Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by DennisD »

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:41 pm Snake oil works better.
Slick 50 is the best.
Fresh out of college I was a lubricants research engineer with Amoco Oil. One of the projects I worked on was investigating Slick-50. We spent over $50k (this was in 1985) trying to validate ANY of their claims. Not only were none of their claims supported, our tests proved the oil was detrimental to an engine. It truly is a modern snake oil. The marketing BS written on the side of the can used the words "solution" and "suspension" interchangeably when referring to the ground-up Teflon. We burst out laughing when we read that out loud.

I think those marketing guys found a good home a DSS/SWX. (Note the absence of purple font.)
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
Roasted By John

Unread post by Roasted By John »

Tony Tieuli wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:06 pm
Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:17 pm Its getting close. 3 positive at work.
Just found out on Sunday that my brother and his wife are both Covid-19 positive. :(
Wish you the best Tony.... you sure had your share.. ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Tony Tieuli
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tony Tieuli »

DennisD wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:43 pm

Tony, Covid has been especially harsh on your family! Take your vitamins, get some sun, and drink (your beverage of choice). Cheers! UU
Yes it has! We've lost my two oldest sisters and my father-in-law. Numerous other family members have tested positive but so far all the rest have come through it.
My wife and I have both had both vaccinations. I had Moderna, she had Phizer.

Update:
My brother was hospitalized last night with a high fever due to Covid. I don't mean to dump this on everyone but I'm having trouble thinking of anything else right now.
It seems like the Covid gods have decided that my family is an especially juicy target.

Update #2:
My brother was released from the hospital last night. tu
He's still on oxygen and steroids but at least he's home! ><
jayar
Answers: 2

Unread post by jayar »

Someone over on Swym is asking for SWX users to chat about what they do. They'll pay $100 for a 1 hour interview apparently. Here's the link if you are interested: https://www.userinterviews.com/projects ... Z_bA/apply
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

Tony Tieuli wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 pm Yes it has! We've lost my two oldest sisters and my father-in-law. Numerous other family members have tested positive but so far all the rest have come through it.

Update:
My brother was hospitalized last night with a high fever due to Covid. I don't mean to dump this on everyone but I'm having trouble thinking of anything else right now.
It seems like the Covid gods have decided that my family is an especially juicy target.
Hey Tony,

Just let it out and speak what's on your mind, it helps to vent to people who aren't directly related to us at times.

Hope everything goes for the best, prayers and thoughts for your brother, your family and you.
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

Tony Tieuli wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:21 pm Yes it has! We've lost my two oldest sisters and my father-in-law. Numerous other family members have tested positive but so far all the rest have come through it.

Update:
Sorry to hear that Tony. I hope he recovers quickly.

It's strange how some families have been hit really hard and some get away virtually scot-free.... :?
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
Roasted By John

This one sounds suspicious....
image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

Roasted By John wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 am This one sounds suspicious....

image.png
Tease that person for having a stutter.
matt
Answers: 18

Unread post by matt »

Roasted By John wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:23 am This one sounds suspicious....

image.png
No this one is legit. And she has logged in, so @sjunsjunsjun might introduce herself...
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:09 am Sorry to hear that Tony. I hope he recovers quickly.

It's strange how some families have been hit really hard and some get away virtually scot-free.... :?
I hope as we move the study of this disease along that they do more genetic related research. There seems to be such a massive divide with little or no obvious relationship.

My Mother was telling me of a couple she is friends with. Both older 70-80, both tested positive, both in similar health and living together. One could assume they were likely exposed at the same amount and at a similar time probably from the same source. The husband ended up in the hospital while the wife almost didn't get checked because she had no symptoms.

I've heard many stories like this and many stories of families getting hit hard while some almost no reaction. My neighbor has five kids, the father had it early on and got "A little sick", didn't even know he had it until they wouldn't let him in to work because he had a slightly elevated temp. Either no one else in the house got it, which is hard to believe considering family size and age of kids...or none of them reacted very much to it.

It's just weird.
AlexLachance

Anyone heard that they were able to extract oxygen off of the surface of Mars? That's rather interesting!
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm Anyone heard that they were able to extract oxygen off of the surface of Mars? That's rather interesting!
I'm more fascinated by the idea that it took us 200K years to figure out how to fly and then a mere 100 years to figure out how to fly on another freakin' planet.

The advancement rate we are moving at is stunning. I wonder if they'll have Mars Terraformed before I die :D
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

MJuric wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:27 pm I hope as we move the study of this disease along that they do more genetic related research. There seems to be such a massive divide with little or no obvious relationship.

My Mother was telling me of a couple she is friends with. Both older 70-80, both tested positive, both in similar health and living together. One could assume they were likely exposed at the same amount and at a similar time probably from the same source. The husband ended up in the hospital while the wife almost didn't get checked because she had no symptoms.

I've heard many stories like this and many stories of families getting hit hard while some almost no reaction. My neighbor has five kids, the father had it early on and got "A little sick", didn't even know he had it until they wouldn't let him in to work because he had a slightly elevated temp. Either no one else in the house got it, which is hard to believe considering family size and age of kids...or none of them reacted very much to it.

