Does anyone actually use 3DExperience in a productive manner?

bnemec
Answers: 10

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience?

Unread post by bnemec »

MJuric wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:56 pm I've been saying for a while that I think it would make more sense to take a year or two off developing "New" features and just go thru and fix all the bugs, inconsistencies and make it as rock solid stable as possible.

Instead they are pouring money into development of new features that either only fit a niche part of their user base or is a solution in hunt of a problem.
They are not interested in making sense; they want dollars.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:55 pm SolidWorks Mechanical Conceptual later rebranded Xdesign, since 2013-14 and still missing in action for the most part. They need to study Onshape's business model as I think Dassault development suffers from some serious scope creep.

https://www.solidapps.co.uk/blog/2014/0 ... -problems/
scope creep. That was another inexcusable crime in the CS/SE classes I took. If you had a good working program to submit for lab or project you could get a perfect score. But if you tried to get the extra credit points for the extra curveball test cases and that messed up core functionality; that would cost you everything. They graded harshly on such things. I'm starting to think those professors really knew what they were doing. Makes me wonder if they had a BS in Mechanical Engineering, used CAD for several years then went back and got Masters and Dr in computer science so they could teach the next gen not to do exactly what SW is doing. I'm digressing.... :roll:
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

SPerman wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:16 am One has to wonder if they even have a roadmap. They either change course every year or two, or they are just wandering aimlessly with no real direction.
Yes, they have a road map. I think they spend most of their time going back and forth between 610 and Beltway 8 in Houston.

image.png
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
jcapriotti
Answers: 29

Unread post by jcapriotti »

I think this is their road map.
image.png
Jason
jcapriotti

bnemec wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:07 am .....so they could teach the next gen not to do exactly what SW is doing.

Honestly I don't think SolidWorks (US) is responsible for the scope creep. DesktopWorks delivers and if anything they are guilty of not following up to fill in gaps in functionality and introducing bugs. 3dxWorks scoop creep lies at the feet of Dassault (France) leadership. They don't seem to know how to approach and deliver something SolidWorks users want. They are use to dealing with a smaller number of very large companies instead of a large number of small/medium size companies. Totally different needs and mindset.

In my opinion, keeping the Catia/Enovia/3dx worlds separate from the SolidWorks world was ideal as it caters to different types of clients. Their effort should've been making it easy for the two to talk to each when needed. Make it seamless. Surely they can make it work better than their competitors do, if they want.
Jason
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:07 am Honestly I don't think SolidWorks (US) is responsible for the scope creep. DesktopWorks delivers and if anything they are guilty of not following up to fill in gaps in functionality and introducing bugs. 3dxWorks scoop creep lies at the feet of Dassault (France) leadership. They don't seem to know how to approach and deliver something SolidWorks users want. They are use to dealing with a smaller number of very large companies instead of a large number of small/medium size companies. Totally different needs and mindset.

In my opinion, keeping the Catia/Enovia/3dx worlds separate from the SolidWorks world was ideal as it caters to different types of clients. Their effort should've been making it easy for the two to talk to each when needed. Make it seamless. Surely they can make it work better than their competitors do, if they want.
Good point. I stand corrected.
mattpeneguy
Answers: 4

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

Well, it seems they're very concerned with the pencil not working over on the platform...what a mess they've got going on over there...
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

The pencil probably up there somewhere.
MJuric
Answers: 1

Unread post by MJuric »

OK, so this is funny.

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... 9KXAvwedDA

First I wonder how in the world a post with two responses became "One of the top most engaged posts"...either the have miserable engagement or their statistic collection is a bit off.

I like Josh's response "Did you read the post?", to which the only possible response is "Nope"
jcapriotti

If it wasn't for some of you guys posting over there, it'd be pretty dead.
@mattpeneguy @AlexLachance @bnemec @Frederick_Law
Jason
mattpeneguy

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:59 pm If it wasn't for some of you guys posting over there, it'd be pretty dead.
Hey, the only posting I do over there is sarcastic or directing people over here for help. It's disturbing to see people follow up on an old forum post as if they are going to get help from the old users. They've really created a mess over there and I feel sorry for the new users that get crickets when they post a question, especially to an old long thread.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

jcapriotti wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:59 pm If it wasn't for some of you guys posting over there, it'd be pretty dead.
image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

