Description property in Windows Explorer

Here we have answers to common questions about SolidWorks. If you want to request or contribute answers, just flag down a moderator.
mgibeault
Answers: 1

Description property in Windows Explorer

Unread post by mgibeault »

Is the second "Description" property, the good one that shows what we add in SolidWorks is only available on computers that have SW installed?
mgibeault

Re: Description property in Windows Explorer

Reading my post today makes me think the question is not very clear...

In Windows' file Explorer, I have the habit to add a column to show the Description custom property of SolidWorks files.
I go through the process described on every reseller website such as this one: https://www.solidsolutions.co.uk/blog/2 ... s-folders/

But I have one computer where it doesn't work. There's only one "Description" available to show in the column chooser of Windows Explorer and it's the wrong one; the column stays empty.
It's the first time I try this on a computer which has no SW installation. Is that a pre-requisite? If so, which component should I install to get that capability?

Thanks!
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

mgibeault wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:13 am Reading my post today makes me think the question is not very clear...

In Windows' file Explorer, I have the habit to add a column to show the Description custom property of SolidWorks files.
I go through the process described on every reseller website such as this one: https://www.solidsolutions.co.uk/blog/2 ... s-folders/

But I have one computer where it doesn't work. There's only one "Description" available to show in the column chooser of Windows Explorer and it's the wrong one; the column stays empty.
It's the first time I try this on a computer which has no SW installation. Is that a pre-requisite? If so, which component should I install to get that capability?

Thanks!
I believe it is but I could be mistaken.
mgibeault

Thanks Alex,
I'll try to install some free stuff like SW File Explorer to see if I can get it without a full SW install.
I'll report back.
TTevolve
Answers: 3

Unread post by TTevolve »

Mine is the second one