It's just weird.
My cousin and his wife both both got it at the same time. He was sick for a few days and recovered. She was in the hospital on a ventilator for 5 weeks and then died, and tested positive for Covid right up until the end.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mike miller

MJuric wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:43 pm I'm more fascinated by the idea that it took us 200K years to figure out how to fly and then a mere 100 years to figure out how to fly on another freakin' planet.

The advancement rate we are moving at is stunning. I wonder if they'll have Mars Terraformed before I die :D
And yet, the twentieth century was the bloodiest in human history. ()
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:12 pm And yet, the twentieth century was the bloodiest in human history. ()
I always thought this was an odd statement considering the brutality of our history....so I did some digging. Yes, by pure number of deaths the 20th century was bloodiest century by quite a bit. However when you start looking at "Deaths per thousand of population"...it wasn't even close.

The second most deadly conflict, I think, the Mongul conquests, took place in the 12th century when the population was in the 300-350M people range. The low estimate of deaths in this war was 30M people...that's 10% of the global population at the time. By comparison you would have had to have 240M deaths during WWII to be equal. At the same time the Christian vs Muslim Crusades, War for Scottish Independence and the Cathar Crusades all took place over or partially in the same century. Again by deaths per hundred thousand this century was almost four times as bloody.

In fact, deaths per hundred thousand, the 20th century was second to last bloodiest for the centuries including 13th thru the 20th. Throw in an estimate 75-200M deaths from the Black plague in the 14th century and by comparison the 20th century was pretty civilized. The only centuries less bloody during this time frame was the 15th and 18th centuries.

Also if I had to guess I'd say in reality that the older centuries where even far worse. Along side the large wars where constant skirmishes and raids where people were regularly killed with impunity. By the 20th century nearly all of this kind of behavior was gone in the relatively developed countries.
AlexLachance

Very very very interesting this morning!

For the very first time, we can see a black hole's magnetic field.
AlexLachance

And here I thought we were done with snow... Woke up this morning with another 3 inch on the ground... Thankfully this should definetly be the last we get.

In a little more then a month, I'll be on vacation up North to fish pikes and walleyes with friends for a whole week. Kind of eager for it.
DanPihlaja
Answers: 24

Unread post by DanPihlaja »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:51 am And here I thought we were done with snow... Woke up this morning with another 3 inch on the ground... Thankfully this should definetly be the last we get.

In a little more then a month, I'll be on vacation up North to fish pikes and walleyes with friends for a whole week. Kind of eager for it.
Its snowing here right now.
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

2 Corinthians 13:14
AlexLachance

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:59 am Its snowing here right now.
Did you also puke a little in your mouth?
Glenn Schroeder

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:51 am And here I thought we were done with snow... Woke up this morning with another 3 inch on the ground... Thankfully this should definetly be the last we get.

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:59 am

Its snowing here right now.
;;

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

AlexLachance

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:26 am ;;

image.png
Blow some heat over here man, leave some for Canada eh!
DanPihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:26 am ;;

image.png
Yeah, here is what's funny:
image.png
30 degree swing in less than 24 hours. *sigh*
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

Glenn Schroeder

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:53 am Yeah, here is what's funny:
image.png

30 degree swing in less than 24 hours. *sigh*
Just 30°? Below is a screenshot from the local TV station I saved a few years ago. And that 41° change that's circled is the high from one day to the next. Notice the 51° change from the high on Saturday to the low that same night.

image.png

DanPihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 am Just 30°? Below is a screenshot from the local TV station I saved a few years ago. And that 41° change that's circled is the high from one day to the next. Notice the 51° change from the high on Saturday to the low that same night.

image.png
Yeah, that's probably rare for Texas (although I have been wrong before....and this is generally what it looks like). In Michigan we see the 30 degree swing at least twice a year. LOL
-Dan Pihlaja
Solidworks 2022 SP4

Glenn Schroeder

dpihlaja wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:18 am Yeah, that's probably rare for Texas (although I have been wrong before....and this is generally what it looks like). In Michigan we see the 30 degree swing at least twice a year. LOL
You're right, swings that drastic are unusual, but 30° certainly isn't, and we can get it multiple times per year. It's not at all unusual to have a warm front come in off the Gulf of Mexico pushing highs into the low 80's for a few days, then have a cold front blow through and the high be 30° to 40° degrees lower the next day.

Roasted By John

Well - If you ever wanna get someone really good - change this setting..
image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
zxys001
Answers: 4

Unread post by zxys001 »

"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
AlexLachance

zxys001 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:14 pm This is too funny. King Josh!
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/25/99071412 ... o-nebraska
The world needs more of this.
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

AlexLachance wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:21 pm The world needs more of this.
ditto! :D
Attachments
tumblr_naxsf9pGxv1qava0mo2_500.gif
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Roasted By John

@RickB

This is back on... It doesn't come in as locked anymore
image.png
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
RickB

Unread post by RickB »

Roasted By John wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:38 pm @RickB

This is back on... It doesn't come in as locked anymore

image.png
And I still have absolutely no desire to go to the SWYM to contribute.

