delete read only files that are not part of the vault not working

Discuss SolidWorks PDM
mp3-250
Answers: 18

delete read only files that are not part of the vault not working

Unread post by mp3-250 »

We activated for all our users "delete read only files that are not part of the vault" and we are pretty much happy with this, but I discovered by accident that at least for one of our engineers it not working: gray folders are not deleted when browsing and local files are displayed.

both the user and its group settings are ok. the "delete red only files that are not part of the vault " is not working for this person.

I tried to uncheck and check it again in the user interface, but nothing changes, the setting is not honored...
by mp3-250 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:02 am
I found the problem: that pc was from another former employer and his folder inside the vault was moved to another place leaving a gray folder in its former pc.
the files inside that folder were not read-only so pdm has not deleted them. correctly.
Go to full post
bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: delete read only files that are not part of the vault not working

Unread post by bnemec »

As far as I know, those files are only deleted when the user browses into the folder that contains them. If they are "locked by another process" then the pdm client process cannot delete them. Also, they may not be read only, for whatever reason. We've seen this several times.

It's even worse when primarily using the Search Tool as it does not display the deleted/moved/etc files, even if they match search criteria so the user doesn't realize they are still in local cache.
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

@bnemec I suppose those files where locked somehow, but that gray folder is not supposed to be there anymore as it was already deleted. I browsed with explorer after I searched for the local file in the vault.
I have an excel file that I mde for the purpose of cleaning up the vault. you click on the folder link, explorer opens and the cached local data is gone.
that pdm client is just ignoring the delete operation for some reason, while other workstations are just working fine...
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Is there something in the folder that's causing Windows to block deleting the folder, you know, like thumbs.db ? I'm guessing the pdm process is just swallowing the error from file system instead of displaying a helpful error dialog, you know that dialog that we all hate to get when deleting and "empty" directory in file explorer.
image.png
mp3-250

Unread post by mp3-250 »

I found the problem: that pc was from another former employer and his folder inside the vault was moved to another place leaving a gray folder in its former pc.
the files inside that folder were not read-only so pdm has not deleted them. correctly.