Watercooler Talk

For things you would put in a kitty dump.
zxys001
Answers: 4

Re: Watercooler Talk

Unread post by zxys001 »

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:49 pm I couldn't help myself.

https://r1132100503382-eu1-3dswym.3dexp ... 6pI8fsFH4w

image.png
...yeah, turn on the computer, turn on the camera and "Strike a pose",.. **
"Democracies aren't overthrown; they're given away." -George Lucas
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
CarrieIves
Answers: 2

Unread post by CarrieIves »

I only had to restart my browser about 4 times (since the SolidWorks customer portal is so stable) to vote on the 42 enhancement requests I had from the SolidWorks top 10 list voting. But at least it's Friday.

The best error was when I was told I didn't have permission to go to www.solidworks.com.
bnemec
Answers: 10

Unread post by bnemec »

CarrieIves wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 pm I only had to restart my browser about 4 times (since the SolidWorks customer portal is so stable) to vote on the 42 enhancement requests I had from the SolidWorks top 10 list voting. But at least it's Friday.

The best error was when I was told I didn't have permission to go to www.solidworks.com.
Sounds like it went slightly better than average then. I think they leave it that way to filter out all the people that aren't serious. You've heard of "burner phones"; well, if you're going to be using the Solidworks Customer Portal you'd best us a "Burner Browser". One you can install to use SWCP then uninstall right away.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

CarrieIves wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:37 pm I only had to restart my browser about 4 times (since the SolidWorks customer portal is so stable) to vote on the 42 enhancement requests I had from the SolidWorks top 10 list voting. But at least it's Friday.

Ahhh, I remember the good ol' days when the TTL had a LOT of participation with great ideas, great constructive comments, and lots of votes. It even had an occasional conscience for SWX with ONE and TWO! (Go figure! I cannot find that actual post now that everything has been smoothly migrated to the new 3DSwamp forum.)

Today, that flash of conscience for SWX would be ONE and TWO and THREE! (Bug Fixes, Stability, and a WORKABLE FORUM!) *

* With all due respect to @matt, this forum is great; it is just not the "official SWX forum".
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch
mattpeneguy

Unread post by mattpeneguy »

DennisD wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:11 pm Ahhh, I remember the good ol' days when the TTL had a LOT of participation with great ideas, great constructive comments, and lots of votes. It even had an occasional conscience for SWX with ONE and TWO! (Go figure! I cannot find that actual post now that everything has been smoothly migrated to the new 3DSwamp forum.)

Today, that flash of conscience for SWX would be ONE and TWO and THREE! (Bug Fixes, Stability, and a WORKABLE FORUM!) *

* With all due respect to @matt, this forum is great; it is just not better than the "official SWX forum".
FTFY...And I think overall, it's better than the old forum. Only thing missing is "branch" and I miss my points...
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

Hey SW/DS Corp science shows grapes do matter. Don't short the users, you know what I'm say'n?!
“We only protect what we love, we only love what we understand, and we only understand what we are taught.” - Jacques Cousteau
Frederick_Law
Answers: 8

Unread post by Frederick_Law »

I'll take the cucumber
zwei
Answers: 18

Unread post by zwei »

8-)
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
mattpeneguy

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:32 pm 8-)
image.png
image.png (31.53 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
You obviously have too many components in your assembly...Reduce the number to 3 and you should be fine.
SPerman
Answers: 13

Unread post by SPerman »

This happened about 30 minutes after I left work yesterday. #1 on the map is our shop. #2 is the crash location. It sounds like the pilot lost an engine on takeoff.

https://www.wxii12.com/article/davidson ... 5/39113390

image.png
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
mattpeneguy

SPerman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:32 am This happened about 30 minutes after I left work yesterday. #1 on the map is our shop. #2 is the crash location. It sounds like the pilot lost an engine on takeoff.

https://www.wxii12.com/article/davidson ... 5/39113390

image.png
From the stats I found, it appears that all variants of the Beechcraft Baron should be able to climb with one engine. So, if it was engine loss, there's possibly something else that also went wrong.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

I heard 3rd hand that the controller in the tower saw the left engine catch fire while the pilot was accelerating for take-off. Other than that all I know is what is being reported by the media. I'm sure it will take months for the NTSB to do a full investigation.
-
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. -Douglas Adams
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

We had to drive past the crash site on the way to lunch. The plane hit the tractor trailer hard enough to spin it 180 degrees and knock it onto its side. The tractor trailer is still on the side of the interstate, along with the tail of the plane.
-
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

