Form Square Tube Using Sheet Metal Techniques

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Form Square Tube Using Sheet Metal Techniques

Unread post by Roasted By John »

@mike miller Racking My Brain - why you would want to bend weldments :) - Sheet metal bending is based on "Air Bending" with open profiles, unless it's a two step process, such as hemming etc. Now if you were to just take a square/round tube to the Brake Press and bend it without notching, you would have a different result then what was shown above. That would be almost impossible to calculate properly in a 3D program. It's amazing how far a lot of those molecules need to move in that process.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Laser cut square tube

Unread post by mike miller »

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:30 am @mike miller Racking My Brain - why you would want to bend weldments :) - Sheet metal bending is based on "Air Bending" with open profiles, unless it's a two step process, such as hemming etc. Now if you were to just take a square/round tube to the Brake Press and bend it without notching, you would have a different result then what was shown above. That would be almost impossible to calculate properly in a 3D program. It's amazing how far a lot of those molecules need to move in that process.
Nooo.......I'm not talking about machine-bending (or rolling) tube, though that would be nice too ;) . I'm talking about this exact scenario where a tube is bent by hand after cutting out the "bird's mouth" notch. IMHO, SWX could build that feature into the weldment tool if they really wanted to. Think about an alternate end condition type instead of just overlap, underlap, and miter.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John
Answers: 1

Unread post by Roasted By John »

You should be able to do what you want in sheet metal, if??? you don't completely make a full square profile, leave a gap.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

So I was having some fun this morning...... :D

This is a great example of the Sheet Metal / Combine method. As a side note, I learned that Solidworks doesn't like to fold in two different directions at once, hence the two Fold features at the end of the tree. I was pleasantly surprised that it creates only one flat pattern and seems to work flawlessly in that regard. ><
Attachments
tubing bend for laser.SLDPRT
(463.52 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Tim Hoover
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tim Hoover »

I was able to get your test file to unfold by using "Convert to Sheet Metal", instead of "Base Flange/Tab".

1. Extrude your radius instead of Base Flange.

2. Combine all bodies

3. Convert to Sheet Metal, and select "Keep Body"

4. Combine, selecting sheet metal body first

5. Add fillets to replicate your angle profile.
xmaniekx

Unread post by xmaniekx »

Tim Hoover wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:50 am I was able to get your test file to unfold by using "Convert to Sheet Metal", instead of "Base Flange/Tab".

1. Extrude your radius instead of Base Flange.

2. Combine all bodies

3. Convert to Sheet Metal, and select "Keep Body"

4. Combine, selecting sheet metal body first

5. Add fillets to replicate your angle profile.
Thank you, for more complicated parts which include threads it will require additional operations, but finally it is possible to move on with the project.
I want to keep thread operations because local 3D laser has additional feature of thermal thread drilling.
Tim Hoover

Understood. I played around with the test a little more and I was able to get it to flatten if I created a Base-Flange that overlaps the whole weldment.
image.png
Obviously this will depend on the geometry that you have in your model, but it might be an option.
image.png
xmaniekx

Thank you Tim, that is even quicker method.
Right now I am facing my biggest challenge - I have one frame that will be bent in two planes. IF I could get @mike_miller's method to work, it would be simple. Unfortunately - as with previous files - I cannot unbend more than once. Using @Tim Hoover's method I would have to "bend" every corner of angle profile, and then remove them from flatten operation and replace them with straight corners, am I right?
Attachments
scr1.PNG
P_Rama_L40x40x3_1szt.SLDPRT
(596.42 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Tim Hoover

Not sure if it is any faster, but I did find another option.

1. Flatten the 2 bends to make the frame flat.
image.png
2. Make a boss extrude the size of the whole frame.

3. Combine "Common".

4. Convert to Sheet Metal & Keep Body (x2)
image.png
image.png
5. Combine
Attachments
image.png
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

@matt , any chance you would like to move the more recent posts of this secondary conversation to a new thread? The original was sleeping.

I keep seeing the title "Laser cut square tube" and open it then realize it's no longer about laser cut tube.
xmaniekx

Thank you Tim Hoover, I have finally finished my technical drawings. Laser technician accepted my files. I hope that it will be weldable after cutting. I really appreciate your help.