation? I've restored vaults in the past and never encountered anything odd like this so I'm curious about how it was done. This will help me reproduce it if possible.

Also, I highly recommend against direct database manipulation. It will just about always result in problems.
smf39

Unread post by smf39 »

I think the files were <Private State> but added to the vault, so they existed in the archive. I deleted them as Admin then recovered them around 30 min later, which left them checked in without a state. I tried reproducing it yesterday (in 2022 SP5) but they went into workflows correctly. At the time these files were deleted we were on 2020 SP5 and the category and workflow entry conditions had issues, so it may have been related to the old version or the bad conditions.

I was able to "fix" the issue in our test vault yesterday via the database but am running it by DS before doing anything in our prod vault. Yeah, the trouble with database mods is that it might appear to have worked, but then you find it's broken in some other area of the software. You don't know what you don't know. Cheers.
smf39

Unread post by smf39 »

I checked with DS about my "fix", just got a generic reply about the perils of DB edits. I ended up just copying the problem files with a suffix, checking those in, then deleting the originals. I realised they haven't been visible to anyone but Admin anyway, since no users have permissions to view a state that doesn't exist. Thanks for the input.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

smf39 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:26 pm I think the files were <Private State> but added to the vault, so they existed in the archive. I deleted them as Admin then recovered them around 30 min later, which left them checked in without a state. I tried reproducing it yesterday (in 2022 SP5) but they went into workflows correctly. At the time these files were deleted we were on 2020 SP5 and the category and workflow entry conditions had issues, so it may have been related to the old version or the bad conditions.

I was able to "fix" the issue in our test vault yesterday via the database but am running it by DS before doing anything in our prod vault. Yeah, the trouble with database mods is that it might appear to have worked, but then you find it's broken in some other area of the software. You don't know what you don't know. Cheers.
Problem with DB edits is that the data in one table may also exist in other tables. So you change one table and it no longer matches the other which may or may not break something. The other "gotcha" is that some tables have triggers so you modify or delete something and it triggers stored procedures that do other things.
Jason
Diaval
Answers: 7

Unread post by Diaval »

smf39 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:37 pm I checked with DS about my "fix", just got a generic reply about the perils of DB edits. I ended up just copying the problem files with a suffix, checking those in, then deleting the originals. I realised they haven't been visible to anyone but Admin anyway, since no users have permissions to view a state that doesn't exist. Thanks for the input.
There is a user permission in the Folder permissions called May see files before initial check in (Private State). This option would allow the user to see other user's private state files prior to the first check in.
-- To espouse elucidation we must eschew obfuscation
smf39

Unread post by smf39 »

Diaval wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:39 am There is a user permission in the Folder permissions called May see files before initial check in (Private State). This option would allow the user to see other user's private state files prior to the first check in.
These files weren't private state. They were checked in but had no State due to some issue during a recover operation.
jcapriotti wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:42 am Problem with DB edits is that the data in one table may also exist in other tables. So you change one table and it no longer matches the other which may or may not break something. The other "gotcha" is that some tables have triggers so you modify or delete something and it triggers stored procedures that do other things.
Quite right! My test-vault fix was to update TransitionID in the TransitionHistory table for each file, which had a trigger to update the corresponding CurrentStatusID in the Documents table (desirable in this case). But I didn't end up doing this in the production-vault, erring on the side of caution.
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

smf39 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:45 pm Quite right! My test-vault fix was to update TransitionID in the TransitionHistory table for each file, which had a trigger to update the corresponding CurrentStatusID in the Documents table (desirable in this case). But I didn't end up doing this in the production-vault, erring on the side of caution.
Yes, best to stick with doing things in the UI or API. There are a few tables that are safe to edit but its hard to know which ones. You 'll need VAR/SolidWorks blessing most times.
Jason