I just notice today they finally manage to make google search work for the new post?
image.png
It still annoy me that i need to click into the link, and then click open in forum though
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Also for those who is curious about how "FAST" changes is being made there:
Idea created: 13-Apr-2021
Idea submitted to R&D: 30-Apr-2021
Idea move In Plan: 23-Jun-2021
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

I'm about to give up and leave them in their mess, I'm an eternal optimist but there comes a point in time where I need to "move on", and reattribute my energy to something more productive.
Frederick_Law

I wasn't there to help.
Shooting the crap is more like it.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:44 am I'm about to give up and leave them in their mess, I'm an eternal optimist but there comes a point in time where I need to "move on", and reattribute my energy to something more productive.
I kind of picked that up in your comments yesterday! LOL

I wish some top dogs would realize they need to just cut their losses and "move on"
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 am I kind of picked that up in your comments yesterday! LOL

I wish some top dogs would realize they need to just cut their losses and "move on"
It seems I might have struck gold on my comment to them, since Mr. Shaodun liked it :lol:
image.png
mike miller
Answers: 7

Unread post by mike miller »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 am I kind of picked that up in your comments yesterday! LOL

But that's where the problem lies. They'd rather "cut their losses" by cutting users instead of their pet ideology.
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
matt

Unread post by matt »

Here's something I came across. It shows the traffic on a certain forum before it was cut off compared to a certain forum as it was being created, along with something that has been around a while and doesn't get much traffic. This was early on for us, and we have increased traffic a lot since this point. Do you think the SWymp gets more or less traffic than the old SW forum? (I like how the old forum peaked right before it was killed).

image.png
mike miller

matt wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:45 am Here's something I came across. It shows the traffic on a certain forum before it was cut off compared to a certain forum as it was being created, along with something that has been around a while and doesn't get much traffic. This was early on for us, and we have increased traffic a lot since this point. Do you think the SWymp gets more or less traffic than the old SW forum? (I like how the old forum peaked right before it was killed).

image.png
Disruptive innovation at work. ;;
He that finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for [Christ's] sake will find it. Matt. 10:39
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

matt wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:45 am Here's something I came across. It shows the traffic on a certain forum before it was cut off compared to a certain forum as it was being created, along with something that has been around a while and doesn't get much traffic. This was early on for us, and we have increased traffic a lot since this point. Do you think the SWymp gets more or less traffic than the old SW forum? (I like how the old forum peaked right before it was killed).

image.png
I'm sure someone would say it is the most popular forum "in the world!" Thing is, it's apples and oranges. The old Solidworks forum was just for Solidworks and it's various connected bits. The SWYMp contains chatter all the DSS "offerings" but it's fluffed up with propaganda. Trying to determine the amount of USEFUL and HELPFUL threads there and the traffic to just those threads is futile. Also, I wouldn't count visits that are lead there from google results to the old forum content.

It's nuts, all they would need to do is invest the money they are putting into the SWYMp into some modern, supported forum and direct the gurus and VARs and partners to that and we'd all be back in business. Heck, they probably could have just bought a forum platform (not The Platform) for less and been much farther ahead. They talk like they thing they've reinvented the wheel, but all they've done is tied a rope around a big square rock.
Frederick_Law

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am but all they've done is tied a rope around a big square rock.
No, it just the tip of the rock. 90% is underground.
"We are moving earth by pulling this rope."
matt

Unread post by matt »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:12 am It's nuts, all they would need to do is invest the money they are putting into the SWYMp into some modern, supported forum and direct the gurus and VARs and partners to that and we'd all be back in business. Heck, they probably could have just bought a forum platform (not The Platform) for less and been much farther ahead. They talk like they thing they've reinvented the wheel, but all they've done is tied a rope around a big square rock.
People keep saying the same thing, but you're not going to fix DS.
jcapriotti

Ultimately I could care less if they 'buy' a forum or build their own. But whatever they build should be as good as what they can buy and that's obviously not the case, not even close.

To me, the activity appears to much less than the old forum. I believe because of the disorganization and hard to follow social media format. I would mostly follow a few sub-forums (sheet metal, PDM, admin) but in the new environment, its all clobbered together.
Jason
AlexLachance

image.png
I think the SWYMP gets more traffic because it covers larger, but the traffic coming from SolidWorks has definetly cut off. The discussions taking place on the platform are far in between and they aren't really discussions either.

By the way, those are some flattering statistics for you, altough they remain only that, statistics. It does show you're doing something right
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:53 am Ultimately I could care less if they 'buy' a forum or build their own. But whatever they build should be as good as what they can buy and that's obviously not the case, not even close.

To me, the activity appears to much less than the old forum. I believe because of the disorganization and hard to follow social media format. I would mostly follow a few sub-forums (sheet metal, PDM, admin) but in the new environment, its all clobbered together.
You mean colobberated?
Frederick_Law

I think when they recreate the new forum, they recreated the Dump.
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

I think I was spoiled with the old forum, I was used to response of some kind within a day or two, and even if no responses at least a couple dozen views in the first day.
image.png
mike miller

LOL. Poor guy. :lol:
2021-06-23 16_52_04.jpg
Frederick_Law

;;
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

mike miller wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:52 pm LOL. Poor guy. :lol:

2021-06-23 16_52_04.jpg
What, [SHFT][ENTER] isn't completely intuitive?
Frederick_Law

[Shift][F][.U.][C][K][Enter]
Bugzuki
Answers: 0

Unread post by Bugzuki »

My opinion is that DS wants to eventually get rid of SolidWorks all together, and they are working on a way to get to that end by slowly phasing out the "Legacy" SolidWorks products and getting (forcing) all the users to move to the Platform either xDesign or 3DX. Once they have a lot of the users on those platforms they can decommission the SolidWorks versions and move those people to the Catia versions.

(Wow, the enter key worked correctly) DS does not like it that it's mid-range product is better than it's high end products and it has the need to kill what ever gets in its way. It seems that this all started when Bertrand Sicot was demoted to VP of DS value sales channel. DS needed a yes man to help kill off the SolidWorks product line.
jcapriotti

Bugzuki wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:52 pm My opinion is that DS wants to eventually get rid of SolidWorks all together, and they are working on a way to get to that end by slowly phasing out the "Legacy" SolidWorks products and getting (forcing) all the users to move to the Platform either xDesign or 3DX. Once they have a lot of the users on those platforms they can decommission the SolidWorks versions and move those people to the Catia versions.
I'm skeptical that Dassault can kill SolidWorks desktop in a way that insures the userbase comes over to 3dx land. This price is a barrier to entry for many. Also the modularization and pricing model will drive many away. They are trying to treat this like Catia.....I'm just waiting for the backpedaling to start.
image.png
Jason
mattpeneguy

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 pm I'm skeptical that Dassault can kill SolidWorks desktop in a way that insures the userbase comes over to 3dx land. This price is a barrier to entry for many. Also the modularization and pricing model will drive many away. They are trying to treat this like Catia.....I'm just waiting for the backpedaling to start.

image.png
Not anytime soon...The only way they will start backpedaling is if A LOT of users jump ship from SW to IV and SE.
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

jcapriotti wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:10 pm I'm skeptical that Dassault can kill SolidWorks desktop in a way that insures the userbase comes over to 3dx land. This price is a barrier to entry for many. Also the modularization and pricing model will drive many away. They are trying to treat this like Catia.....I'm just waiting for the backpedaling to start.

image.png
I'm not skeptical that they COULD do it, I am however absolutely certain they AREN'T doing it.

ADesk actually did a pretty good job in my opinion when switching from MDT to IV. They just started shipping IV free with MDT subscriptions. People started installing it to "Play with it" because they had it and wanted to see what all the fuss was about and many started using it and none of those people felt forced because...well it was their choice.

ADesk's problem was not their approach to the switch, it was the fact that they were ridiculously expensive by comparison, most of their VAR's at the time were awful and in most cases they treated any company with less than 50 seats with disdain.

I get support today from my SW VAR that my ADesk VAR would have said "I need a credit card to talk to you about that before I can talk to you", yes even when I was on subscription. They're approach to support was "We'll assume you're screwing up and if you are we are charging you for it"
jcapriotti

MJuric wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:22 am ADesk actually did a pretty good job in my opinion when switching from MDT to IV. They just started shipping IV free with MDT subscriptions. People started installing it to "Play with it" because they had it and wanted to see what all the fuss was about and many started using it and none of those people felt forced because...well it was their choice.
Good point. one difference though was the MDT was crap, we had 3 copies and tried using it on a project. Then we evaluated it against SolidWorks and Solid Edge. There was no comparison and Adesk knew it, that's why IV came out shortly after. IV on first release was better than MDT in almost everyway, not that the bar was that high.

