Looking at what I could make myself and learn.

zxys001
Answers: 4

Looking at what I could make myself and learn.

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hello All,.. when I first started in design I had intended to get into Robotics.. but went another direction, consumer design (surfacing).. lately I've been watching some videos and looking at what I could make myself and learn.
So, for starters, there are a few I'm considering:

For a more advanced arm,.. the AR3 and ROS,.. after I get better?
https://www.anninrobotics.com

And, much later... maybe a quadruped..?
..learning -
..and, if I can... this..? https://hackaday.io/project/171456-diy- ... uped-robot

Any thoughts, suggestions are welcome. :D
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
matt
Answers: 18

Re: Looking at what I could make myself and learn.

Unread post by matt »

You could use the robot to position a faro arm sort of thing to collect data around a large object. Like walk around a car and collect points. So it would use both using data to position itself and then collecting data to give back to you in the form of a point cloud scan of the object, which you could then 3D print.

Or a robot to take out the trash. Paint a circle in the drive way and tell it to put the can in the circle.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

matt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:51 pm You could use the robot to position a faro arm sort of thing to collect data around a large object. Like walk around a car and collect points. So it would use both using data to position itself and then collecting data to give back to you in the form of a point cloud scan of the object, which you could then 3D print.

Or a robot to take out the trash. Paint a circle in the drive way and tell it to put the can in the circle.
How many circles do you have on your driveway, Matt? :o :D
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

@zxys001 You can start with feeding the dog.

I think that dog food came out of the can a little too easy.
Jason
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

You can start with a 3D printed robot.
Basically same components as a 3D printer.
You can use the robot to 3D print a better robot.

I took robotic in high school. Play with Festo PLC and pneumatic.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

I don't want a robot at my house. I already have a wife and two dogs that don't listen to me.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

resistance is futile
Rob
Answers: 2

Unread post by Rob »

I watched this video about 8 years ago and gave myself a 10 year plan to get one..
I think I'm still 10 years away lol

image.png
FMAAID
Answers: 0

Unread post by FMAAID »

Wow that welding robot would make a great 3d printer with actual 3 axis printing instead of what we have now which is 2+1 axis printing.

I have one in the works that is a 400mm 3d printer, a miller dynasty power source with a wire feed tig attachment.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

Rob wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:55 am I watched this video about 8 years ago and gave myself a 10 year plan to get one..
I think I'm still 10 years away lol
Over the years I've quoted at least a dozen projects that would incorporate robots and have not gotten a single one of them. In my experience it is the rare case that a robot makes more sense than a significant less expensive combination of other systems.

Where I find robots "Fit" are in situations that contain complex movements with relatively low loads in situations where complexity of reach and motion are changed enough that other less adaptive machines would not be able to fit.

For instance if I owned a company that was making a lot of the things you showed, even if they were different sizes, shapes etc I'd probably look at a 5-6 axis gantry CNC that would have cut that in a quarter of the time probably.

That being said I'll be going to a Robot conference a week from today. We are looking at outfitting some of our manufacturing cells with robots, which is not a bad fit. Load and unload 3-4 CNC machines that are doing multiple sizes on multiple holding fixtures etc...you know, replacing humans kinda stuff :D