How to use BBcode.

Look here for announcements.
mike miller
Answers: 7

How to use BBcode.

Unread post by mike miller »

If you haven't noticed, clicking on a formatting icon adds bracketed codes that format the enclosed text.

For example, clicking on "B" for bold creates this: [b]text-in-here-becomes-bold[/b]. (I disabled BBcode in this message so the code is visible.)
Italics: [i]sample[/i]
Quoting someone else: [quote]sample[/quote]
Sarcasm (yep, that's what the "sarc" means): [sarc]sample[/sarc]
Uber sarcasm (yes, we need it): [usarc]sample[/usarc]

You will notice that BBcode requires a "/" inside the ending code. If this is missing, the formatting will not work and the beginning code will be visible. This is why many new users have difficulty quoting someone when they remove some of the quoted text; they remove an ending code with it.

Now for a tip: when adding a URL, this is usually what you see: [url]https://www.cadforum.net/[/url]

However, you can make the hyperlink display anything you want (Matt's sandbox in this case) using this code:

[url=https://www.cadforum.net/] Matt's sandbox [/url]
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mike miller

Re: How to use BBcode.

Now here is the same message with BBcode turned on:

If you haven't noticed, clicking on a formatting icon adds bracketed codes that format the enclosed text.

For example, clicking on "B" for bold creates this: text-in-here-becomes-bold. (I disabled BBcode in this message so the code is visible.)
Italics: sample
Quoting someone else:
sample
Sarcasm (yep, that's what the "sarc" means): sample
Uber sarcasm (yes, we need it): sample

You will notice that BBcode requires a "/" inside the ending code. If this is missing, the formatting will not work and the beginning code will be visible. This is why many new users have difficulty quoting someone when they remove some of the quoted text; they remove an ending code with it.

Now for a tip: when adding a URL, this is usually what you see: https://www.cadforum.net/

However, you can make the hyperlink display anything you want (Matt's sandbox in this case) using this code:

Matt's sandbox
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
mike miller

Here is a helpful page that explains BBcode in much greater detail: app.php/help/bbcode#f4r0

I wonder if @matt wrote it. It sounds like him... :lol:
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

mike miller wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:19 pm Here is a helpful page that explains BBcode in much greater detail: app.php/help/bbcode#f4r0

I wonder if @matt wrote it. It sounds like him... :lol:
Oh, you mean, condescending and preachy? nah, that wasn't me. Plus, I have no idea how to use bbcode other than to copy the examples. Thanks for linking to that, though.