Exploded View Issues

Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Exploded View Issues

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I rarely use exploded views, but I did one today. I wouldn't be surprised if it was five years or longer since the last time.

It got tricky when working with the Drawing. First, I was trying to attach a note calling out a custom property to the components in the exploded view. Some of them attached just fine, but most of them didn't. I'd move my mouse all over it, but it wouldn't highlight or link to the note. I finally collapsed the view. That let me attach the notes just fine. I went back to the property manager, selected the collapsed view again, and the notes stayed linked and moved along with the components just fine. Problem solved.

Then I tried to add a dimension on a collapsed view. Similar problem. I could select edges or vertices on some components, but not on the others. I opened up the Assembly, and it was exploded. I collapsed it, went back to the Drawing, and dimensions worked fine.

Is this typical behavior for exploded views, or is it just one of those days?
by mike miller » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:48 pm
Are you on 2021?

2021 has a known bug with attaching balloons to exploded views (SPR 1211277). The workaround is to collapse the view, attach balloons and then re-explode the view.
Go to full post
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Exploded View Issues

Unread post by mike miller »

Are you on 2021?

2021 has a known bug with attaching balloons to exploded views (SPR 1211277). The workaround is to collapse the view, attach balloons and then re-explode the view.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Glenn Schroeder

mike miller wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:48 pm Are you on 2021?

You nailed it. I am on SW2021. It's comforting to know that this isn't one of those little tricks my computer plays on me to amuse itself.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Merovingien

Unread post by Merovingien »

this bug was already present in previous version of Bugidworks...
cncah
Answers: 0

Unread post by cncah »

I am able to do it if I open the model, activate the exploded view, Ctrl+Q, save, then go back to the drawing.
I have had the same issue with dimensions and notes when using different display states.
I have to open the model, activate that display state, Ctrl+Q, save, then go back to the drawing and it works. (Usually)
mbiasotti

Unread post by mbiasotti »

I love doing exploded views in drawings - especially with balloons and a BOM.
kawuser

Unread post by kawuser »

mbiasotti wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:36 pm I love doing exploded views in drawings - especially with balloons and a BOM.
Is this sarcasm :shock:
B-K

Unread post by B-K »

I have had the same problem attaching annotations to exploded views. One thing that sometimes solved the issue was to go into the assembly with the exploded view and make sure perspective was turned off. Save the assembly, and re-insert the exploded view to the drawing.
S.Casale

Unread post by S.Casale »

B-K wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 pm I have had the same problem attaching annotations to exploded views. One thing that sometimes solved the issue was to go into the assembly with the exploded view and make sure perspective was turned off. Save the assembly, and re-insert the exploded view to the drawing.
Did anyone else corroborate this as a workaround?
I know some things about how to do some things for the things that need to get did.
S.Casale

mike miller wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:48 pm 2021 has a known bug with attaching balloons to exploded views (SPR 1211277). The workaround is to collapse the view, attach balloons and then re-explode the view.
Hold on. Then how does one ever attach items that aren't visible on the outside of the assembly (without great effort)?
I know some things about how to do some things for the things that need to get did.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

S.Casale wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:59 pm Hold on. Then how does one ever attach items that aren't visible on the outside of the assembly (without great effort)?
With great effort.

Ever turned on wireframe in a large assembly? It looks like a drunk draftsman was working overtime. <()>

Fun, fun.
2021-06-09 14_14_54.jpg
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Glenn Schroeder

S.Casale wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:59 pm Hold on. Then how does one ever attach items that aren't visible on the outside of the assembly (without great effort)?
One option would be to find the part in the tree, right-click, and choose "Show hidden edges". Of course on complex Assemblies finding that in the tree may be a non-trivial exercise.

S.Casale

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:26 pm One option would be to find the part in the tree, right-click, and choose "Show hidden edges". Of course on complex Assemblies finding that in the tree may be a non-trivial exercise.
Not wanting to do that work around. We have a ten pounds of parts in a 1 pound box.
Glenn Schroeder

S.Casale wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:44 pm Not wanting to do that work around. We have a ten pounds of parts in a 1 pound box.
I replied to this quote in the other Discussion. How do you do it in SE, assuming it has an easier method?

Jaylin Hochstetler
Answers: 4

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:21 pm I replied to this quote in the other Discussion. How do you do it in SE, assuming it has an easier method?
In SE the auto balloon actually works! The auto explode also is quite impressive!

Attached is a video where I assemble a part, create an exploded view, create a drawing view, BOM and auto balloon it.

FYI I'm new to SE so the video is a little lengthy.
Attachments
SE Exploded views video.zip
(24.22 MiB) Downloaded 104 times
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:08 pm In SE the auto balloon actually works! The auto explode also is quite impressive!
Attached is a video where I assemble a part, create an exploded view, create a drawing view, BOM and auto balloon it.
FYI I'm new to SE so the video is a little lengthy.
SE? i'm sorry but why does that apply to my problem?
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Ben wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm SE? i'm sorry but why does that apply to my problem?
Because he was replying to someone who asked how to do it in SE.
And also....what problem are you referring to? You didn't ask any questions in this post.....and even if you did.....it was Glenn's post.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
Jaylin Hochstetler

Ben wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:00 pm SE? i'm sorry but why does that apply to my problem?
See below.
dpihlaja wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:23 am Because he was replying to someone who asked how to do it in SE.
And also....what problem are you referring to? You didn't ask any questions in this post.....and even if you did.....it was Glenn's post.
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:33 pm See below.
ooops i thought i was in the thread i made. my bad
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

Ben wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:47 pm ooops i thought i was in the thread i made. my bad
No issues! I apologize for what (I read now) to be a terse tone when I replied to you. I was flabbergasted. :)
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

BTW,.. has anyone seen (macro or other?) or want a Spherical Explode?
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Jaylin Hochstetler

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:22 pm I rarely use exploded views, but I did one today. I wouldn't be surprised if it was five years or longer since the last time.

It got tricky when working with the Drawing. First, I was trying to attach a note calling out a custom property to the components in the exploded view. Some of them attached just fine, but most of them didn't. I'd move my mouse all over it, but it wouldn't highlight or link to the note. I finally collapsed the view. That let me attach the notes just fine. I went back to the property manager, selected the collapsed view again, and the notes stayed linked and moved along with the components just fine. Problem solved.

Then I tried to add a dimension on a collapsed view. Similar problem. I could select edges or vertices on some components, but not on the others. I opened up the Assembly, and it was exploded. I collapsed it, went back to the Drawing, and dimensions worked fine.

Is this typical behavior for exploded views, or is it just one of those days?
BTW, I confirmed this was fixed in SP4.1.
Kwetla

Unread post by Kwetla »

I was having this issue in Solidworks 2017 where it wouldn't let me add balloons to a model for which i had created a custom view. I couldn't select some of the part surfaces, and in some cases the selectable surfaces were phantom ones floating in space.

One fix was to not use custom views - using the Isometric view seemed to solve it.
Another fix was so save your custom view as one of the standard views, i.e save your view as the 'front' view, and then use the 'front' view in your drawing. This seemed to work fine, but meant that the standard views were all messed up when viewing the CAD in future.

One final fix was to make sure that you hadn't scaled your drawing view to anything custom. Instead, scale your drawing using the sheet scale, and set your drawing view to match the sheet scale. This fixed it for some reason... :roll: