Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:45 am That's pretty friggin' awesome. I bring cookies every thursday for my department, makes people happy and doesn't cost much.

Haven't brought any since COVID though, the ridiculousness is still going on in Canada.
Make some negative cookies.
Tony Tieuli
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tony Tieuli »

I think we should allow folks to put gasoline in plastic bags!
We need to give natural selection a chance to work people!
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:45 am That's pretty friggin' awesome. I bring cookies every thursday for my department, makes people happy and doesn't cost much.

Haven't brought any since COVID though, the ridiculousness is still going on in Canada.
Early on in the Covid thing someone brought in some goodies for their birthday. First time EVER in anyplace that I have worked where at the end of the day most of the stuff was still there. It's usually 1/4 of a donut left because no one wants to take the last piece.

I think for the most people around here we are over that and a box of anything you better get yours early or else they're gone.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

MJuric wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 pm Early on in the Covid thing someone brought in some goodies for their birthday. First time EVER in anyplace that I have worked where at the end of the day most of the stuff was still there. It's usually 1/4 of a donut left because no one wants to take the last piece.

I think for the most people around here we are over that and a box of anything you better get yours early or else they're gone.
Most people never stopped wanting the cookies, I only stopped to not put the company in trouble with health officials.
SamSpade
Answers: 2

Unread post by SamSpade »

MJuric wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:51 pm Early on in the Covid thing someone brought in some goodies for their birthday. First time EVER in anyplace that I have worked where at the end of the day most of the stuff was still there. It's usually 1/4 of a donut left because no one wants to take the last piece.

You're lucky to get a sniff where I work. I recall one of our guys taking a day off awhile back. He somehow got word that there would free donuts that morning, So he purposely came in just to get a donut and then promptly left.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky
AlexLachance

SamSpade wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:09 pm You're lucky to get a sniff where I work. I recall one of our guys taking a day off awhile back. He somehow got word that there would free donuts that morning, So he purposely came in just to get a donut and then promptly left.
Haha I too have seen that happen when it's something special being brought in, like donuts. :lol:
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Tony Tieuli wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm I think we should allow folks to put gasoline in plastic bags!
If folks would just start wearing plastic bags over their heads we could accomplish several goals. 1) No chance of them contracting COVID. 2) Fewer idiots.

;; ;;
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

About 3 years ago someone brought in some treats right before Christmas break. I don't know if it was related, but I spent several days that Christmas sick in bed. To add insult to injury, when we came back to work after christmas we found out that some other candy in the breakroom was recalled due to possible hepatitis contamination. We also have some people around here who don't think it is necessary to wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

After all of that, I'll pass on any community break room food. If I want a donut I'll spend the $2 and buy one myself.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

well, looky there,..tomorrow is Friday! :D
Attachments
jcuzee.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Tony Tieuli wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:44 pm I think we should allow folks to put gasoline in plastic bags!
They need the gas in bags so it's easier to burn the Toilet Paper they horded last year. Natural selection is all about the Darwin Awards, just don't make the list people.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Roasted By John

SPerman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:22 pm About 3 years ago someone brought in some treats right before Christmas break. I don't know if it was related, but I spent several days that Christmas sick in bed. To add insult to injury, when we came back to work after christmas we found out that some other candy in the breakroom was recalled due to possible hepatitis contamination. We also have some people around here who don't think it is necessary to wash their hands after going to the bathroom.

After all of that, I'll pass on any community break room food. If I want a donut I'll spend the $2 and buy one myself.
Sitting through the ServeSafe course made me almost want to avoid anything made outside of our house. The highest percentage of Food Borne Illnesses is from feces, so wash your hands well when you take a crap.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law

Put 70% alcohol on everything you eat.
phealy_lssi

Unread post by phealy_lssi »

Frederick_Law wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 am Put 70% alcohol on everything you eat.
We could always just skip the eating part and drink the alcohol.
Patrick Healy | IT Contractor
"Per my last email..."
AlexLachance

phealy_lssi wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:59 am We could always just skip the eating part and drink the alcohol.
I like the way you think :lol:
AlexLachance

Good morning KD!

Another beautiful week is starting, the sun is shining bright, the hot weather is back and summer is on it's way.

Next monday I'll be off because of a holiday, and the week after I'll be offline the entire week, as I'll be on a fishing trip up north with a bunch of friends. I'm eager for this.

Hope everyone has a good one. Keep the chin up and look forward!
mike miller

This is where I was Saturday.
2021-05-17 11_49_07.jpg
Tawas Point; just outside of Tawas, MI.

