Can we post PDFs of content from "the other place"?

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Can we post PDFs of content from "the other place"?

Unread post by mike miller »

[waffle] Once the solidworks.com domain is shut down, 3DSwyM will sink like a rock. [/waffle]

Even if it doesn't, all that great content will be locked out from Google and virtually lost in cyberspace. And that's providing it survives the move in the first place. (Can't you just hear them...."We're so sorry, but all of those posts somehow didn't make it over. It is truly unfortunate that negative remarks were lost as well.")

So my question is, what are the legal and practical guidelines for posting some of the really great threads over here? @Tom G has already posted a copy of the "Most Impressive Tricks" thread. Should we work on some others too? What about all of the FAQs?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Can we post PDFs of content from "the other place"?

Unread post by matt »

Solidworks Terms Of Use https://www.solidworks.com/terms-use#_g ... e82e4f8fce says you can download the material from the site for your own personal use but you can't display it publicly.

Here's what I recommend. If there is material you want to preserve, download it or save to pdf or whatever. Then write about it in your own words, and put it in our FAQ section.

Here's why I think that. As tempting as it is to just benefit from all that content, I'm an author, and I get annoyed when people take my stuff. And as one sided as corporate Terms of Use can be, I'd be pretty hypocritical to do that to them.

Plus, stuff taken straight off the forum is pretty raw and has a lot of superfluous junk.

And. I don't like accordion players, but I really hate lawyers. So we should probably take down that big pdf file. And I probably need to add another rule.

Now here's one for you. I screen captured the Terms Of Use. Does reposting that screen capture violate the Terms?
Screenshot_20210314-212856.png
mike miller

matt wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:53 pm Solidworks Terms Of Use https://www.solidworks.com/terms-use#_g ... e82e4f8fce says you can download the material from the site for your own personal use but you can't display it publicly.

Here's what I recommend. If there is material you want to preserve, download it or save to pdf or whatever. Then write about it in your own words, and put it in our FAQ section.

Here's why I think that. As tempting as it is to just benefit from all that content, I'm an author, and I get annoyed when people take my stuff. And as one sided as corporate Terms of Use can be, I'd be pretty hypocritical to do that to them.

Plus, stuff taken straight off the forum is pretty raw and has a lot of superfluous junk.

And. I don't like accordion players, but I really hate lawyers. So we should probably take down that big pdf file. And I probably need to add another rule.

Now here's one for you. I screen captured the Terms Of Use. Does reposting that screen capture violate the Terms?

Screenshot_20210314-212856.png
I'm downloading that one poste-haste! Will you have to ban me for that? :lol:
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

I considered implications that at the bottom of every page (50 out of 52 of which were cut off by me) has © 2014 DSS Corp. It was a hasty effort, and easily undone.

After posting that, I had also considered summarizing it into a table of contents type list. Now that effort would need some expanding upon.
mike miller

Tom G wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:31 am I considered implications that at the bottom of every page (50 out of 52 of which were cut off by me) has © 2014 DSS Corp. It was a hasty effort, and easily undone.

After posting that, I had also considered summarizing it into a table of contents type list. Now that effort would need some expanding upon.
@Tom G , how did you go about exporting those? Print to PDF only does one page at a time and they have to be merged later.....
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

Yes. Adobe Acrobat Pro merges them, allows me to delete chosen pages, redact copyright (JK) etc. I printed the thread to 52 PDFs and merged them.
Also, I was wrong about the View As Pdf action for multiple page threads. When you get to that, and select subsequent pages, the format reverts to default. So, you only get that sparse formatting in View As PDF for the first page of content. It comes out messy, but readable and referable.
mike miller

Okay, wait a second....what???
2021-03-15 10_41_55.jpg
I can't modify any of the material......isn't that what a forum is all about? That has got to refer to the solidworks.com domain with all the training materials, etc. I'm not disagreeing about posting it here, I just think it seems kind of strange........even for a lawyer. :roll:
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

@mike miller Mike, that screen shot is from the SW site, not this site. I'm not sure what they're talking about. Maybe they're just saying that you can't hack the site.
mike miller

matt wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:51 am @mike miller Mike, that screen shot is from the SW site, not this site. I'm not sure what they're talking about. Maybe they're just saying that you can't hack the site.
Yes, I realize that. I'm saying that I don't think it's for the forum.solidworks.com site. How can you participate on a SWX forum if you can't change any material?

Ah well, never underestimate a lawyer.