If SW Desktop Fell off the face of the earth today...

If SW Desktop fell off the face of the earth today, what would you do?

take up llama farming
6%
do CAD in Paint
No votes
cry and complain that they never really loved you and that they should come back because you need them so much
2%
move to "the platform" SW cloud, 3DX, V6, Catia lite, whatever it's called now
2%
Inventor/F360
15%
Solid Edge
53%
Creo
2%
Onshape
8%
Start a research project
13%

Total votes: 62
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Re: If SW Desktop Fell off the face of the earth today...

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

m2shell wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:58 pm Interesting - Good to get some info on this. Generally all the comments I get about a software comparison with SW are for the 3d modeling and assembly mechanisms. But my main frustrations with SW come from the drawing interface. So its super helpful to hear some comparisons.

-m
Yeah, I'd like some input as well from people that are familiar with SE and IV drawings. I have a feeling that both are more stable than SW, but that's just a feeling.
Don't take anything I posted above seriously, it's all based on a very basic test run.
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

mattpeneguy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:05 am . . . For instance the Mouse Gestures in SE are MUCH more capable than in SW.
Would you mind expanding on that? I'm a big fan of Mouse Gestures in SW and am curious about the improved capability in SE.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Glenn,
You get a double row of commands:
image.png
image.png (60.74 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
I seem to remember more than that, but it's been a little while. If you are interested you can look into the full functionality, they call it "radial menu".
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

It may pan out differently in practice, but just looking at that Radial Menu I think adding a second row of commands would lead to a worse user experience. With a single row, you just right-click and drag in the direction and you get the command. With a second row you have to right click, drag, actually pay attention to where the cursor is on the screen, and then make sure you don't overshoot if you want something on the inner circle. Definitely seems like it loses some of the speed advantage of the SW implementation.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

I actually like the way SE does the radial menu. SW picks the command as soon as you cross in that direction. SE doesn't pick the command until you release the right mouse button. Too many times I haven't moved in the correct direction in SW, and got the wrong command. Now I can make sure the proper command is selected before releasing the button.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

dave.laban wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:01 am It may pan out differently in practice, but just looking at that Radial Menu I think adding a second row of commands would lead to a worse user experience. With a single row, you just right-click and drag in the direction and you get the command. With a second row you have to right click, drag, actually pay attention to where the cursor is on the screen, and then make sure you don't overshoot if you want something on the inner circle. Definitely seems like it loses some of the speed advantage of the SW implementation.
No, because if you swipe fluidly (as you would in SWX) it gets the inner command. The outer commands are generally less-used because you have to go slower, like you said. Even so, you can adjust the response time in milliseconds for the outer ring to become active.

Plus you have a different set for every environment (something like 28 different ones).
image.png
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
dave.laban

Unread post by dave.laban »

mike miller wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:40 am Even so, you can adjust the response time in milliseconds for the outer ring to become active.
That sounds like it would solve the problem nicely.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

mike miller wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:40 am Plus you have a different set for every environment (something like 28 different ones).

image.png
And this is why I mostly quit using it in SE. I was pretty much beat into submission of using mostly default settings as I loathed redoing all of them. Make sure you use the Settings and Preferences Wizard (in the windows Start menu) to save your settings. But they warn against using a settings file from one version to another.

Also, beware in Solid Edge that System settings and Document settings are all jumbled together and sprinkled throughout the settings UI and beyond. One thing we do like about SW is that most of the System settings are segregated from the Document settings. Although it feels they are falling away from that with some newer features. IMO it should be crystal clear to the user if the change they are making is applied to the workstation, their user profile or the document. When that is not apparent mass confusion will spread when there's more than a handful of users.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

What is the trick for getting the free training that comes with the community edition? I followed the instructions "How To Register' video on the download page and all I can see is a couple of free preview videos. I was never asked to enter the Promotion Code. The video also talks about registering at Mentor.com, but I cannot find the SE library they are referring to at that site.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

SPerman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:42 pm What is the trick for getting the free training that comes with the community edition? I followed the instructions "How To Register' video on the download page and all I can see is a couple of free preview videos. I was never asked to enter the Promotion Code. The video also talks about registering at Mentor.com, but I cannot find the SE library they are referring to at that site.
Were you on the Xcelerator Academy? https://training.plm.automation.siemens.com/index.cfm, be sure to bookmark it b/c it's a pain to find from the main site.
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I think I finally found the way to subscribe to the training. I think it was a combination of me doing this late at night, the siemens web site being confusing, and the instructions being inaccurate.
-
JuTu
Answers: 1

Unread post by JuTu »

Oh. It seems that I had already voted. But now reading the question twice I just realized this poll had nothing to do with my parents and how I was raised up. =)
Sincerely,
JuTu