Camera design for vision system

For cross-CAD, learning, and maybe a little friendly competition.
ajsmack
Answers: 0

Camera design for vision system

Unread post by ajsmack »

how to design camera in cad and give functionality to work as real camera.it captured things Which is moving on conveyor belt.in case if I am wrong please help me on topic how vision system simulation done .
HerrTick
Answers: 1

Re: Camera design for vision system

Unread post by HerrTick »

Are you actually designing a camera? Or are you implementing an existing camera?

Can't help with the former.

For the latter, we typically include geometry for the field-of-vision ("FOV"), usually in the form of a tapered rectangle emanating from the camera focus.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

ajsmack wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm how to design camera in cad and give functionality to work as real camera.it captured things Which is moving on conveyor belt.in case if I am wrong please help me on topic how vision system simulation done .
You can also use the Camera tools in DisplayManager tab. That allows you to position the camera, set up it's optical properties and see what it sees. Also allows you to set up multiple cameras.

image.png
image.png (28.11 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
image.png
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Don't think SW can simulate "Vision System".
First, you'll need detail spec of the camera. Focal length of all lens. Len distortion. Sensor characteristic. etc etc etc
matt

Unread post by matt »

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:40 pm Don't think SW can simulate "Vision System".
First, you'll need detail spec of the camera. Focal length of all lens. Len distortion. Sensor characteristic. etc etc etc
You can specify position, orientation, target, lens view angle/focal length, apply perspective,

All of this is meant to simulate a real camera for setting up renders, but I see no reason why it couldn't be used to simulate a camera for a different purpose.
image.png
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

ajsmack wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:44 pm how to design camera in cad and give functionality to work as real camera.it captured things Which is moving on conveyor belt.in case if I am wrong please help me on topic how vision system simulation done .
I think we need some clarity here :D

Are you trying to

1) Design an actual camera and simulate how it works?
2) Simulate the view of a camera, rendering like what @matt is talking about?
3) Simulate a camera in a motion study or other simulation?

I don't know if you can do #1. I think matt gave you some ideas on #2 and for #3 I would look at sensors https://help.solidworks.com/2018/englis ... SOR_PM.htm

I've never used them but I think I've seen them used to do "If this is present do this" kind of thing in a motion study.
matt

Unread post by matt »

MJuric wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:46 pm I think we need some clarity here :D

Are you trying to

1) Design an actual camera and simulate how it works?
2) Simulate the view of a camera, rendering like what @matt is talking about?
3) Simulate a camera in a motion study or other simulation?

I don't know if you can do #1. I think matt gave you some ideas on #2 and for #3 I would look at sensors https://help.solidworks.com/2018/englis ... SOR_PM.htm

I've never used them but I think I've seen them used to do "If this is present do this" kind of thing in a motion study.
Sounds to me like he's asking about simulating how a vision system on a conveyor works in CAD. I think the camera thing will get you as close as native SW will get you. Camera optics would be something that - with the lenses anyway - would require an optics add in.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

matt wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:27 pm Sounds to me like he's asking about simulating how a vision system on a conveyor works in CAD. I think the camera thing will get you as close as native SW will get you. Camera optics would be something that - with the lenses anyway - would require an optics add in.
You may be right, but since he or she hasn't replied since the initial post we may never know.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
ajsmack

Unread post by ajsmack »

Sorry for late replay
I have designed a vision system and also made camera in cad attached together and run this vision system in simulation software, in this simulation , will the cad camera be able to tell me which part is right and which part is defects.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

I'm still not 100% sure what you're asking.

"You designed a vision system and also made a camera in CAD" - Does this mean
1) You went to the web, grabbed models from a company like Keyence or Banner and put together a vision system or...
2) You actually designed a Camera, lights etc with all the parts necessary to manufacture the camera, lights etc?

"In the simulation will the CAD camera be able to tell me which part is right and which part is defective"?
1) Are you trying to simulate the above "Designed camera" to see if the camera you designed functions properly or...
2) Are you trying to simulate the camera working generically, for instance "Red part is bad", "Green part is good"?
3) Are you trying to simulate the camera working specifically, for instance "The hole location on this part is out of location by .005"

The only one that I aware for sure you could probably due is #2 in the second group. See here

The other stuff you might be able to do but I have zero idea how you might be able to.
ajsmack

Unread post by ajsmack »

Please see this video
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

ajsmack wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:08 pm Please see this video
I have no idea whether you can actually make a functioning system that exactly duplicates what they are doing in those videos in SW. However certainly there are parts that you can actually do functionally and thru the magic of video editing I suspect you could do it.

If you look at the video I linked it shows you how to do the entire system based on rejecting by color. You could probably show a complex model and then Accept/Reject based on an area of color or some other function. I have no idea what all you can base sensors on.

At that point you have a functioning system and the only thing left is to show a picture on the screen that is the same as the part going under the camera. No idea if or how you could do that in SW but if it's more along the lines of a presentation video like the one in the video you could probably do all that in some other way not related to SW.
Ömür Tokman

Unread post by Ömür Tokman »

I don't think it's a feature of this system camera. An operation with software. First, a problem-free (defect-free) image is introduced to the software, then every photo taken with the camera is compared with the introduced photo, and the product that does not have visual compatibility is thrown out of the band.
Can this be done with SW? I don't think so as a simulation. but it can only be made as animation to show the client how my site works.
scenario:
The product passes in front of the camera and at the same time, a decal is displayed on the monitor.
For each product, the decal on the monitor is shifted up and down.
A faulty product and a faulty decal are used for the desired product.
the arm pushes the unwanted product out of the band.
SW can be animated (cheat) but not simulated. (at least I think so.)
You ˹alone˺ we worship and You ˹alone˺ we ask for help.