What would you do with mesh data if you had the tools?

Talk about your favorite subD and mesh tools
matt
Answers: 18

What would you do with mesh data if you had the tools?

Unread post by matt »

I'm trying to get engineers to use a little imagination about what they would do with mesh data if they had the tools to work with it?

- Would you NURBS surface scanned data?
- edit existing stl or obj models?
- geometrically edit FEA meshes?
- work with medical MRI and CAT scan data to make products?
- something else?
Arthur NY
Answers: 0

Re: What would you do with mesh data if you had the tools?

Unread post by Arthur NY »

I can tell you this one is really all over the map/spectrum in terms of where the data is coming from, how it is processed, is the intent on the other side for inspection, 3D modeling, 3D printing...etc. One could write a book about this subject and have more than enough to keep you busy for years!!!

Take for example the term topology optimization....in the engineering world means one thing but in the visual effects industry means something quite different. One is meant for reducing materials needed for metal 3D printing and making a part as strong and lite as possible. In the other it's specifically about edge flow so that say when animating a face for a game/movie the mouth, eyes, etc will look correct. The former is much more data driven and the latter is well, at times, much more manual in it's execution.

On the other side 3D software companies need to do a better job at helping users know what to do with the different data sets. This is where I am VERY fond of the saying..."Just because you can doesn't mean you should!!!" meaning that just because a software can import "insert file type" doesn't mean that said user will then be able to do something with it once imported.

And on that medical side the DICOM data is a whole other area of skill set when understanding how to parse the data through mainly the grey scales and slice layers...etc.

One major topic is reverse engineering and decimation of geometry. When mesh data is "too" heavy the number of ploygons has to be reduced to different varying degrees depending on what other 3D applications are in the pipeline. Not all decimation algorithms are the same in their execution when using the reduction %. One software's 50% can look quite different than another's when using the exact same data.
FMAAID
Answers: 0

Re: What would you do with mesh data if you had the tools?

Unread post by FMAAID »

- something else?
This co pilot flooring is a good example of why I use mesh data, it saves time. I actually did a time study on how long it takes to measure and recreate manually( I used a faro arm to get point location data) vs 3d scan and create from imported point cloud. The 3d scan won by 3 hours.

- Would you NURBS surface scanned data? In this case im not sure it would help, If I could pull a section of the perimeter off the surface then it would save time.
Attachments
BLACKHAWK-CP.png