It's one of the top spots on the continent for warbler migration. It was an off day, we only got 17 species. Next weekend should be better.:D But hey, there were a lot of other birds there too. (And people.... :x )

If you hit the right weekend in May, that little spit of land is literally crawling with birds. >< ><
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

mike miller wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 am This is where I was Saturday.

2021-05-17 11_49_07.jpg

Tawas Point; just outside of Tawas, MI.

It's one of the top spots on the continent for warbler migration. It was an off day, we only got 17 species. Next weekend should be better.:D But hey, there were a lot of other birds there too. (And people.... :x )

If you hit the right weekend in May, that little spit of land is literally crawling with birds. >< ><
What's the full story here?... You can't just leave us hanging... How'd you cook them and did it turn out good?
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:06 pm What's the full story here?... You can't just leave us hanging... How'd you cook them and did it turn out good?
Well, they're only 5 inches from bill to tip of tail. It's kind of awkward to grill them because if you sneeze they all disappear....

Seriously, I enjoy hunting....but I try to stay legal at least most of the time.... ()
SamSpade

zxys001 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:56 pm well, looky there,..tomorrow is Friday! :D
Add some salt, herbs and spices and you can market those birds as pre-brined / pre-marinated ;)
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

..anyone get this carrot marketing email yet?
Attachments
wow 1.png
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Frederick_Law

Trashed
AlexLachance

zxys001 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm ..anyone get this carrot marketing email yet?
I like how there's no mention of what the upgrade consists of.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:29 pm I like how there's no mention of what the upgrade consists of.
Isn't it obvious...The upgrade is to ALL CAPS....
Frederick_Law

AlexLachance wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:29 pm I like how there's no mention of what the upgrade consists of.
You see it if you got the email .....
UU
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

My wife and I, our daughter, son, daughter-in-law, grandson, and my sister left last Thursday for Crystal Beach on the Bolivar Peninsula to celebrate me turning 60, and we got home this afternoon. We rented a house right on the beach, anticipating a quiet, peaceful, relaxing time. We had a good time, but those three adjectives, especially the first two, didn't exactly describe it.

We didn't know it was "Jeep Go Topless Weekend". The name refers to taking the tops off the Jeeps, but that's not the only tops that were coming off. It was not a family friendly atmosphere. There were hundreds of vehicles, ranging from mopeds to monster trucks, driving up and down the beach, with many of them blaring rap music.

Since were right on the water we had front row seats on our balcony. We saw one fight, one side-by-side utility vehicle roll-over, and I don't know how many Mardi Gras type beads handed out.

Sunday morning it was pretty much all over, but there was an abundance of evidence remaining. From our balcony we could see 5 or 6 vehicles that had been parked on the beach Saturday evening when the tide was low, but had waves washing up around them by mid-morning. By noon they had all been at least moved up above the high tide mark, but one of them was still there today with the top off, and it rained most of yesterday. We speculated that the owner is still in jail.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jayar

Unread post by jayar »

Ömür Tokman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:06 pm Young people today announced the green card results. I cannot login because the site is very busy. I am waiting for your prayers.
@matt
@mattpeneguy
@Glenn Schroeder
@Rob
@AlexLachance
@Frederick_Law
@dpihlaja
@Tom G
@Roasted By John
etc... Please.
Sorry it didn't happen this year. Keep the faith and keep trying. Remember, people are still trying to get IN to the U.S. for good reasons - the door is always open for people to leave but the complainers don't seem to want to.
mike miller

jayar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:27 am Sorry it didn't happen this year. Keep the faith and keep trying. Remember, people are still trying to get IN to the U.S. for good reasons - the door is always open for people to leave but the complainers don't seem to want to.
Too bad we can't swap some folks around. We'll take all the people like Omur who bring value and kick out all who hate their own country..... **
AlexLachance

Truely amazing/mind blowing to see this kind of progress:
Roasted By John

image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mike miller

Roasted By John wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm image.png
"There are no cougars in Michigan." -Michigan DNR circa 2015

They quit saying that lately because they realized no one can be fined for shooting a nonexistent animal. ;; ;;
Roasted By John

That guy was one of the many that broke into the Capital Building, he is a convicted felon, so he shot the cougar illegally.
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
AlexLachance

Let's be honest though, that's one friggin' huge cougar!
SamSpade

Roasted By John wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:53 pm That guy was one of the many that broke into the White House, he is a convicted felon, so he shot the cougar illegally.
Now, why would someone want to shoot that 'sweet little puddy tat'? From what I've heard cougars rarely attack humans.