SPerman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 am I heard 3rd hand that the controller in the tower saw the left engine catch fire while the pilot was accelerating for take-off. Other than that all I know is what is being reported by the media. I'm sure it will take months for the NTSB to do a full investigation.
If you're interested in General Aviation safety reading NTSB reports is a good thing to do. I'd suggest it to any student pilot, not to scare them out of the cockpit, but to gain an awareness. The AOPA and EAA are very active in promoting awareness and improving safety in GA and try to work closely with the NTSB, as well as the FAA. There are several sessions at EAA every year about safety, I have attended a couple presentations by NTSB members. Vast majority of GA incidents are Loss Of Control (LOC) followed by Controlled Flight Into Terrain. Of the LOC most of those are in the pattern, close to airport. Pattern altitude is usually 1000ft above ground level and also airspeed is lowest of any phase of flight, typically.

Not specific to this incident, but from reading other NTSB reports:
Although most twin-engine aircraft can maintain altitude at max rated take-off weight they will not maneuver very well in that configuration. Struggling to gain altitude, maintain air speed and a strong desire to turn around to get back to the airport is a very tough position to be in. What would normally be a safe rate of turn for two engines at full power may actually be a bank angle that will induce a stall-spin if an engine is out, especially if the critical engine failed (when both engines rotate the same way one engine is more critical than the other.) A stall-spin at 1000'AGL is very difficult to recover from.

More importantly, thinking of the family of this pilot; may God watch over them in the tough time.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

bnemec wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:09 pm
Not specific to this incident, but from reading other NTSB reports:
Although most twin-engine aircraft can maintain altitude at max rated take-off weight they will not maneuver very well in that configuration. Struggling to gain altitude, maintain air speed and a strong desire to turn around to get back to the airport is a very tough position to be in. What would normally be a safe rate of turn for two engines at full power may actually be a bank angle that will induce a stall-spin if an engine is out, especially if the critical engine failed (when both engines rotate the same way one engine is more critical than the other.) A stall-spin at 1000'AGL is very difficult to recover from.

More importantly, thinking of the family of this pilot; may God watch over them in the tough time.
That is similar to what I've been reading this morning. What the plane can do is significantly different than what the pilot can do in an "oh $#!+" situation.

Based on where the runway ended, and the crash occurred, I doubt if he had more than a couple of hundred feet of elevation at the highest point. My guess is he knew he was going down and headed to the interstate. At 2AM he might have made it, but in rush hour traffic that wasn't much better than the groves of trees on either side.
-
Jaylin Hochstetler

Unread post by Jaylin Hochstetler »

I'm going to be out all of next week. Going down to West Lake, Louisiana. Helping with rebuilding after the hurricanes. Looking forward to the warmer weather. @mattpeneguy, what is the weather looking like down there?

Edit to add: Also looking forward to eating crawfish. Crawfish in season yet down there, @mattpeneguy?
A goal is only a wish until backed by a plan.
mattpeneguy

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:45 am I'm going to be out all of next week. Going down to West Lake, Louisiana. Helping with rebuilding after the hurricanes. Looking forward to the warmer weather. @mattpeneguy, what is the weather looking like down there?

Edit to add: Also looking forward to eating crawfish. Crawfish in season yet down there, @mattpeneguy?
We appreciate any help you Yankees can give us.

I had to look up Westlake, it's on the other side of Lake Charles, which is 2 hours away.

Weather looks like it's going to get a little cold, but not too bad. The leaves are changing colors this time of year...Winter will be here soon... (kinda sarcastic, but not totally. 4 weeks ago, I snapped a picture on the way to New Orleans and the leaves were all turning colors).
image.png
Yes, you can get crawfish this time of year. It's just expensive...and with inflation, it's pretty darn high. But you can get 2lbs instead of 4 or 5. Restaurants will generally just serve 2 or 3 lbs when the prices are this high. Just ask before you order how many lbs and the price.
image.png
You could always get the crawfish live and boil them yourself to save some money...Here's some instructions (I recommend others also watch this video also, it's very informative):
Jaylin Hochstetler

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:38 am Weather looks like it's going to get a little cold, but not too bad. The leaves are changing colors this time of year...Winter will be here soon... (kinda sarcastic, but not totally. 4 weeks ago, I snapped a picture on the way to New Orleans and the leaves were all turning colors).
image.png
What do you mean it'll be cold?! 85 deg. that's hot around here. It was 11 deg when I got up this morn with about 2 in of snow.
mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:38 am
You could always get the crawfish live and boil them yourself to save some money...Here's some instructions (I recommend others also watch this video also, it's very informative):
That's what we did last year when we were down there. We bought a big cooler full of them from a local crawfish farm and boiled them. Good stuff...
mattpeneguy

