Face Mill Start Point.

Toolpaths, cutters, schemes, software. hardware, etc.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Face Mill Start Point.

Unread post by MJuric »

So I've sent this into my VAR already and their answer was "Can't be done"

So I created a face feature and places a face mill path on it. The start point it chose was at the opposite corner of where I wanted to start. I could not find a way to start in the opposite corner so I sent it to support and got the above answer.

This seems like a VERY basic function and should be relatively easy so it seems like there should definitely be a way to do it. I've done it for years in other software in multiple different ways often times just changing the normal direction of something.

In this case CAMWorks threw the startpoint in the lower right, I want to be in the upper left. Both are climb cutting.
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Face Mill Start Point.

Unread post by mike miller »

That is an absurd way for a CAM program to work. In MasterCAM or even (shudder) F360, you can specify all of that with a few clicks. Start points and strategies are the most basic of CAM functionality..... <()>

I never understood why SWX CAM has to be so complicated and yet so feeble. [/rant]
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Tim R. Halvorsen
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tim R. Halvorsen »

Hi MJuric

Please have a look at this short video where I explain how to do this.
This is REALLY easy.... As most of SOLIDWORKS CAM/CAMWorks is.

MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Tim R. Halvorsen wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:30 am Hi MJuric

Please have a look at this short video where I explain how to do this.
This is REALLY easy.... As most of SOLIDWORKS CAM/CAMWorks is.

Thanks for the help. I probably should have followed up on this one but forgot. I had sent this very thing into my VAR and the first response was "No way to do that", which was a bit shocking to me so I posted the issue here. By the end of the day the VAR responded again apologizing and came up with the same solution you did.

I was used to using Surfcam where you just click near whatever end you wanted to start at and it started there so couldn't figure out how to make that happen here.

Thanks again.