Sharpening machines

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
MarkMorreale
Answers: 0

Sharpening machines

Unread post by MarkMorreale »

Hey everyone!

I have a couple of sets of planer blades that need sharpening which set me back ~$75 CDN to get properly sharpened a few years ago. And the last time I had a (distanced) garage visit with my dad he was getting frustrated using his ancient craftsman jointer with blades that I'm fairly certain haven't been sharpened since the '80s. And I've got a drawer full of wood & cold chisels that have seen better days but could be brought back to productive life with a bit of attention.

To that end, over the past few weeks I've been shopping around for a wet sharpening wheel. In a perfect world (ie one where budget was less constrained for hobby work) I'd pick up a Tormek T4 or T8.. but the knockoffs on the market go for 25 -50% of the cost.

Anyone here have direct experiences with the knockoffs (by Wen, King Canada, Mastercraft, Grizzly, etc) vs the tormeks? Are the tormeks worth the extra cost in the long term?

Thanks!
M
Rob
Answers: 2

Re: Sharpening machines

Unread post by Rob »

image.png
I bought my first Tormek about 16 years ago, then we picked up another on e-bay with all the jigs pretty cheap.

They've been used every day by all of us and run and run and run.

The problem with Tormeks is they cheap out on the honing wheel (it's plastic and is egg shaped) and the bushings for the jigs (again plastic and wear really quick)

I've replaced the leather wheels once and we got a new water tray - break easy if thrown in a van!

I upgraded the tool guide (you can see the original fitted in the upright position) and created the double sided ones - it saves a lot of time not having to move it every time.

We also upgraded the jig bushings to olite which is great.

The major problem with Tormeks is if someone leaves the stone in the water; as if used when half wet it will become an egg and require trueing.
This takes time and wastes your stone.

If you are pricing one up you need to include at least the diamond truing jig - as you will need one soon enough.

With all that said we only use it for hand plane irons, chisels and scrapers.

We send our planer/thicknesser knives away for professional sharpening.

My personal view is I don't think the Tormek is good enough for your planer knives - How long are they? - I mean maybe you could do it - I did our guillotine knives once when I was in a bind.

If you use your tools to make a living they are a fantastic investment - first thing I bought when I started up by myself.

I've never used anything else so I can't help with the alternatives but I can recommend Tormeks as being bomber enough to make buying second hand a safe option.

edit
We don't have one but there is a planer knife jig
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:37 am <snip out of context>

My personal view is I don't think the Tormek is good enough for your planer knives - How long are they? - I mean maybe you could do it - I did our guillotine knives once when I was in a bind.

<snip>
:o British Revolution?? ;; ;;
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

mike miller wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:49 am :o British Revolution?? ;; ;;
Yeah, that stuck out to me too...Rob's not only a master woodworker, he apparently handles beheadings, too...Who knew?...