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:58 am What do you mean it'll be cold?! 85 deg. that's hot around here. It was 11 deg when I got up this morn with about 2 in of snow.
37F is cold down here. It's a big deal when there's a hard freeze here because a lot of our houses are off the ground and nobody insulates their pipes...Last year was terrible. I was fixing pipes for a couple of weeks. The local plumbers buy up all the fittings when this happens. So, you have to be creative to fix the pipes. If you see some weird transitions to odd sizes and back again, and you're scratching your head as to what the person was thinking, that could be the explanation.
That's what we did last year when we were down there. We bought a big cooler full of them from a local crawfish farm and boiled them. Good stuff...
Well, then you will find the video funny too.
It's been a while since I've boiled any, but we pick them up boiled locally. Before Covid, both our local grocery stores would boil them. That was nice because they'd compete with each other and you could get them for $1/lb.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Why are the potatoes black?
-
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

mattpeneguy wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:31 am . . . If you see some weird transitions to odd sizes and back again, and you're scratching your head as to what the person was thinking, that could be the explanation.
There's another possibility. A few years ago I discovered a water leak late in the afternoon, after the local hardware store had closed. I thought it wasn't a problem, since we had a Tractor Supply store close by. I went there, found all the PVC fittings I needed, then asked a sales person where the pipe was. It was outside . . . and they only had schedule 10. Not a single stick of schedule 40.

I put all the PVC parts back and got enough galvanized fittings and pipe nipples to make it work.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
mattpeneguy

Glenn Schroeder wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:53 am There's another possibility. A few years ago I discovered a water leak late in the afternoon, after the local hardware store had closed. I thought it wasn't a problem, since we had a Tractor Supply store close by. I went there, found all the PVC fittings I needed, then asked a sales person where the pipe was. It was outside . . . and they only had schedule 10. Not a single stick of schedule 40.

I put all the PVC parts back and got enough galvanized fittings and pipe nipples to make it work.
Very true. We have the same problem. The only thing open on weekends after noon is TS and Walmart.
AlexLachance
Answers: 17

Unread post by AlexLachance »

This weekend and next week will be "interesting" in Canada, hopefully a judge will overturn the emergency act that was brought up by Trudeau or things will turn ugly. Ottawa's been under siege for 24 days now and this weekend I believe a siege will begin at Quebec also. I might be joining the Quebec siege if that is the case.

I will and must stand for freedom. What is happening in my country is disgusting.
Tom G
Answers: 0

Unread post by Tom G »

SPerman wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:31 am I heard 3rd hand that the controller in the tower saw the left engine catch fire while the pilot was accelerating for take-off. Other than that all I know is what is being reported by the media. I'm sure it will take months for the NTSB to do a full investigation.
1st, I don't know. I wasn't there. Just to say broadly that anything is possible.

I did know a rich guy who liked flying better than understanding safety. He took off and lost all engine power within hundreds of feet of the runway, nosedived and died in the crash. What had happened was, he did not remove the foam cowling plugs from the front of the engine, as a step in the pre-flight checklist. These are present to keep animals and such out of the engine while parked, and must be removed prior to use. Once he reached a certain speed, the foam was sucked right into the engine, and he was controlling an expensive rock.
Jaylin Hochstetler

Jaylin Hochstetler wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:45 am I'm going to be out all of next week. Going down to West Lake, Louisiana. Helping with rebuilding after the hurricanes. Looking forward to the warmer weather. @mattpeneguy, what is the weather looking like down there?

I had a good time down there. Had shrimp instead of crawfish which are just as good or better. Weather wasn't great but better than here. Cloudy and rainy most of the week.
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Welcome back, @Frederick_Law
-
AlexLachance

The Flaw needs no introduction! We welcome all refugees.
Frederick_Law

UU
AlexLachance

Hey guys, hopefully everyone has a great week ahead of them!