Nice to see they are getting around to all of the threads...

Thanks John.
Roasted By John

RickB wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:50 pm And I still have absolutely no desire to go to the SWYM to contribute.

Nice to see they are getting around to all of the threads...

Thanks John.
Actually, did I say it first??

"They will get their act together, good things are about to happen"
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

Clearly you have an investment there that some of us don't. Who cares if they finally get their act together. I'm not spending any time there.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Glenn Schroeder

SPerman wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 am Clearly you have an investment there that some of us don't. Who cares if they finally get their act together. I'm not spending any time there.
I will be happy to return to the Dassault sponsored forum if they get their act together (but I wouldn't leave here). However, I define getting their act together as moving it to a dedicated forum platform, not that difficult to navigate mess they have now.

In case they haven't figured this out yet, if you have to have videos and detailed explanations about how to navigate and use an internet site it's too complicated.

"User friendly" is a concept they apparently haven't grasped yet.

DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:30 am I will be happy to return to the Dassault sponsored forum if they get their act together (but I wouldn't leave here). However, I define getting their act together as moving it to a dedicated forum platform, not that difficult to navigate mess they have now.

In case they haven't figured this out yet, if you have to have videos and detailed explanations about how to navigate and use an internet site it's too complicated.

User friendly" is a concept they apparently haven't grasped yet.
AMEN!!
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Look guys, y'all really should cut them some slack...they haven't been working on that platform for very long...give them some more time...
image.png
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 am Look guys, y'all really should cut them some slack...they haven't been working on that platform for very long...give them some more time...
image.png

Well, at least they have the heading shown in purple <s> :D
Roasted By John

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:10 am Look guys, y'all really should cut them some slack...they haven't been working on that platform for very long...give them some more time...
image.png
It's coming - whatever "It" is - amazingly they are listening and it looks like somethings will be pretty awesome ;)
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
mattpeneguy

image.png
I'll believe it when I see it...
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

Roasted By John wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:39 am It's coming - whatever "It" is - amazingly they are listening and it looks like somethings will be pretty awesome ;)
Hey John, I think some here are taking you seriously. There's a button that Matt added to make it more clear that the author is being sarcastic, it helps for those of us that take everything too literally.
image.png
Roasted By John

bnemec wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 am Hey John, I think some here are taking you seriously. There's a button that Matt added to make it more clear that the author is being sarcastic, it helps for those of us that take everything too literally.

image.png

We are being Sucked In
image.png
image.png (18.13 KiB) Viewed 4895 times
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
DennisD

Unread post by DennisD »

bnemec wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 am Hey John, I think some here are taking you seriously. There's a button that Matt added to make it more clear that the author is being sarcastic, it helps for those of us that take everything too literally.

image.png
No!

No!
- - -Randy Pausch
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

Roasted By John wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:39 am It's coming - whatever "It" is - amazingly they are listening and it looks like somethings will be pretty awesome ;)
Another 5% working new feature?
mattpeneguy

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:09 pm Another 5% working new feature?
Hmm...Do we need a Missing 95% thread? First entry would be 3DSwym....
AlexLachance

Let's just be clear though,

The platform will remain. Will they find a way to have a sort of seperation between both, that I do not know.

I know they are also talking about giving us the ability to sort of hide the communities we do not interact with, but have no idea how it will come out in the end.

From what I saw though, amazing isn't the word that comes to mind
Roasted By John

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 pm

Way beyond that Alex, waaayy way waayy
www.martinsroastapig.com
Pig Roast Your Way
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 pm Let's just be clear though,

The platform will remain. Will they find a way to have a sort of seperation between both, that I do not know.

I know they are also talking about giving us the ability to sort of hide the communities we do not interact with, but have no idea how it will come out in the end.

It will be:
AMAZING, they did it AGAIN!
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:08 pm It will be:
AMAZING, they did it AGAIN!
Well, I guess it's subjective.

I was amazed that they did not see coming Jive forcing them off :lol:
mike miller

Every time Dassault opens its collective mouth, it trips and falls inside. PR at its best!

They need to hire Jen Psaki to learn some tips..... :lol:
jayar
Answers: 2

Unread post by jayar »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 pm Let's just be clear though,

"amazing" reminds me of a joke about a nun.

It seems there was this nun in the nunnery (where the nuns hang out) who, whenever the Mother Superior would make some comment about something or other the sister would say "Amazing!" in a loud voice.

Some of the other nuns were curious if she was really such a blatant brown-noser and called her out on it one day. The nun replied that in one of her previous postings she used to get in trouble all the time for saying everything was 'bullsh*t' and she was sent away for additional training/re-education. They taught her to think about what she actually was going to say before she said it and if there was any foul language involved that she should substitute some other word.

The other nuns asked her what word she used to substitute for the word 'bullsh*t'. The nun replied, "Amazing!"