Forum Interface Suggestion

Make suggestion to the moderators and admins of this site.
zwei
Answers: 18

Forum Interface Suggestion

Unread post by zwei »

Leaving some of my suggestion here before i forget, some of them might already been highlighted in other post

Default / Guest Theme
Personally, i found that the default theme (Elegance i think?) is a bit "lacking"
→ Why is phpBB the header? Not trying to be a marketing person here, but we should at least let the guest know they had come to a CAD Forum...
→ Login and register is not obvious to user
→ The font dont look "sharp" enough for me (I not sure how do i explain this, but I had trouble reading the page using the default theme at 100%~125% zoom)
image.png
In my opinion, the main page & theme for guest is real important in "attracting" new user (especially younger user) as the saying goes "You cant make a second first impression"
Personally, I prefer Flat Style Blue, it had a good header, wont strain the eye, look pretty "modern" for me. Not sure about the register and login issue though.
image.png
Maybe we should have the forum folks to vote for the default theme?

Search bar
What is the intention of having two different search bar? I feel that it just confuse user.... Do we even need the Google Search bar?
image.png
image.png (11.67 KiB) Viewed 979 times

Quick Reply UI

I am not sure is it theme specific, but is it possible to have some basic function like Bold, Italic, Underline and maybe quote to appear on the quick reply UI?
image.png

Full Editor UI
I personally think the UI for the editor is a bit confusing
→ The color icon is a water droplet icon which is not really recognizable. Can we maybe change it to something that can be recognize by most user? Maybe something like the font color in MicrosoftWord
→ The strikethrough icon is also not really recognizable, [ S ] can mean a lot of thing. Similar with above, can we maybe change it to something that can be recognize by most user? Maybe something like S or abc
→ The superscript icon is also not really recognizable, [ SUP ] is a little bit misleading (not to mention it is placed between SARC and USARC which make me first thought is SUPER SARC). Can we maybe change it to something that can be recognize by most user? Maybe something like X2
→ The location of the icon is already a bit weird for me. "Text" modifier like strikethrough, superscript should be place near or beside bold, italic and underline
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zwei

Re: Forum Interface Suggestion

Unread post by zwei »

@matt
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

@matt
I came across this feedback in SWYMP
image.png
Is it possible to change the default theme as suggested above for guest?
matt

Unread post by matt »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:33 am @matt
I came across this feedback in SWYMP
image.png

Is it possible to change the default theme as suggested above for guest?
Yeah, it's really just a matter of time. I'll get to the default theme first, though.

I know of several phpbb boards that have not changed out the images. They don't exactly make it easy, especially when you allow users the option to select from a bunch of styles. Each one does it differently, and the plug in that I tried only works with a limited number of themes.