I was wondering, does anyone know if it's possible to forward calls from a landline to a Facebook line? The reason I ask is that my cellphone kind of "died" on me this weekend, and until the new one comes in through mail, I'd like to be able to pick up my calls if needed. If I could transfer them to my Facebook, then I could just answer from Facebook on a computer
Frederick_Law

Don't have a old phone? Just put the sim card in and you'll get phone calls.
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:52 pm Don't have a old phone? Just put the sim card in and you'll get phone calls.
Old phone died in one of those boys nights out. My last few phones have had it rough lol
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Not sure have i share this before.... but sometimes i really wonder what people is thinking when they apply colour

Green for not compatible o[
image.png
Far too many items in the world are designed, constructed and foisted upon us with no understanding-or even care-for how we will use them.
AlexLachance

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:36 am Not sure have i share this before.... but sometimes i really wonder what people is thinking when they apply colour

Green for not compatible o[

image.png
and a light grey font on a white background, I feel ya man!
Frederick_Law

Red Green color blind?
AlexLachance

Frederick_Law wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:41 am Red Green color blind?
If you're trying to fix something about color blindness, don't go with colors ;;

For real, if we speak of those who only see black and white then, that solution would be useless lol

Edit: But, reading your post reminds me that, The Red and Green show was an awesome show UU
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:52 am Edit: But, reading your post reminds me that, The Red and Green show was an awesome show UU
Remember when Harold got his first Swiss Army knife?
AlexLachance

bnemec wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:12 pm Remember when Harold got his first Swiss Army knife?
That's a classic :lol: UU
Glenn Schroeder
Answers: 22

Unread post by Glenn Schroeder »

bnemec wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:12 pm Remember when Harold got his first Swiss Army knife?
I liked when Red couldn't figure out what to use to repair some dryer duct. He uses duct tape for everything else, but it didn't occur to him to use it for its intended purpose.
"On the days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days."

Ray Wylie Hubbard in his song "Mother Blues"
SPerman

Unread post by SPerman »

Growing up in the era of black and white tv's I always assumed that color blindness meant you see in black and white. Then I learned I was colorblind. For the vast majority of colorblind people you still see in full color, but there are certain colors that are difficult to distinguish.

"There are seven official diagnoses of color blindness: four different types of color blindness fall in the red-green category, two are in the blue-yellow spectrum and one version describes a type of vision completely lacking in color"

https://www.allaboutvision.com/conditio ... blindness/
-
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Came across this post from my VAR... https://www.cad-vision.com.my/solidwork ... shortcuts/

The amount of inaccuracies/error o[
image.png
image.png
image.png
zwei

Unread post by zwei »

Ranting here a bit...

This is our "NEW And UPDATED" JIRA interface...
image.png
Which genius think it is a good idea to make a user-input field grey?
zxys001

Unread post by zxys001 »

bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Zhen-Wei Tee wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:41 am Ranting here a bit...

This is our "NEW And UPDATED" JIRA interface...
image.png

Which genius think it is a good idea to make a user-input field grey?
I see the problem: you're still assuming they want user input.
Tom G

Unread post by Tom G »

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/ ... ble-on-pc/

TL,DR: New capabilities for developers to use all of the speed available to NVMe SSDs. Directly intended for game developers.

The very first comment on this page entirely echoes my first reaction:
Charles Harington
Is their any chance this may trickle through to cad applications to reduce load times and RAM dependence?
I could also see this being applied for video editing and other data-intensive high computing uses.

After a year or two, we will see who takes advantage of this and who doesn't. You would hear about how amazing it is for those who do. New in YourCADSoftware 2023, let's hope.

Seriously off-topic, happy Everything You Think Is Wrong Day !
bnemec

Unread post by bnemec »

Tom G wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:25 am https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/ ... ble-on-pc/

TL,DR: New capabilities for developers to use all of the speed available to NVMe SSDs. Directly intended for game developers.

The very first comment on this page entirely echoes my first reaction:

I could also see this being applied for video editing and other data-intensive high computing uses.

After a year or two, we will see who takes advantage of this and who doesn't. You would hear about how amazing it is for those who do. New in YourCADSoftware 2023, let's hope.

Seriously off-topic, happy Everything You Think Is Wrong Day !
Customer to SW tech support: Hi, I'm having troubles opening files this morning.
SW tech support: Make sure that you have certified NVMe SSD and driver per our certified hardware page . . .

Always looking for the next performance enhancement that needs disabled. ;)
AlexLachance

Well, I just got the results today of the last scans I've gone through, and they've came in clean, so I'm not quite sure how I should feel about this, because I think I've gone through another seizure last week while I was sleeping... I'm also having a lot of little issues with short tem memory, and have some periodic "brain spikes" that make me freeze for a second or two when they happen.

Kinda glad that they came in clean, because it's kind of relieving, but it's not so relieving to know that I'm still having some little issues even with clean scans... Could it be the meds I'm taking? I'll have another appointment next week with my doc to look again into this.

Spring's around the corner, so the nice weather should help get my mind off of this.
VicFrauenfeld

Unread post by VicFrauenfeld »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:18 am Well, I just got the results today of the last scans I've gone through, and they've came in clean, so I'm not quite sure how I should feel about this, because I think I've gone through another seizure last week while I was sleeping... I'm also having a lot of little issues with short tem memory, and have some periodic "brain spikes" that make me freeze for a second or two when they happen.

Kinda glad that they came in clean, because it's kind of relieving, but it's not so relieving to know that I'm still having some little issues even with clean scans... Could it be the meds I'm taking? I'll have another appointment next week with my doc to look again into this.

Spring's around the corner, so the nice weather should help get my mind off of this.
@AlexLachance I send you prayers for peace, understanding and strength. Sometimes it is hard to get what we think is the answer. However, we can always have peace and understanding of any situation we are in. I am not trying to "push" anything on you (or anyone else), but I know my God gives me strength when I am going through times of "needing answers" and that strength gives me peace and understanding of what is important. I have gone through a health issue in my life and I believe that my relationship with Him is the only thing that got me through it.
Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
mattpeneguy

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:18 am Well, I just got the results today of the last scans I've gone through, and they've came in clean, so I'm not quite sure how I should feel about this, because I think I've gone through another seizure last week while I was sleeping... I'm also having a lot of little issues with short tem memory, and have some periodic "brain spikes" that make me freeze for a second or two when they happen.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

All right, let's get into this and see if we can help.

What meds are you taking? Do they interfere with absorption of anything (vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins, etc.)? If your doctors haven't discussed this with you, find new ones.

It may be worth discussing a ketogenic diet with your doctors. In some cases it has helped with seizures. I'm not sure they understand how it works, but it has in some cases.
https://www.epilepsy.com/learn/treating ... genic-diet

Also there are supplements that claim to help with brain function. The problem is that there's not a lot of money in studying them. So, unless something like a veterinarian figures it out for dogs or cats, a lot of the time its all just anecdotal evidence. But, magnesium is possibly a problem if your level is low. Up until pretty recently I had no idea I was low on magnesium and it was the culprit for cramps I'd get when working outside. I thought it was potassium, and had been taking that. But lack of magnesium causes your body to purge potassium.
So, what is your magnesium level?
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/condition-2299/seizures
This one seemed to work for me for cramps:

I think the only side effect is it'll give you an upset stomach if you take it and you don't need it or you take a little too much.
If you don't want to go the supplement route, almonds have magnesium. You could pick up a bag and eat a handful a couple times a day and see if you see a difference? Huh, just looked it up, spinach, peanuts, and cashews are also decent sources but pumpkin seeds (kernels) have over twice the magnesium than any of the others.
But, I'm not a doctor so definitely don't go experimenting without consulting yours based on anything I've posted.

Have you started a journal? Try recording what you eat and drink, as well as things like sleep. Collect as much info as possible. Something could be triggering this. Pollen levels are high right now here. That's something I'd be recording in a journal. It's hard piecing things together after an event and finding correlations where one or more of which could be a causation.
AlexLachance

mattpeneguy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:52 pm I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

All right, let's get into this and see if we can help.

What meds are you taking? Do they interfere with absorption of anything (vitamins, minerals, fats, proteins, etc.)? If your doctors haven't discussed this with you, find new ones.

Have you started a journal? Try recording what you eat and drink, as well as things like sleep. Collect as much info as possible. Something could be triggering this. Pollen levels are high right now here. That's something I'd be recording in a journal. It's hard piecing things together after an event and finding correlations where one or more of which could be a causation.
I'll be looking to get a second opinion from another doctor that's for sure. I'll also be checking in this weekend with an Osteopath.

The journal's a good idea, I've been "monitoring" myself, but I've got nothing written down, and my memory is, well, tricky. I went through a few treatments such as acupuncture when I was younger to help with my asthma and allergies, so perhaps I'll have to restart these. I'll definetly start noting things down as you said. It'll be easier to then glance over the matter and try to figure things out.

I've thought about sleep apnea, since it is common in my family and that I do snore a lot, but my doctor just didn't want to hear it.
DennisD
Answers: 1

Unread post by DennisD »

AlexLachance wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:18 pm <snip>
I've thought about sleep apnea, since it is common in my family and that I do snore a lot, but my doctor just didn't want to hear it.
I see what you did there. ;;
Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls aren't there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want things.
- - -Randy Pausch