Here in Canada, in designated zones, for a few months out of the year, and only if you're a holder of the appropriate hunting license are you permitted to kill one of these cats. Don't know how edible the meat is, but then again how bad can it be, it's meat.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Roasted By John wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:53 pm That guy was one of the many that broke into the White House, he is a convicted felon, so he shot the cougar illegally.
I think you mean the capital building.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

SamSpade wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:41 pm From what I've heard cougars rarely attack humans.
That's because all the ones that are attacked are disappeared so completely that no one knows they were actually attacked by a massive cat. Everyone just assumes they went for a walk and got lost or something.
Roasted By John

SPerman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:44 pm I think you mean the capital building.

That's right SPerman
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
AlexLachance

SamSpade wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:41 pm Now, why would someone want to shoot that 'sweet little puddy tat'? From what I've heard cougars rarely attack humans.

Here in Canada, in designated zones, for a few months out of the year, and only if you're a holder of the appropriate hunting license are you permitted to kill one of these cats. Don't know how edible the meat is, but then again how bad can it be, it's meat.
Are you speaking of lynxes? I don't think I've ever seen a cougar of my life up here, they must be pretty rare.

I've had some wild wildlife encounters lol
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:27 pm Are you speaking of lynxes? I don't think I've ever seen a cougar of my life up here, they must be pretty rare.

Not Nearly as much meat on a Canadian Lynx.
image.png
AlexLachance

MJuric wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:40 pm Not Nearly as much meat on a Canadian Lynx.
image.png
Indeed, and they really look more like a cat then a mini-lion.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:46 pm Indeed, and they really look more like a cat then a mini-lion.
I still wouldn't want a 20lb wild cat coming after me. I had a friend who got accidentally mauled by his house cat because it got scared by a dog and decided to climb up his leg, chest and face then dug in on the top if his head.
mattpeneguy

MJuric wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:53 pm That's because all the ones that are attacked are disappeared so completely that no one knows they were actually attacked by a massive cat. Everyone just assumes they went for a walk and got lost or something.
That goes along with my theory that you never hear about the dolphins that drag people out from shore instead of bringing them back to safety...I've got my suspicions about those dolphins...

Don't get me started on my theory that Rylan Givens on Justified was a serial killer...Story was always told from his perspective, and there were usually no witnesses...But how many deaths do you have to be involved in before people catch on...And how many other US Marshals are ever involved in an armed confrontation in their entire career?...Seems pretty clear to me...Just sayin'
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 4:27 pm Are you speaking of lynxes? I don't think I've ever seen a cougar of my life up here, they must be pretty rare.

Alex,
You may never see them, but they may see you. They are predators, that's how they survive. I had a friend tell me about how he'd gone fly fishing in Colorado (I think that's where, I could be wrong) on the way back to the car he noticed cougar tracks along the path he took, it'd followed him. Freaked him out a bit, but he never saw the cougar.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:13 pm Alex,
You may never see them, but they may see you. They are predators, that's how they survive. I had a friend tell me about how he'd gone fly fishing in Colorado (I think that's where, I could be wrong) on the way back to the car he noticed cougar tracks along the path he took, it'd followed him. Freaked him out a bit, but he never saw the cougar.
Was it this guy?
mike miller

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:13 pm Alex,
That's why you should always take a slower friend along. ;;
SamSpade

Very true, I've never seen or heard of sightings any in our area, here in Quebec. Although, I've heard of sightings of these types of cats in the western part of the country. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be near one.
SamSpade

SPerman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:44 pm I think you mean the capital building.
I think you mean the Capitol building :D
mattpeneguy

Guys, it's not just wildlife you need to be worried about.
image.png
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Interesting term I learned today, Diminished Reality (about). This is basically the opposite of Augmented Reality. AR adds things to visual inputs in view. DR removes things from visual inputs in view. Its use cases seem fairly narrow. Neat stuff.

From the linked interview, there was this odd typo:
With standard AR, it would be possible to place in the hotel, but if the new design doesn’t fully cover the old structure, a lot of the ascetics are lost.
Aesthetics is the intended word. Ascetics are people who self-discipline & abstain from physical pleasure.
mattpeneguy

Tom G wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:34 am Interesting term I learned today, Diminished Reality (about). This is basically the opposite of Augmented Reality. AR adds things to visual inputs in view. DR removes things from visual inputs in view. Its use cases seem fairly narrow. Neat stuff.

From the linked interview, there was this odd typo:
"With standard AR, it would be possible to place in the hotel, but if the new design doesn’t fully cover the old structure, a lot of the ascetics are lost."
Aesthetics is the intended word. Ascetics are people who self-discipline & abstain from physical pleasure.
I don't know, upon reading it again, maybe it wasn't a typo...
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

SamSpade wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:42 am I think you mean the Capitol building :D
[swamp]
I THINK YOU MEAN THE CAPITOL BUILDING.
[/swamp]
-