Tip to help with eye strain...

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Tip to help with eye strain...

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Turn your nightlight on:

Go into PC settings -> System -> Display
2021-04-05 21_15_49-Window.jpg
And if you go into "Night Light Settings" you can adjust the strength.
This gives the screen a reddish hue which greatly helps with eye strain.

And if that isn't enough turn the lights off in your office... it gives an awesome studio-like feel! Although you'll get a lot of strange looks from your coworkers (I'm speaking from experience).
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Tahhhd
Answers: 0

Re: Tip to help with eye strain...

Unread post by Tahhhd »

When I first started working in industry, there were 3 of us in the corners of a small room, and the lights were NEVER on.
- Everyone called it the "CAD Cave"
t
Dtief190

Unread post by Dtief190 »

Turn down the monitor brightness. Change the backgrounds on windows and apps to be shades of gray. Dim room lighting, especially any that reflect off the monitor.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:22 pm Turn your nightlight on:

And if that isn't enough turn the lights off in your office... it gives an awesome studio-like feel! Although you'll get a lot of strange looks from your coworkers (I'm speaking from experience).
I'm going to have to mess with this a bit. Probably 6-8 months ago I started having issues with blurry vision that continued to get worse and worse. In the AM I could see fine, some days after staring at a screen(s) for 8-10 hours I had very blurry vision, especially in one eye.

Saw one ophthalmologist and he said "You have dry eyes"...wierd that I only have dry eyes during the days I work, but I tried drops, no effect. I then went to another ophthalmologist and he gave me a prescription for "Computer glasses". This is only my second day using them but it makes a significant difference. Yesterday, Monday being the worst day where I typically was half blind by the end of the day, I only had slightly blurred vision in one eye.

Maybe some other "Eye strain reduction" measures will improve things even more.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

MJuric wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:08 am

I'm going to have to mess with this a bit. Probably 6-8 months ago I started having issues with blurry vision that continued to get worse and worse. In the AM I could see fine, some days after staring at a screen(s) for 8-10 hours I had very blurry vision, especially in one eye.

Saw one ophthalmologist and he said "You have dry eyes"...wierd that I only have dry eyes during the days I work, but I tried drops, no effect. I then went to another ophthalmologist and he gave me a prescription for "Computer glasses". This is only my second day using them but it makes a significant difference. Yesterday, Monday being the worst day where I typically was half blind by the end of the day, I only had slightly blurred vision in one eye.

Maybe some other "Eye strain reduction" measures will improve things even more.
I've had separate glasses for working at my computer for years. I wear bifocals the rest of the time, and craning my neck to see through the bottom of them wasn't going to work. The doctor writes a prescription for the most clarity at about arms length from me, and I get glasses with the whole lenses from that prescription.

Of course if I get up and walk around without switching glasses I can't see very well.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Put a picture up on your wall behind and above your monitors (or to the side).
Make it a picture of a valley or something similar. Basically lots of natural green and distance.

When you are feeling the eye strain, take a look at it for a minute or two.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am Put a picture up on your wall behind and above your monitors (or to the side).
Make it a picture of a valley or something similar. Basically lots of natural green and distance.

I got this from an eye doctor, the 20-20-20 rule.

Every 20 minutes look away from your monitors at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. It could be a lush green valley.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Wow, great info. I might compile this and send it to HR.

I've had computer specific glasses for last week and it's really made a huge difference. I'll look into the 20-20-20 rule and see what kind of a difference that makes.

The glasses alone makes it easier to see and like Glen mentioned I'm not craning my neck all day long trying to stare thru the bottom of my lenses. Not only can I see but now my neck isn't popping all day long either.
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

20-20-20 Rule Hang a few of these around your computer...
image.png
image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Glenn Schroeder

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am 20-20-20 Rule Hang a few of these around your computer...

image.png

image.png
John,

Those are both beautiful, but there's also a lot going on with both of them. If they were where I saw them often I'd probably have to start drinking earlier (especially the one on bottom).
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Roasted By John

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:46 am
Roasted By John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:37 am 20-20-20 Rule Hang a few of these around your computer...

image.png

image.png
John,

Those are both beautiful, but there's also a lot going on with both of them. If they were where I saw them often I'd probably have to start drinking earlier (especially the one on bottom).
No problem, I'll just sell you a few of these'es'esess

image.png
image.png (6.02 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Jaylin Hochstetler

Another tip:
Raise your monitors 6-8" so you are looking straight at or up towards your monitors.
Here is a pic of my workstation:
DSCF0308.JPG
Edit:
Stackable paper trays work great for this.
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:06 am Another tip:
Raise your monitors 6-8" so you are looking straight at or up towards your monitors.
Here is a pic of my workstation:
DSCF0308.JPG
Edit:
Stackable paper trays work great for this.
I used scrap wood and made some upside-down U-shaped stands for my monitors in order to raise them up. It is a big help, plus it makes the space under my monitors available for more clutter.
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Roasted By John

@Jaylin Hochstetler

Thank you for the tip - A really good Boss Prank.. It worked well, he came in and says "my monitor is pink, I knew it the monitor is really old and I need a new one", so he left his desk for about 10 minutes, I changed it back to normal, when he got back he hesitates looks at his screen and sits down, didn't say a thing... What's really funny is the simple fact that he talks like he is a Computer Guru, like way better then the average person, so once in a while we prank him, pretty easy to say that he is pretty clueless on Computer Settings...

Thanks Jaylin
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Jaylin Hochstetler

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:14 pm @Jaylin Hochstetler

Thank you for the tip - A really good Boss Prank.. It worked well, he came in and says "my monitor is pink, I knew it the monitor is really old and I need a new one", so he left his desk for about 10 minutes, I changed it back to normal, when he got back he hesitates looks at his screen and sits down, didn't say a thing... What's really funny is the simple fact that he talks like he is a Computer Guru, like way better then the average person, so once in a while we prank him, pretty easy to say that he is pretty clueless on Computer Settings...

Thanks Jaylin
Good one @Roasted By John! ;;

That's why I hit "Windows Key + L" when I leave my desk.
Roasted By John

What I really need is a program that would just flicker the screen randomly, that is what I really really really want..
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Jaylin Hochstetler

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm What I really need is a program that would just flicker the screen randomly, that is what I really really really want..
That would be hilarious!

You try this on him:
Switch the display orientation to Landscape (flipped). I can just imagine seeing him standing on the ceiling trying to read his screen.
2021-04-12 12_54_24-Window.jpg
2021-04-12 12_54_24-Window.jpg (6.51 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Roasted By John

That's too obvious ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Roasted By John wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:49 pm What I really need is a program that would just flicker the screen randomly, that is what I really really really want..
ThinkGeek Phantom Keystroker V2 is a product you may enjoy. ThinkGeek closed their shop, as I've heard, but their products are still available elsewhere.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

This post may give you a few ideas. (I am not responsible in any way for termination of your employment.)
2021-02-11 12_35_06.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

DennisD wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:11 am
dpihlaja wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am Put a picture up on your wall behind and above your monitors (or to the side).

I got this from an eye doctor, the 20-20-20 rule.

Every 20 minutes look away from your monitors at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. It could be a lush green valley.
The 20-20-20 rule is a good minimum, but I think it's best to do more - you want to focus on infinity - I go outside and smoke a ciggie :evil: but looking out a window would be good. I know this sounds a bit nuts but running on uneven ground (trail running) gives your eyes an amazing workout as you have to continually focus near/far. It's pumping iron for your eyes
Glenn Schroeder

Speaking of eye strain, a previous office manager here where I work had a custom mouse icon. Instead of the arrow it was a galloping horse, and its nose was the equivalent of the point of the conventional arrow. I guess she liked it, but that constant motion would drive me straight up the wall.

Roasted By John

Ok - I think I found a good one - go to settings/typing/advanced keyboard settings/language bar options/advanced key settings - To Turn off Caps Lock (Mark - Press the SHIFT Key)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Jim Steinmeyer

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

John,
If you want to play with your boss just pick up a wireless mouse and stick the dongle in a rear USB port of his machine. You can make his cursor move all on it's own for days, if you can keep from laughing.
Jim Steinmeyer

Unread post by Jim Steinmeyer »

I tried this and the monitors went to a red hue while I was adjusting it but went right back to the bright screen when I let go of the slider. :cry:
mike miller

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:58 pm John,
If you want to play with your boss just pick up a wireless mouse and stick the dongle in a rear USB port of his machine. You can make his cursor move all on it's own for days, if you can keep from laughing.
If you know someone who finger-types, try swapping two keys around. "M" and "N" work well for this.

It's really confusing for some people.......uh,so I've heard. :twisted:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mike miller

Looks like this could be a fun one. :lol: <()>
2021-04-12 17_14_09.jpg
Jaylin Hochstetler

Jim Steinmeyer wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:00 pm

I tried this and the monitors went to a red hue while I was adjusting it but went right back to the bright screen when I let go of the slider. :cry:
What was the schedule set at? If it was set to turn off at 6:00 AM and you were adjusting it at 7:00 AM it won't turn on till 7:00AM
I have mine set so it's on all the time except between 5:45 AM and 6:00 AM
2021-04-13 08_46_59-Window.jpg