Error, Replace Model made all lines hidden

Tom G
Answers: 0

Error, Replace Model made all lines hidden

Unread post by Tom G »

I have a Fabrication document with three sheets for details of three related steel skid bases within a system, where two smaller ones sit upon containments which sit upon the major base. The first sheet is the major base. One month ago, I had begun this drawing's sheet 1 only, set it down incomplete, and now am returning to the document to perpetuate sheet 2 and 3 to include subsystems. I believe that between these events, there were significant installation changes (Win7 -> Win10) although I am still using the same 2018 SP5 version with same settings applied.

I copied sheet 1 after current sheet, and renamed it sheet 2. The views' Display Style are Hidden Lines Visible, tangent edges removed. I replaced the single parent view's (with 3 children views) model with Replace Model. After doing this, the new model appeared entirely in hidden lines: not just the hidden edges, but also the foreground edges which should have been solid lines. Toggling display style to something else and back to HLV still kept the erroneous entirely hidden lines.

I have already moved on with a simple workaround: I deleted all the views and created a new Parent View with the correct model, and it and its subsequent children views all populated correctly. I have no erroneous file to share, because I already destroyed the error and proceeded with good views.

I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this before, and if there was some system option or such that caused this error, or if this may have been associated with upgrading my operating system to Windows 10 and reinstalling SWx in between the start of this drawing and today's expansion of it.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Re: Error, Replace Model made all lines hidden

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

The few times I tried to use "Replace Model" I was less than impressed with the results, and have abandoned it. Others may have better results.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

From my experience, "replace model" is only useful if you had previously done a "save as" on your model and now you want to use that new model in your drawing. In using save as, your geometry tags all stay the same. Then it will save most of the dimensions.

Any other use of it might save you 5 clicks or so because all of your dimensions are screwed....the number of clicks it takes to delete your views and recreate them.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

dpihlaja wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:57 pm From my experience, "replace model" is only useful if you had previously done a "save as" on your model and now you want to use that new model in your drawing. In using save as, your geometry tags all stay the same. Then it will save most of the dimensions.

Any other use of it might save you 5 clicks or so because all of your dimensions are screwed....the number of clicks it takes to delete your views and recreate them.
I use it routinely without the problem described above. This error was notably odd.

I set selection filter to dimensions, centerlines, and center marks then select all and delete. Move annotations, and proceed. @dpihlaja, I also use your tip about selecting one of these, center mark for example, then Select All will select all center marks for easy deletion.