SolidWorks is not crap, and it eclipses what Xdesign can do for product design and production drawings. The only thing it has over desktop is the cloud environment, no installation, and a higher price tag. Those factors, IMO, aren't a compelling enough reason to switch from desktop.

We were on Catia v4 when we switched to SolidWorks in '98. It was less expensive (a lot), ran on windows, and was easier to use. Dassault tried to get us to look at Catia v5 (then in alpha). It looked easier to use but was completely not compatible with v4. We would have to remodel and redraw everything. So why not consider another CAD tool? SolidWorks to Xdesign looks to be the same, if I have to remodel and redraw everything, I could do that in another CAD tool. Since we are going to Windchill, management would likely push us to Creo.
Jason
MJuric

Unread post by MJuric »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:37 am Good point. one difference though was the MDT was crap, we had 3 copies and tried using it on a project.
MDT was the early signs of ADesk going South. MDT was nothing more than ADesk throwing together a bunch of popular programs they already had and reselling it as something new. When other company's actually started coming out with something new all they had was a poor attempt at integrating together a whole bunch of older applications.

I tried it for several releases and it just wouldn't do what I needed it too. I didn't move to IV for several releases either for similar reasons.
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Here is the daily dose of SWYMP (https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... z8lIc2sYNQ)

The mouse cursor change depending on what you hover on.
But no matter what kind of cursor it display, it serve no purpose and still function like a normal pointer cursor.

Just like the platform i guess...
image.png
SolidMuse

Unread post by SolidMuse »

jcapriotti wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:07 am Honestly I don't think SolidWorks (US) is responsible for the scope creep. DesktopWorks delivers and if anything they are guilty of not following up to fill in gaps in functionality and introducing bugs. 3dxWorks scoop creep lies at the feet of Dassault (France) leadership. They don't seem to know how to approach and deliver something SolidWorks users want. They are use to dealing with a smaller number of very large companies instead of a large number of small/medium size companies. Totally different needs and mindset.

What Jason said.... The 3DExperience stuff is all driven by DS Hq in France. SolidWorks is just a passenger in the slow motion train wreck.
SolidMuse

Unread post by SolidMuse »

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:36 pm I think I was spoiled with the old forum, I was used to response of some kind within a day or two, and even if no responses at least a couple dozen views in the first day.

image.png
They are just now figuring out the Swym platform is unusable???? More likely just now admitting it semi-publicly.
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:36 pm I think I was spoiled with the old forum, I was used to response of some kind within a day or two, and even if no responses at least a couple dozen views in the first day.

image.png
When John comes around, there's generally some cleaning up to do. I trust this man to bring the ship back to shore, and I haven't even really spoken to him in a few years, besides wishing him a welcome back about a week ago.
MJuric

Re: Does anyone actually use 3DExperience? Still waiting.......

Unread post by MJuric »

Ok, which one of you is responsible for this? ;;
image.png
Frederick_Law

Nice, now we can find post easier.
AlexLachance

MJuric wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:55 am Ok, which one of you is responsible for this? ;;
image.png
lmfao :lol: :lol: :lol:

UU to whoever did this, made me also spit my drink lol
AlexB
Answers: 25

Unread post by AlexB »

MJuric wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:55 am Ok, which one of you is responsible for this?
Literally 6WTFTags
jcapriotti

MJuric wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:55 am Ok, which one of you is responsible for this? ;;
image.png
Nice......this is what happens when you let users run wild with tags. Just look at the state of hashtags out there.
#SwampJustGotReal
Jason
Frederick_Law

The SwYmP is getting better:
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... kBM5dzymww

This is where it start:
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... QeFh4Jj2RA

Hope I get kick out from the SwYmP UU ;;
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:29 am The SwYmP is getting better:
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... kBM5dzymww

This is where it start:
https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... QeFh4Jj2RA

Hope I get kick out from the SwYmP UU ;;
Stop peeing in people's cereals. :lol: