Material Properties

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Material Properties

Unread post by Tom G »

Where is a good place to find material properties of normal things? I can find, for example, specific variables for a named steel alloy with a Google search.

How about for weird things?
Molten Lava
Chicken Egg, raw (shell, albumen & yolk?)
Jello TM
NyQuil TM
Corrugated cardboard
Quartz crystals
Leather
Spandex
Duct Tape
Bone
Applesauce
Garlicky Mashed Potatoes with chunks of bacon

Is there a place you go to find these, or just look up each thing as needed?
by Andy_Sanders » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:29 pm
Tom G wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 pm Although I may have provided some examples which you find humorous, I had asked a serious question which remains unanswered.

http://www.matweb.com/
Go to full post
mike miller
Answers: 7

Re: Material Properties

Unread post by mike miller »

Did you forget the purple font?

I'm not sure of the tensile strength and/or Brinell hardness of mashed potatoes. Must be pretty close to zero. :geek:

Thanks for the laugh though. ;;
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Lava, which is molten rock, has a density of around 3,100 kilograms per cubic meter
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

Tom G wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:34 am Where is a good place to find material properties of normal things? I can find, for example, specific variables for a named steel alloy with a Google search.

Molten Lava
Jello TM
NyQuil TM
Corrugated cardboard
Quartz crystals
Leather
Spandex
Duct Tape
Bone

Applesauce

C'mon, man! That is kinky!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

mike miller wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:42 am Did you forget the purple font?

I'm not sure of the tensile strength and/or Brinell hardness of mashed potatoes. Must be pretty close to zero. :geek:

Thanks for the laugh though. ;;
I'm obsessed with some simulations and models. Richard Dreyfuss did it in Close Encounters of the Third Kind:
Mashtaters.JPG
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

I have a friend who was a material scientist at Keebler. He could literally tell you everything there was to know about how the cookie crumbles.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Although I may have provided some examples which you find humorous, I had asked a serious question which remains unanswered.

Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

Tom G wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:28 pm Although I may have provided some examples which you find humorous, I had asked a serious question which remains unanswered.

Hi Tom
maybe a Google search of "materials science". I actually focus on the material I'm looking for and search.
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.
HerrTick

Unread post by HerrTick »

Material data is valuable. Much of that information is closely guarded and proprietary. While there is a fair amount of data available for common materials, it's hard to come by in-depth data on much more. This is especially true for non-linear properties.

Last time I had to do a creep study, we had to pay good money for a sample study.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

Tom G wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:34 am Where is a good place to find material properties of normal things? I can find, for example, specific variables for a named steel alloy with a Google search.

Molten Lava
Jello TM
NyQuil TM
Corrugated cardboard
Quartz crystals
Leather
Spandex
Duct Tape
Bone
Applesauce

Unless you need exact numbers you're best bet is to try and find a common material close to what you're looking for and use those properties. Some of the things you list are rather "Common", leather, bone etc so you might be able to find someplace on the web that had similar properties. OTOH we recently shipped a machine that machined bone and what we used for material for "Ballpark" spindle calculations was wood that had similar properties.

For something like Jello I'd probably look at some sort of very soft rubber, chicken egg/Nyquil probably something like an oil and so on.

I find that unless you are looking for very exacting results "similar" often gets you well with in the ballpark of what you're looking for and that often very significant material changes has much less effect on various outcomes than you might think. Then again most of what I do is removing chunks of material from a bigger chunk of material or making sure something doesn't fly apart or break....not landing a rover on Mars :-)
Tahhhd

Unread post by Tahhhd »

I don't know about the rest of your items, but Applesauce used to be available for CFD computation in Flow Simulation.
(I haven't checked in over a decade, but I saw it as an option back when I was with the VAR, and had access to that tool.)
t
JSculley
Answers: 53

Unread post by JSculley »

Tahhhd wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:53 pm I don't know about the rest of your items, but Applesauce used to be available for CFD computation in Flow Simulation.
(I haven't checked in over a decade, but I saw it as an option back when I was with the VAR, and had access to that tool.)
t
Still there:
image.png
image.png (15.31 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
Andy_Sanders

Unread post by Andy_Sanders »

http://www.matweb.com/
All we are is dust in the wind, dude
-Ted