Mesh data

Talk about your favorite subD and mesh tools
matt
Answers: 18

Mesh data

Unread post by matt »

How often do you use mesh data, and how often would you use it if you had better tools to work with it?

- 3d scan
- CGI / AR data
- 3D print data
- MRI, CAT medical scan data
- subd type models
FMAAID
Answers: 0

Re: Mesh data

Unread post by FMAAID »

All of my work is based around 3d scan data. Most of the aircraft have organic shapes inside the cabin that make standard geometric design very time consuming and difficult, on top of that aircraft manufacturers do not share cad data with us.
We also use 3d scan to create new seat covers for the aircraft, that uses solidworks and exactflat plugin. The other parts I create are floors( carpet and vinyl) side panel covers, and any cabinets that need refinishing. Everything is cut on our cnc machine that is 104"x256".
I also reverse engineer plastic parts on the interior of aircraft that can be replaced. We then 3d print all of the parts in polycarb.
The last thing I use the 3d scanner for is our renderings for prospective customers or customers approval on current work.

The limiting factor in my workflow is SW, however I am looking for a solution that is a mesh to surfacing software.

I have worked on 757's, A321neo's, Airbus helicopters, Bell helicopters, Uh-60 blackhawk's, VH-60 Presidental Helicopter has our interior.
Attachments
757.png
IMG_2096.JPG
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:46 pm How often do you use mesh data, and how often would you use it if you had better tools to work with it?

- 3d scan
- CGI / AR data
- 3D print data
- subd type models
..no less than 50%,

3Dprinting
Rendering
Scan data/Conversion
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

matt wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:46 pm How often do you use mesh data, and how often would you use it if you had better tools to work with it?

- 3d scan
- CGI / AR data
- 3D print data
- subd type models
Rarely but whenever I do I find it to be a PIA.

I just surveyed my back yard. I wanted topography of it so I could figure the best way to deal with water run off. Seemed like I had to jump thru 100 hoops just to get a simple surface like I wanted.

granted I'm not expert with the ScanTo3D in SW, but I found it to not be able to get it to be what I wanted compared to importing the points and drawing splines/Guide Curves and lofting. The surface generated by the utility seemed "generic" because it weighted the spline form heavily or you were left with a gludgy mesh of triangles. Again there's probably a "fix" for this in there somewhere but the other method worked.
FMAAID

Unread post by FMAAID »

my take on SW scan to 3d is like using tinkercad after 15 years of only using SW. Unless I am missing something?

I looked at all the SW documentation and there is not much , http://help.solidworks.com/2020/English ... erview.htm
matt

Unread post by matt »

FMAAID wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:41 am my take on SW scan to 3d is like using tinkercad after 15 years of only using SW. Unless I am missing something?

I looked at all the SW documentation and there is not much , http://help.solidworks.com/2020/English ... erview.htm
I've done a couple projects with it, and it's terrible. It's slow, and doesn't even do that much. I wind up doing it mostly by hand anyway. It hasn't improved much in the last 10 years.
Arthur NY

Unread post by Arthur NY »

I guess mainly because I've been working with 3D scanned data and DCC/VFX software for so long it feels just as comfortable to work with mesh data as it does with BREP/NURBS. BUT I do also see why a good portion of CAD users have a misunderstanding of mesh data and what can be done with it or even what software to do it in.

First - Specifically Solidworks didn't help with users importing a mesh because it would default to being a graphics body and for good reason, that a heavy mesh would grind it to a halt. Second - Scan2 3D was initially only offered in the Solidworks Premium for which NO ONE would want to pay the extra $4K just for that functionality. So since no one used it development of it was next to nil.

Fast Forward to today and Siemens has up stepped up their kernal to now work with meshes and SubD geometry. So in Solidworks there is now the whole BREP Mesh geometry that's kind of a hybrid but is still a far cry from other mesh software like Geomagic Wrap and Design X.

All that said taking a look at software like MeshLab, free and open source, is a great starting point to work with point cloud/mesh data before even importing into most CAD softwares. Rhino 3D offers a lot of great tools for working with, repairing, and converting to Polysurfaces. If looking to a paid solution Mesh2surface or Cyborg3D are to very decent middle ground solutions.

I'll also add the zBrush is AMAZING.....probably better than most when it comes to dealing with, decimating down, and exporting mesh data. While not meant for reverse engineering it can help with converting a Triangle Mesh (.STL) to a QuadMesh (.obj) which is always easier to convert to a BREP for CAD softwares. To also help round things out, Mesh Mixer, UnReal, and Blender are also viable alternative softwares that can help with working with mesh data in varying degrees.
matt

Unread post by matt »

Arthur NY wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:48 am I guess mainly because I've been working with 3D scanned data and DCC/VFX software for so long it feels just as comfortable to work with mesh data as it does with BREP/NURBS. BUT I do also see why a good portion of CAD users have a misunderstanding of mesh data and what can be done with it or even what software to do it in.

First - Specifically Solidworks didn't help with users importing a mesh because it would default to being a graphics body and for good reason, that a heavy mesh would grind it to a halt. Second - Scan2 3D was initially only offered in the Solidworks Premium for which NO ONE would want to pay the extra $4K just for that functionality. So since no one used it development of it was next to nil.

Fast Forward to today and Siemens has up stepped up their kernal to now work with meshes and SubD geometry. So in Solidworks there is now the whole BREP Mesh geometry that's kind of a hybrid but is still a far cry from other mesh software like Geomagic Wrap and Design X.

All that said taking a look at software like MeshLab, free and open source, is a great starting point to work with point cloud/mesh data before even importing into most CAD softwares. Rhino 3D offers a lot of great tools for working with, repairing, and converting to Polysurfaces. If looking to a paid solution Mesh2surface or Cyborg3D are to very decent middle ground solutions.

I'll also add the zBrush is AMAZING.....probably better than most when it comes to dealing with, decimating down, and exporting mesh data. While not meant for reverse engineering it can help with converting a Triangle Mesh (.STL) to a QuadMesh (.obj) which is always easier to convert to a BREP for CAD softwares. To also help round things out, Mesh Mixer, UnReal, and Blender are also viable alternative softwares that can help with working with mesh data in varying degrees.
I really think that mesh/subd is going to continue to build its foothold in product design. History-based surfacing is really a waste of time, because the heavier the surfacing, the less the history and parametrics work. You can spend a lot of time pushing "design intent" type ideas in history software, and what you're doing is learning to manage the software, you're not really putting thought into your design at that point, so the tools are detracting from the result in a way. Fixing lost references doesn't help the product, the design, doesn't help develop your career or design skills, or make you a better person, etc. It's just a waste of time.
FMAAID

Unread post by FMAAID »

The biggest thing I think about is if I did not have a 3d scanner then how would I recreate the seat parts which are not flat and have organic shapes.
I was kinda amazed by geomagic"s Designx software and what it can do with mesh data. In the demo designx pumped out a surface from mesh in 30 minutes. I think he used the shrinkwrap tool. The $20k price is way over priced imo, and out of my jobs reach.

I have to take a look at cyborg3d I do not think I have demoed that yet.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

Arthur NY wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:48 am I guess mainly because I've been working with 3D scanned data and DCC/VFX software for so long it feels just as comfortable to work with mesh data as it does with BREP/NURBS. BUT I do also see why a good portion of CAD users have a misunderstanding of mesh data and what can be done with it or even what software to do it in.

Well said!
I'd add Blender as well.
https://cgcookie.com/articles/using-ble ... uick-guide
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau