Modeling threads for 3D printing

Use this space to ask how to do whatever you're trying to use SolidWorks to do.
doobes
Answers: 1

Modeling threads for 3D printing

Unread post by doobes »

So,

I'm modeling threads for printing on my 3D printer.

In the past I did this the "old fashioned way" by getting out my Machinery's handbook and physically entering in the dimensions. This way I could "open up" the internal threads and tighten up the external threads to accommodate for the "growth" intrinsic in 3D modeling.

I needed to do this again and decided to use the new whiz bang "thread" tool.

Ok, it's interesting, but I "think" I have it sorted.

Now the problem. There is no slop whatsoever in these. I just printed a male/female set and they will start to engage, but there is no clearance.

Any idea how to add clearance to the threads?

Or do I just go back to Machinery's and do it the old fashioned way?

Thanks
chris
SPerman
Answers: 13

Re: Modeling threads for 3D printing

Unread post by SPerman »

I did that on a few parts. After creating the threads, I scaled one or the other of the parts in X and Y to generate a little clearance. These were 2" - 12 tpi and it worked out pretty well. I assume it would work as well on more traditional thread sizes, but I haven't tried it.

I also have a male and female thread part that is based on the MH numbers. I create a new configuration for each thread I need, and all I have to do is update the numbers, which i get from a spreadsheet that generates them based on pitch and dia. The solidworks threads are an approximation.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
AlexB
Answers: 22

Unread post by AlexB »

I may be misunderstanding but would increasing the hole major diameter or decrease the threaded rod major diameter help? It would essentially keep the same thread profile but create clearance by changing the diameters of the mating parts.
doobes
Answers: 1

Unread post by doobes »

AlexB wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 am I may be misunderstanding but would increasing the hole major diameter or decrease the threaded rod major diameter help? It would essentially keep the same thread profile but create clearance by changing the diameters of the mating parts.
That worked fine.

Thanks
chris
len_1962
Answers: 0

Unread post by len_1962 »

Another trick I use is making solid bodies aka Tap and Stud that give the correct MH size.
then you can add the body to the part and either add the stud or subract the tap from the part body using the combine tool.

It is just us machinist handle getting correct 3D prints or part to CNC.

the other problem with the SW thread tool is that the profile gives a flat bottom not a V shape so that screws and bolts can be used because of the flat.